“Makes you feel like a VIP”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Andaz San Diego

Andaz San Diego
Ranked #68 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Francisco, California
“Makes you feel like a VIP”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2011

I've stayed at several hotels in San Diego, and this place ranks among the best. Free drinks at check-in, complimentary snacks, sodas, and juice in mini bar, newspaper at your door upon request, and the hotel / room has a fresh smell to it. The rooftop pool, bar, and lounge area offers great views and a giant fire pit. The fitness center's exercise machines have individual LCD screens making working outs a breeze to endure. Finally, to emphasize how great the service was -- an employee knocked on my door after I ignored the morning calls.

Room Tip: "internal rooms" may be quieter, as there are trains in downtown.
1 Thank SFOHKG2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
Berkeley, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2011

If I could, I would write two wholly different reviews for this hotel. I stayed here from Wednesday through Saturday to attend a conference. I would give it at least a 4-star rating from Sundays to Wednesdays, but no more than a 1-star rating between Thursdays and Saturdays. Since I can't give it two scores at once, I'm settling for a low average of the two.

On Wednesday, this place was heaven. The staff was hospitable; the food was good; there were beautiful design touches all around; the complimentary beverages and snacks were plentiful, including a Keurig brewer with a boxful of coffee and tea packs. I was enjoying the hotel so much that I skipped the conference on the first day to go swimming in the rooftop pool. Then I ordered room service, docked my iPhone docked in their speakers and got some work done in a bathrobe listening to Coltrane.

When I came back to the hotel with friends after dinner on Thursday, the whole hotel turned into an extension of their night club. We had to get past a muscly man in a black suit just to get in the lobby, and another one to get in the elevator to go up to our room. Then the dance music started and we thought we were going to lose our minds. The walls and floors were shaking from the bass beats. Music, conversations, and cigarette smoke just came pumping into our room like there were no barriers. It kept going until 2 a.m. when the club shut down. This repeated again on Friday night. By the time we checked out on Saturday, my head was throbbing.

If I could be guaranteed that their Ivy night club would not be in operation, I'd consider staying here again. In the absence of this assurance, there's no way I would return.

Room Tip: The rooms on the higher floors might be quieter. We were on the second floor.
3 Thank looseseal
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2011

Very cool hotel, staff were excellent and upgraded us to a loft room as we were on our honeymoon. Great bar on the top floor which is definitely worth a visit. Excellent location in the heart of the gas lamp district.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AashC
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2011

From the moment we walked inside, we felt pampered! Fabulous service, perfect gaslamp location, and beautiful rooftop pool with comfy lounge area and amazing view. We will be back!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank susieand4
New York NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2011

Excellent hotel.

Everything about it. The staff are very warm and friendly.

I absolutely love the free bottled water, juices, chips, and Toblerone chocolate. In this day and age where it is difficult not to feel nickel and dimed to death with fees, this is a really refreshing change. Free high speed internet, free bottled water, free snacks, free glass of wine in the lobby, and the rates are not out of line with the competition where you will pay a premium for every little thing.

I did not stay on a Friday or Saturday evening however there were occasional events on the rooftop during my stay and I was on the top floor - never heard a sound. The rooftop is a beautiful space to go for lunch by the rooftop pool or an evening glass of wine by the fire pit - really nice.

Great location a block from all the restaurants on Fifth Avenue. What is not to like here? I can get very used to the Andaz experience only to find there are no Andaz hotels in many of the cities I visit.

1 Thank MoreFFmiles
Chino, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2011

Contemporary and hip; nicely decorated rooms; by the way this is a Hyatt property. The location is great in the gaslamp district. I did not hear the noise outside which was a nice surprise. The room includes a huge shower (no tub) in a smallish size room but not surprising for the area. Tons of items for sale in the mini fridge, free coffee, tea and water included. Check-in done quickly on an I-Pad (of course); no complaints they were really nice. One small hiccup I asked for a place for dinner, "not too fancy" I was sent to a local seafood restaurant that was $20+ per entree, not my idea of "not fancy". Valet is also extremely expensive even for this area but you are really limited with the parking for this area.

1 Thank cyclingsanchez
new york, ny
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2011

From the bar to the restaurant to the elevator and especially the room this hotel is top tier all the way. Our room was on the smaller side but gorgeous. Have every intention of staying here again.

• Stayed November 2011