“Good hotel, IF it's the right fit for you.” 4 of 5 stars

Bed & Breakfast at Andaz
Ranked #54 of 281 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Olympia WA
“Good hotel, IF it's the right fit for you.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Overall, it's a very nice hotel IF the fit is right for you.

This is a hotel that very much caters to the young & hip crowd. (Full disclosure: I'm 50, so that isn't really me, and never has been.) Two points may help illustrate this.

First, the hotel has not one, not two, but three nightclubs and on Fridays and Saturdays, it's swamped. There's a velvet rope with people waiting to get in, you have to show your room key to get into the lobby, ditto to get into the elevator. The noise level was, surprisingly, not a problem and I'm pretty sensitive to noise, but this property is clearly aiming to be an uber-hip hotel.

Second, the shower in the room was see-through. Completely. There was a floor to ceiling glass wall between the shower and the bedroom. Not glazed, perfectly clear glass. If you're sharing a room, it is impossible to use the shower without giving the other person a full monty shower show. If that sounds like fun to you and whomever you're sharing the room with, go for it. If that's sounds a little more exhibitionist than is your taste, this hotel's style might not be for you.

Also, in general the staff was very good, but there were no fewer than three odd issues during a three-night stay. First, the check-in process took about half an hour. Eventually they had to cancel my reservation and create a new one. Staff handled it very well. Several times they offered me water or coffee or a drink while I waited and eventually knocked some off my room rate as an apology. So A+ for staff in this case, but it did nothing to convince me that their checkin process works well.

Second, they offered that they have memory foam pillows. I have a Tempurpedic mattress and pillow at home so I said I'd like one. Didn't get one. Next day, I politely mentioned it the front desk as I left for the day. They assured me one would be in the room when I returned. It wasn't. The pillows in the room were fine, but my approach is always "don't promise something you can't deliver."

Finally, the check out process was not smooth. I had to leave early for an early morning flight. I even got my bill printed off the night before, which they assured me wasn't necessary. I also asked the valet parking and they assured me someone was there 24/7, just phone down 10 minutes beforehand. The next morning, I phone down to get my car retrieved. The phone rang 20 times and wasn't answered. I gathered up my stuff and went downstairs. The guy at the front desk apologized and explained he was the only one working. There was no one at valet. He had to wait for someone at security to come watch the front desk, then he had to go around and get my car. Good thing I had checked out before, good thing I always leave an extra few minutes early, and good thing I was the only one checking it at that time! As it was, I had to wait downstairs for 10-15 minutes rather than being able to call down and have the car waiting. It would have been much worse if there has been multiple guests leaving for an early morning flight when this poor guy was all by himself.

So mixed feelings about this visit. Very nice hotel, but not really my style which is a bit more sedate, and while I'm willing to easily forgive little things, three odd experiences in a three night stay starts feeling like a pattern rather than an exception.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank canadianphil

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

I got a great deal from Priceline. The hotel is less than 3 minute walk to all the restaurants/shopping in the Gaslamp district. I can walk to the waterfront comfortably in 10 to 15 minutes. The hotel room is spacious. And Andaz offers a lot of free beverages. I also quite like the rooftop. The hotel valet parking ($35) is expensive. But I found a lot of parking less than two blocks away with lower price. Would definitely come back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

This hotel wants to be a "W" want to be and acts like its hip but it comes off as pretentious.
CHECK IN: I'm not impressed that they use iPads ( which of course they told me at least 2 times) to check me in so long as the reception is quick and seamless, which it isn't here. You can't tell who is a greeter/host and who is not and you're not sure where to or to whom you go to check in. At least 2 other guests ended up talking to someone who wasn't a check in agent and they got very frustrated by it.
FACILITIES: The hotel itself is very worn and needs a lot of TLC. The carpets in the halls were heavily stained, ripped in spots and didn't appear to get vacuumed too often as I saw the same piece of trash on the floor 3 days in a row. The hall walls are scuffed and dinged and need a paint job.
They also use a wood laminate floor through out and several places in the buildings showed raw wood and heavy damage that had not been addressed. The wood flooring in my bath was uneven and may have had water damage in the past.
They have no parking per se but use a lot around the corner and charge $35/day which is pretty hefty compared to other hotels I've stayed at in San Diego.
NOISE: They have a disco and bar on the roof and the first floor during the weekends. Even being on the 4th floor you could sometimes hear the beat of the music in your room as well as drunk guests in the halls. Likewise, guests used a metal stairwell that is in the inner open center of the hotel and having a room that faced the inner wall you could hear the clanging of the footsteps on the metal treads as well as the language of the guests. When I mentioned this to a "host" I was informed it's a work in progress and they would look into it.
Rooms: Despite all that, the beds were comfortable, had great sheets and pillows and were nicely appointed with free drinks and snacks. The room could use more than 1 chair especially when 2 people share the room.
LOCATION: in the Gaslamp District so its convenient to restaurants and other San Diego attractions.
Would I go back? Probably not given the number of other good hotels in San Diego.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the outside of the building, on the 3rd or 4th floor to avoid noise from the disc...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I felt compelled to add my voice to the crowd of folks who have complimented the Andaz Staff, location and service. I was upgraded to the Star Suite last night and what a wow. I highly recommend this particular suite for a great girls night out, bachelorette party, 21st birthday celebration, etc. Perfect on so many levels. And even at standard rates, a phenomenal deal.

For those with a more low key event or business meeting to plan, my company has used the Andaz and always been really well taken care from help with budgets to catering to the actual meeting room, heck even their AV guys deserve applause.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank reach4distance
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

This is one of the best hotel in the Hyatt band. Great customer service and location. It has Katsuya sushi in the lobby. The hotel rooms are a great as well as the top restaurants with in walking distance. It is in the gaslamp quarter.

1 Thank FERNANDO T
Smyrna, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

The Andaz in San Diego's Gaslamp Quarter was an amazing hotel! The location is perfect-in the heart of downtown San Diego. You can walk to a Starbucks and tons of other restaurants and bars. The roof top pool and bar were paradise...without the sand! The staff was one of the best I've ever experienced. From Rueben, who checked us in, to Brian our bartender...and every single one of the valets - we got excellent recommendations for breakfast, dinner and everything in between. Seriously, staying at this hotel will guarantee an amazing vacation! My husband and I loved staying here. Our only 2 complaints, as small as they are, were that there was no full length mirrors in the room. (Ok, that was my complaint.) And it seemed like the wine bottles in the wine bar machines were always empty. Other than that, everything about Andaz was perfect!

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor and loved it. Our corner room didn't have a view but we didn't mind...
1 Thank ALu80_GA
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

This is a fantastic boutique hotel (a Hyatt property, but you'd never know it as there's no in-your-face branding). The staff is extremely well trained and eager to help in any way they can, you are greeted with a glass of wine while someone with an iPad checks you in (no need to stand in lines), and the rooms are hip, clean, large and comfortable. The hotel is only 1 block from the Gaslamp district, with all the clubs and restaurants. And if you want to check out the clubs at the hotel (rooftop pool club as well as a sexy basement club) the front desk is happy to give you a wristband so you don't have to wait in line. Attention to detail is great, e.g. at night each elevator has an attendant to prevent non-guests from exiting at any of the floors with rooms.

I hate not giving this a 5 star review, but the only fly in the ointment is that the room windows are not double-paned or sound insulated. And being 1 block off Gaslamp makes for some late night noise that goes above normal city sounds.

All in all, an absolute gem and we look forward to coming back again and again.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor (there are only 6), and the king rooms with exhibition showers are fantastic.