“Great Room & Service, Noise Unbearable”
Review of Andaz San Diego

Andaz San Diego
Ranked #67 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto, Ontario
“Great Room & Service, Noise Unbearable”
Reviewed October 29, 2011

Andaz is the new Hyatt brand of hip/trendy boutique hotels. Similar to Starwood's W chain this hotel is aimed at the younger crowd with money.

This hotel is beautiful in it's look and feel and the staff is overly attentive. Free wifi and water/pop are nice touches that most higher end hotels gauge you for.

Rooms are spacious and are visually pleasing.

Now the bad part:

If you have an exterior facing room and it is the weekend, bring ear plugs. The street noise from the club crowd (Ivy Nightclub is in the hotel) is not only loud it feels like it is in your room. Fights, curses, hoots and hollering go on until well past 3am. Plan accordingly, or be one of those revellers.

All in all a positive experience.

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank bgagnon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
Reviewed October 27, 2011

The hotel has some nice features like a rooftop pool and modern architecture but when the nightclub is open it is very noisy in certain rooms, and my room was pulling in smoke when the air conditioner was turned on.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank Prestovtrun
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed October 27, 2011

What a pleasant first stay at a boutique hotel near all the action. This hotel is located within a short walk to everything you'd like to do in San Diego. A block from the Gaslamp district, two blocks from Horton Plaza shopping and near Petco Park, the convention center, Balboa Park and a $10.00 taxi fare to the airport. THe room was small but well appointed with complimentary snacks and soft drinks in the room. The staff was attentive and helpful and the rooftop pool and lounge were delightful. We will stay here again when we return.

1 Thank Gregg60
San Francisco, California
Reviewed October 26, 2011

I was excited to check out the trendy side of Hyatt and upon check in was impressed. We received complimentary wine, while we checked in on a tablet, we were offered passes to the night clubs, given a tour of the room, each day received complimentary snacks and beverages at the mini bar, fun gaslamp location - great! However after a great first impression the allure faded for me, we could hear music from the clubs on friday and saturday. The sexy see-through shower was not-so-sexy in the am when privacy is needed. The room was spacious, but I wanted more storage space. The staff was pleasant, amenities worked, the club was fun and the restaurant was good, but on the other hand there was noise at night and a crowded lobby from the non-guests waiting club admission. Trendy is fun, but I stay at a hotel for a place to sleep. Overall not more than I expected from a 4 star property.

Palm Springs
Reviewed October 25, 2011

I booked on Priceline and checked in at Andaz in San Diego about 2:15 pm, last week and it was a dismal experience. Upon check in I was told they had queen bed rooms but if I want a king it would be $20 more. I paid the fee and because I paid by Priceline they took me to the basement to a dark room with no view. This was unacceptable and I said I wanted another room. At that time they said a room wasn't available and I'll have to wait until 4:00 "because that is the normal check in time". The front desk person was extremely rude and it was a very unpleasant experience. I would never stay here. It was noisey and even though we ended up in a room with a window it was not worth it.

Room Tip: Find a better hotel with better customer service.
2 Thank fredinlb
Rusty_Middleton, General Manager at Andaz San Diego, responded to this review, October 27, 2011
Dear Fredinlb,

Thank you for you recent review of our Hotel. I am deeply disappointed to learn about your experience as it is our ambition to ensure that each of our guests has a simple, seamless, and fun experience at Andaz San Diego. I have noted your concerns and will be addressing them with our staff. I encourage you to contact me directly to further discuss your experience at our hotel. I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again as I am sure that we can provide you with the personable experience for which we are known.

Warm Regards,

Rusty Middleton
Stockholm, Stockholms Lan, Sweden
Reviewed October 22, 2011

Based on the price of the hotel and making a request for a quiet room, you think it would be possible to get a good night's sleep.

Starting thursday night and going into the weekend, the loud street noise and partygoers in the hotel being loud out in the hallway outside rooms is a common occurence.

The hotel staff does their job well and is courteous, but this is not a hotel to stay in if you want peace and quiet, or want to go to sleep before 2am and get a good night's rest.

3 Thank Christina C
Dear Christina C,

We appreciate your time and feedback regarding the nightclub noise during your recent stay in our hotel. Here, at Andaz, we strive to create the best experience possible for each of our guests and I am disappointed that we were not able to meet your expectations. I would like to apologize for the noise that you experienced from your room. Be sure that your concerns are being addressed as the concerns and requests of each our guests are valued. Feel free to contact me directly.

Warm regards,

Rusty Middleton
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2011

Stayed at this fantastic hotel Sunday through to Wednesday and can honestly say in my time on business travels have never received such exceptional service from Tyler and the team at reception. Loved the whole vibe so much I will be taking the family next year!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business