“Pure Luxury in a perfect location” 5 of 5 stars

Bed & Breakfast at Andaz
Ranked #54 of 281 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“Pure Luxury in a perfect location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I stayed in a large double room with 2 other friends. While it was slightly out of season, San Diego was still very warm and lively.

The service at the Andaz was second to none. Probably the best service I've ever come across on any holiday. When we arrived the staff were ready and keen to help us.

The location of the hotel was right in the Gas Lamp Quarter, and there are bars and restaurants within seconds of leaving the hotel.

The room was immaculate and presented very well. The shower room was modern and clean and very roomy, as was the main body of the room.

I must make a special mention of the on site facilities. A roof top pool, bar, a club and yet another bar. You could literally spend your entire stay inside the hotel.

I will be returning to the Andaz.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
Rusty_Middleton, General Manager at Andaz San Diego, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear Jamie_Christopher,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review of Andaz San Diego! I am thrilled that you enjoyed the service that our team provided you and the amenities on property. It is our goal to make Andaz San Diego a home away from home for each of our guests by providing a relaxing and uncomplicated experience combined with endless opportunities for entertainment, reflective of the Gaslamp Quarter.

I look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to Andaz San Diego the next time you are in the area!

Warm regards,
Rusty Middleton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Both the common areas and the rooms are quite modern and the layout is fun and unique. The staff was top notch and very helpful. Was in San Diego for business and the location was perfect for the area I needed to be in. The only drawbacks - - at night the street front is quite loud as there are a few bars/clubs in the building, and drunken conversations are abundant. Luckily I was so tired each day it didn't really matter. The only other thing was while showering the first night (in the super cool modern shower), there was a corner where there were some black markings that were different that the rest of the stone so i touched it and they were hairs. That kind of grossed me out. I did a little experiment and left it there to see if the cleaner would notice it - to see how thoroughly they clean the showers - and it was there the next night too when I returned. Not a huge deal, but makes me wonder. All in all, I liked the place and if I go back I will stay there again, no question. I just have to make sure to shoot down the shower beforehand ;-)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

Great welcome from Nicole when we arrived, she couldn't have been more helpful. Room was lovely. Great location in the gaslamp quater, very central for everything. All staff we dealt with were extremely helpful. Would highly recommend this hotel for service, cleanliness & comfort.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Hoderc,

Thank you for the nice recommendation of Andaz San Diego! I am pleased that you enjoyed the property and will be sure to pass your kind words on to Nicole. I hope to welcome you back to the next time that you are in the area.

Best,
Rusty Middleton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We stayed there for Friday night with two children. The noise was loud and, like other reviewers have mentioned, it's probably bad in all rooms as our high-floor internal room got a lot of noise too, mostly from the roof top party. Fortunately the kids were too tired to be bothered. We also run into quite a few people in the lobby that dressed for night club.

Apparently I made a bad choice in picking the hotel for the family stay, but I can't fault the hotel for that. The hotel is overall great and deserves a 4 star -- it's clean, has great service, good breakfast, and great location. The roof-top and pool are really nice although we didn't get to use the pool. We did use and appreciate the free escalade car service, which can take you to anywhere in 2 mile radius.

I would recommend it to anybody who is not traveling with kids.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
Tucson, AZ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Let me say first that I love Andaz hotels. But someone, somewhere made the unfathomably stupid decision to put a nightclub in this property. I had a terrific two nights on Tuesday and Wednesday, and got back to my room on Thursday night to find my room pulsing with bass from the club downstairs. Apparently the whole hotel is affected -- on the upper floors you get noise from the DJ at the rooftop bar, on the opposite side of the hotel you get street noise from people waiting to get into the club. I have absolutely no idea what they are thinking here -- they are damaging their brand. If this had been the first Andaz I'd stayed at, it would've been my last.

Hotel staff was very helpful in transferring me over to the Grand Hyatt a mile away. Not as nice, but at least not fatally flawed. Surreal.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank paleshadow
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Unlike my stay at the NYC Andaz I was not impressed with this Andaz, very noisy, service was slow - valet parking in particular, the free mini bar that Andaz's boast of was actually more filled with things they want to charge you for as were the snack trays ($5 for a pack of .79 Oreo cookies??) all in all way too commercial of them I thought. Breakfast was mediocre although the setting was nice on the rooftop. Can't recommend this hotel, alas

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gic1953
Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Not a terrible place. Good location, decent rooms, cool design. Service is overwhelming to a fault and a bit superficial. The rooftop is awesome, but that comes with a downside.....

My girlfriend and I wanted a quiet long weekend in the sun and stayed here Wed-Sun. Starting Thursday night, both the rooftop and downstairs club take over the Andaz. Bouncers man the doors to the hotel and stand in the elevators, while a long line forms on the sidewalk outside and line ropes fill the lobby. Not the most welcoming way to "come home". As the party on the roof escalated around midnight, the bass pounded through the ceiling of our 6th (top) floor room, making it very difficult to sleep. We requested a quieter room the next day and were downgraded from king to queen on a different floor. A HUGE downgrade in size and quality accompanied by no offer to upgrade or comp room/drinks/etc., as might be expected at a hotel focused on delivering an excellent guest experience and high service. And, while somewhat quieter, we could still hear bass late at night during the rest of our stay.

We travel a lot for fun and work, and never complain about slightly disappointing experiences, but felt that this required a review.

Bottom line: if you want a crash pad that is club first, hotel second, the Andaz is for you. If you're looking for a quiet place to sleep with genuinely impeccable service, San Diego has plenty of great alternatives.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple