“Very good hotel in Gaslamp”
Review of Andaz San Diego

Andaz San Diego
Ranked #72 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Verona, Italy
“Very good hotel in Gaslamp”
Reviewed May 27, 2012

Beautifully located in central San Diego, this is intended to be a luxury hotel. Our room was a bit small and dark, but very clean and full of nice amenities. The 'a la carte' breakfast in the rooftop is of very good quality. The rooftop itself is a nightclub, I strongly recommend to go there on saturday night... Hotel guests have a preferential access.

• Stayed May 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
San Diego, California
Reviewed May 26, 2012

We booked one night on a holiday weekend to have a stay-cation. The service was incredible. Everyone from the valet, host desk, room service and bartenders were amazing. Our room was a street side king. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was very nice. No door on the outer bathroom so plan on showering in full view. We loved the complementary drinks and snacks in the room and was very happy they provided a car service to take us to dinner. We spent some time at the rooftop bar and although the drinks were $$$, they were worth it. Only thing not perfect was the noise level. Being close to 6th and a holiday weekend, it sounded like a party in our room till after 2am. Not a big deal if that is what your there for. We will be staying again. Almost forgot, LOVE the iPhone dock. It was not like other hotels. This one had amazing sound. Nice touch.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Amie S
Benicia, California
Reviewed May 26, 2012

My better half had a conference in SD and I decided to tag along for the boondoggle! SD is one of my favorite cities and I would never pass up the chance to visit. The Andaz is a fantastic hotel! Great vibe and feel even for the 35 to 40 + crowd - did not visit the basement club as those crazy all nighters are now behind us. We were more down with the rooftop bar for drinks in the evening and then venturing out for dinner and a little more refined club experience. Our room was very nice. Clean and well appointed. Very quiet even with the nightlife activity starting on Taco Tuesday night. Two great things I want to acknowledge:

First, breakfast on the rooftop was fantastic each morning. My wife and I love and appreciate good eats and the breakfast never disappointed! The breakfast burrito was quite good but if you really want a treat go for the Blueberry Recotta Short Stack with eggs and bacon. So very good...

Second, Adam at the front desk. This guy is a true asset to the hotel! Spent much time talking with us during our stay about restaraunt recommendations in the area and really cared about our experience. Everyone was great but Adam truly stood out! Also, appreciated walking into a wine reception each evening at the front desk. Nice touch!

If you appreciate luxury, exceptional service and great value then I would highly recommend the Andaz San Diego. My wife and I agree that this is our hotel next time we visit SD. The only thing I wanted and did not get during our stay was the recipe for the Blueberry Ricotta Pancakes...perhaps Adam can help?

Room Tip: Go for the fourth floor to avoid the club noise. Corner room is best. Breakfast on the rooftop.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jason G
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed May 24, 2012

I decided to take my girlfriend to San Diego for the first time in April. What a beautiful city! The hotel was very subpar, small rooms, walls were very thin, though very clean, and were very overpriced, as well as the drinks up stairs. We flew in around 11:30 p.m., called the hotel for a shuttle which they say they have. The guy or concierge who answered the phone told me the shuttle will not come to the airport and pick me up. Not unable, he simply said the shuttle does not run to the airport and I will have to take a taxi. When we arrived at the hotel, their were two shuttles or escalades dropping people off for the rooftop bar(obviously high rollers). The hotel staff was very nice and accommodating, giving us the rundown on the hotel and nightclub.
The next night we came home from PB Beach, late. My girlfriend and I were outside smoking cigars on our patio or staircase, when we accidentally got locked out(my fault:)). I walked up stairs to the pool area, and got a hold of someone who unlocked the door for us. The next day we came in after our room was cleaned and our door was locked. We called downstairs and were told that they would not unlock the door for us, and we were not allowed out on the staircase anymore. Well why have the only door in the hotel to the staircase, and not be allowed outside.
A couple hours later we decided to go to the Padres game. I called down to the concierge asking for three tickets to the game. She told me that she was unable to book tickets for us, and that I would have to do it myself.
So overall, this supposed four star hotel really upset me, obviously. Everytime we walked into the hotel, my girlfriend was being checked out by the hotel staff. I am not a jealous guy, obviously men check out women... At bars, and restaurants, and anywhere else. But when you are an employee of a four star hotel, are you serious! Two stars!!! I have stayed in three star hotels in third world countries, that have better staff, services, and rooms.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jordan T
, General Manager at Andaz San Diego, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
Dear travelanywhere83,
Thank you for your comments regarding your most recent visit to San Diego. I am terribly sorry for your disappointing experience at our hotel. At Andaz we strive to exceed guests expectations and clearly this was not the case for you. Please email me at Rusty.Middleton@andaz.com so we can discuss. I hope to welcome you back so that we can provide a more accurate Andaz experience.
Warm Regards,
Rusty
Evanston, Illinois
Reviewed May 22, 2012

DH and I stayed at the Andaz hotel for 1 week for a convention. Great location, within walking distance to restaurants and to the convention center , there was a free shuttle as well.
Check In was quick, and our rooms were ready even though we reached early at twelve noon- kudos to them for that, we did not have to wait till 4 to check in.
The hotel was clean, the rooms were big enough with clean bathrooms. The decor was modern with clean lines.
The in- room bar had a great choice of beverages with free chips, chocolate and juices that were replaced regularly.
They replaced the coffee daily and housekeeping was excellent.
The room service was quick and efficient , we had breakfast and dinner and the food was tasty.
Check out was quick and the valet helped us hail a cab. I would definitely stay again .
Though we read reviews of noise, we had a really quiet corner room on the fifth floor and dint hear a peep even on the weekend.

Room Tip: Room 524 was quiet.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank rr3k29
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed May 19, 2012

I've intentionally waited five months since December 2011 to make this review.

My wife and I had the most romantic and well received hotel stay ever at the Andaz San Diego. This was a personal stay following an earlier business trip for a convention. Since this second visit we've been traveling around the US and internationally. I was expecting our experiences elsewhere to diminish our glow from the Andaz, but it hasn't. Quite the opposite. I expect our wistful comparisons to the Andaz to continue to be inevitable.

The luxury service at the Andaz is relaxed yet crisp. Being our second visit, we were keenly remembered. For recommendations and getting around, it was invigorating to be in such capable hands visiting this fun town. I could go on about the personalized service of certain employees who put in way too much effort surprising us with fun gifts.

I suppose when you have great people executing a great formula, you can't go wrong. We are saying thank you to the wonderful staff, but that really is an understatement. We also send our admiration and congratulations to the entire business organization.

--James and Sofi

Room Tip: The music at the dance club actually shuts off relatively early.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank James S
Reviewed May 13, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Andaz San Diego for 3 nights in early May. The hotel is in a great location in the Gaslamp Quarter. We were able to walk to the various attractions (Petco Park, USS Midway, etc.) and restaurants in the area. The hotel itself is very chic and modern. Our room was unique compared to the hotels we have stayed at in the past. It had a shower that was visible to the entire room so it is designed for couples only. The downfall to this is the automatic lights in the bathroom which will fill the room with light if you get up in the middle of the night, which can potentially wake up anyone that is sleeping. The other negative part of the room is the lack of closet space and drawers for clothes. The room seemed designed for a 1 or 2 night stay. We requested a quiet room due to the rooftop bar and we didn't have any issues with noise our entire stay. The staff was very helpful and took care of two minor problems (broken vanity mirror and iron) that we had during our stay. Overall, we had an enjoyable stay and would recommend the hotel to anyone that wants to be part of the action down in the Gaslamp Quarter.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple