“Upscale. Great Staff. Be aware of club noise...”
Review of Andaz San Diego

Andaz San Diego
Ranked #70 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Upscale. Great Staff. Be aware of club noise...”
Reviewed September 28, 2011

The staff was super friendly, efficient, and went above and BEYOND! The checkout process was quick and painless. Stayed there from Saturday thru Tuesday. Location is dead smack in the middle of the GasLamp District and definitely within walking distance to all restaurants and shops. A slight hike to the convention center and a cab ride away to Little Italy. The "nightclub" was packed and the noise could definitely be heard from the room. Asked for a "quiet room" and was put in #227. I quickly learned that was likely still too close to the nightclub downstairs even though the room was on the "interior" of the bldg. We got in early and could hear/feel the bass until everything shut down at 2am. Since we went out, we didn't mind all that much, but those that aren't doing the whole "nightclub" thing should definitely be aware.
The rooms are fairly small (was in a King Deluxe), but if you don't need a ton of room, it's perfect. Because we missed the early round of housekeeping (7-8 am-ish), they didn't finish our room until about 4pm each day.
Overall, no complaints (besides the noise on Saturday night-though the club is open Thurs-Sat- that could have been an issue if we stayed in), but probably not the best place for couples looking to relax or those with children (if you want them to sleep before 2 am).

Room Tip: Interior, AWAY from Ivy Nightclub
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Porsche P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
San Diego, California
Reviewed September 27, 2011

As locals, we're likely to be more skeptical of a place than a tourist but we found Andaz a great surprise. The staff was very friendly (what? a free glass of wine at check in? Free water and snacks in our room?!?) and even offered to text us when our room was ready. The hotel was hip enough to remind us of a New York hotel we recently visited. The hotel must rock the rooftop pool on the weekends since we were there on a Sun. night and the DJ had the uber chic 20 somethings entertained. Only thing preventing a 5 star is the fact that our room faced the street and I could see it being louder on a Sat. night.

Room Tip: Get a room not facing the Salvation Army
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kell2011
Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed September 26, 2011

We flew in the night of the black-out so the welcome beverage of course, did not happen. Only fluke was they had a hard time finding our reservation which also could have been related to the black out( we had a confirmation, they has sent US a reminder, we had pre-payed for the room and completed early check in on line and they still couln't find us). Elevators were out so the poor girl had to drag our suitcases up 5 flights of stairs. I know they are all are fighting over tips but really, there was 4 guys at least; standing in the lobby.
The room was great. A lot of mirrors help to make it feel bigger than it really is. It was hot when we got there but, no air with the power being out. Came back on by 3:00 A.M. so no biggie. Bathroom was pretty cool/modern with the big shower between the room and the bath. Note this is not a room to share with your buddies!!
Mixers,water bottles etc. are free though one day they did not replace what we had used. Alchohol bottles in the room are at a premium price though after having a few drinks at the rooftop bar we may as well have opened them instead. Drinks $13 to $15 a piece.The decor is wonderful and was very relaxing up there. Has a personal pizza appitizer which was quite good. The wine bar looked pretty awesome but after seeing the prices of the rooftop bar drinks we found other happy hours in the area!!
The second night we were out and about going to dinner and a comedy. Upon returning we had to laugh as the security was a little intense. Guys on head sets "guests in the lobby. guests in the lobby" and escorted us up to our floor. We did feel safe however. There always seemed to be at least 3-4 staff members in the lobby at all times.
The noise was not all that bad. We were on the 5th floor facing the front of the hotel. A few drunk laughs and sirens but not enough to keep us awake. Did not do the club scene as we are a litle past ort prime for that venue. I can also say having never stayed downtown before that you could probably stay for a month and never eat at the same place twice. Hundreds of restuarants with-in a few blocks. The valets are really friendly and can suggests great places. Never felt underdressed even after spending the day at the beach. You do probably want to dress for dinner/night life.
Check out was a breeze and no extra charges etc. But yes, the valet parking was $35 per night which did not include many tips as we were in and out with our car quite a bit. Over all it was a great place to stay and yes we would stay here again

Room Tip: 5th floor facing front of hotel was just fine.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brittally
Jamaica, New York
Reviewed September 26, 2011

My wife and I were coming from New York on a direct evening flight and when we arrived we were offered drinks to unwind (juices, wine, water, etc.) before going to the room. Check-in was quick; they use Vaio or iPads to check-in/out. My wife had questions of places to go in the area for a manicure and the hostess was very helpful. I also asked what I would receive as a Diamond member of Hyatt and she did a very thorough run down (which I appreciated because I travel frequently and can't always remember which hotel gives what).

We had a junior suite (the worst part about this place was that it only has 3 master suites, so not getting one of those even as a Diamond member AND using a suite upgrade award netted me just the Jr. Suite) and I had hoped to get a great room. If I had known this prior to going then I would have saved my suite award and just paid for the room.

As I mentioned above the worst part was my high expectations of the room I was going to get, but outside of that this was a great place to stay. The nightclub they have there is a top club to go to (the line was around the corner, but as hotel guests we got wrist bands at the front desk to access all 3: Pool Rooftop, Wine bar & Basement) and the staff was extremely helpful, personable and friendly. You can notice they truly care about making your stay as great a stay as possible. *The best nights to party are Thursday & Saturday in SD BTW, so when we arrived on Friday it was a bit slower but still a great time*

We also ordered room service while we were there (24hrs) and those guys are also awesome. Again, over the phone they were helpful with describing the dishes and even though one of the orders was messed up, they IMMEDIATELY fixed it -felt like no wait time. We also ordered late at night and the overnight staff was as excellent as the eat-in room service staff during the day, again I say EXCELLENT. *As a side note, in the jr. suite room there were complimentary juices (orange, ice tea, and cranberry), water, sodas, granola bar, chocolate bar and chips. This is not done everywhere and as a business traveler having that stuff come with the room makes all the difference.*

The location of the hotel is also central to downtown activities. We had no problem walking everywhere we needed to go as we stayed mostly downtown. My recommendation to you, if you are considering this place, is to stay no other location than the Andaz San Diego. I plan on coming back to San Diego and I will certainly be staying at this location to have a GREAT TIME!.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
san pedro
Reviewed September 25, 2011

I had a wonderful time staying here. The complimentary glass of wine upon check-in, Vladimir's excellent service in changing our room to a more comfortable setting for my mom and me, complimentary snack basket, and everyone being so courteous and friendly made our stay one of the best that I've ever experienced. The rooms are nicely decorated with all the modern technology. The only drawback was the shower. It was a bit challenging to get the nozzle to spray directly on me, being petite and there needs to be some type of hook to hang your clothing and robe. The wine bar is a must visit. It's so cool with the different machine generated pourings! Overall, a most definite visit!

Room Tip: The king rooms have a visible shower, so if with friends, choose a room with double beds.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank travelbug215
San Diego, California
Reviewed September 23, 2011

I have stayed at the Andaz in San Diego a few times and have always been completely satisfied with our stay. The service has been exemplary, where everyone from the cleaning people on up to the executives walking by are making sure all your needs are taken care of. The rooms are very stylish yet also very comfortable and the rooftop bar and pool were fun with a lot of energy. I highly recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 22, 2011

Remember the black-out in early Sept (2011) that took out all of San Diego and then some? Yah, well I stayed at this hotel during this freak out. I had to take a moment to recognize each staff member as they handled the whole situation with ease, professionalism, and class. No, I don't work there, promise. Anyway, I was there for a conference that was taking place that week and the manager on duty made sure everyone was well taken care of but, prob more importantly, safe as well. The front desks guys offer water when you go for a run, the breakfast room service tastes AMAZING! And, the rooms themselves are really, really nice - love the double headed shower.

The only issue, if anything, is that it's located in the heart of the party/night life district so be prepared to hear a lot of "woo hoo's" and laughing through your windows into the night. But hey, the place is cool, sheek, and not a bad place to stay if that's how you like to party anyway.

Cheers to the staff!