“Worst part of my wedding was staying here”
Review of Andaz San Diego

Andaz San Diego
Ranked #72 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 18, 2011

I stayed here the night before and the night of my wedding in July. Everything about the day was absolutely perfect...with one exception, staying at the Andaz. We paid for early check in and were not able to check in until AFTER their normal check in time, which is a very late 4pm. The staff was nice and kind, but they did not follow through with their promises. I expected that after bringing guests to stay in more than 10 rooms at their establishment AND it being the most important day of my life, I would get service that was above and beyond exceptional. Well, I can honestly say I have received better, more timely and accurate service at Motel 6. Upon returning to our 1st floor suite (after requesting a higher floor upon making the reservation) we found the room had not been cleaned. There was still breakfast stuffs from that morning, trash and dirty towels and the bed was still as it was when I had left early that day. This is most upsetting because I had spoken with the maid personally and asked that she please return at a specific time, once we had left, to get the room prepared for the bride and grooms' return. My Maid of honor had also spoken with the front desk to see that the room be cleaned and perhaps given an extra special touch, being it our wedding night and all.... Well, in my white gown, I ended up cleaning the room myself. Not the most romantic thing ever.

It is a good thing we got superb, out of this world service on our honey moon in a 3rd world country...because the Andaz sure as hell let us down, big time.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank erikasaw13
Write a ReviewReviews (1,660)

Reviewed August 15, 2011

Stayed here over July 4th weekend. The hotel is very modern, and has a great vibe. I checked in on Friday night, and because I am a diamond member with confirmed suite upgrade, they upgraded me to a top floor suite with a view of the baseball stadium. The room was beautiful.

Unfortunately, because of the noise from the club upstairs (given the Friday night combined with long holiday weekend), I asked for a room change after staying in that room for about 1 hour. Though the room was beautiful and the bathroom was stunning, the noise was actually a deterrent. The staff was extremely courteous, and came upstairs with three room keys, and had me tour three different rooms of comparable size but on different floors and locations in the building to see which one I preferred. I ended up choosing a room facing the inner courtyard in the middle of the building....so it was in effect furthest from the club noise both at the rooftop and on the ground floor. The room was very quiet. The next morning....the manager left me a personal note with apologies, and somehow knew I was playing a tennis tournament in San Diego (probably because of the huge racket bag on check in), and left me a new can of tennis balls, and a note hoping that I'd "Ace" the tournament. Thought that was a very nice touch.

Breakfast was complimentary as a diamond member, but it was wonderful.....beautiful atmosphere at their restaurant on the ground floor. Very chic....nice American fare, and presented very beautifully. The last morning.....I had breakfast up at the rooftop where they had set up tables with umbrellas. Also very nice.

The room itself was very modern. Everything you would expect from a 4 - 5 star hotel. Water pressure was good.....turn down service. Free mini bar for most of the items....(one of the andaz perks). Valet parking is a bit steep, but it IS the most convenient thing in the Gaslamp district.....which is quite lively and vibrant on weekend nights. I also thought that it was nice that the hotel recommended restaurants in the area...and not just their own restaurant. All staff were extremely friendly, courteous, and helpful.

I think my only gripe about the hotel was the noise from the club, and also that the pool was closed for most of the day on Sunday for a big pool party....which we would have to pay to get into. The pool party definitely draws in a big crowd, but I think it is rather disloyal to close the pool to its dedicated paying guests who are actually staying in the hotel. I bet the hotel is quite serene on the weekdays. Still, I would probably stay at this hotel again, and just request a room on the inner courtyard...especially if it were a weekend.

Room Tip: If you don't mind noise...ask for the top floor.....ask for the inner courtyard if you are sensi...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank bumd168
Reviewed August 11, 2011

Staffed greeted us by name every afternoon upon return from our conference....nice touch!
Bathroom was super ....biggest shower ever!
complementary water/soft drinks, etc...where do you find that these days??!!
nice roof top bar/terrace/pool!!

only slight negative was one electrical outlet didn't work.

would DEFINITLEY stay there again!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank doctorjdds
Reviewed August 11, 2011

We had a lovely time at this hotel, located right in the heart of San Diego's gaslamp district. We were able to walk to all the places we wanted to from here and the taxi journey to the Zoo and Seaworld was short. The hotel was not ideal for families, but if my wife and I were on a weekend break by ourselves it would be a fantastic place to stay. The roof top pool was stunning (but cold!) and the roof top bar had great views (you could almost watch a baseball game from there!). We had bar food on the roof one evening which was actually really very good. Beds are very soft.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Burywood
Reviewed August 11, 2011

The stay at this hotel was horrible. We had two kids with us and no one told us that the entire hotel shakes from the club on Friday and Saturday nights not to mention the house music blaring all night. The other patrons were belligerently drunk running the halls. On more than one occasion you would walk by a room and find blankets strewn in the hall with vomit from either over served or over intoxicated guests. The rooms are cold and non-private not to mention small. The shower leaked water all over the floor, when we reported it the response was, “we are having problems with our showers”. You can hear everything in the hall at all hours of the night and the cleaning of the hotel areas happens at 5am so if it’s not bad enough you were up all night from the club the vacuums start running right after. Valet parking is inconvenient and expensive. The $125.00 a night incidental charge is inconvenient to the pocketbook for any traveler on a budget. We booked this hotel for a wedding party and had to move half the attendees, absolutely not a family friendly hotel! Patrons should be warned of the incidental charges and the nature of this environment. I attempted to take my kids to the pool which is also littered with Alcohol and rude patrons upset that there were two children there. I will never stay at this hotel again and will not recommend it to any of my professional or personal contacts.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank bex r
Rusty_Middleton, General Manager at Andaz San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2011

Dear bex r,
I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your recent stay at Andaz San Diego. At Andaz we are dedicated to satisfying each and every guest and to know that even one guest was not pleased is very disappointing. Please feel free to contact me directly, as I would like to discuss further specifics regarding your concerns about the service and incidental charges.
Warm regards,
Rusty Middleton

Reviewed August 10, 2011

This hotel is great. It is right in the gaslamp quarter with easy access to everything. There is a couple of negatives. The hotel will hold $150 per day of your stay for incidentals and there is a $35 per day valet charge. The staff is amazing. In your room you have free water, cokes, juice, snapple lemonade and ice tea, and the room has a Kureg coffee maker with the pods. The pool is on the rooftop and has amazing views.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank waynelv
Reviewed August 9, 2011

This was the worst experience I have ever had at a hotel! We stayed for a bachelorette party and had three rooms booked there. I also purchased the Bachelorette bottle service package at the Ivy rooftop bar. We had another group of girls (4) that were staying at a different hotel that were a part of Friday's bottle service festivities. They were hassled by the door men and weren't being allowed in after they gave my name and said they were there for bottle service. The problem could have been handled by calling my room and saying I needed to meet them at the door rather than embarrassing them and leaving a horrible lasting impression! So now his gripe is about wristbands. Don't you think you would have to physically get into the hotel to actually acquire one?! When I called earlier in the day to see what my party and I needed to do I was instructed to go upstairs give my name and we would receive wristbands. I do not understand how that was so difficult!
So we're done with the rooftop bar and decide to get food while one of our friends that wasn't staying there takes a nap in our room. She wakes up before we get back needs air and goes outside downstairs only to be turned away when trying to come back in. She left her heels in the room because they were hurting her feet along with her purse and cell phone. She told the person working what room she came from and gave my name and still got turned away BUT not before an employee gave her a map and sent her on her way at around 330/4 AM!! Why wasn't she given the option to wait in the lobby?? We get back and see she's missing call our friends that she is staying with and they go out on the town to find her. Luckily they did but not after she got lost and had an encounter with one of the MANY homeless people that live in the area!! We were all in awe that had happened! I told a female that was helping us load our bags as we were checking out she could not believe it either BUT didn't offer to compensate me in any way. I spent a lot of money at this hotel as did our friends that stayed as well and to be treated like that is beyond belief!! My husband works for a time share company and you better believe he will be telling his potential owners about my experience!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Alison J
Rusty_Middleton, General Manager at Andaz San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2011

Dear AlisonJ54-

Thank you for taking the time to let me know about your experience at our hotel. I was disappointed to learn that our team was not able to provide the high level of service that is indicative of the Andaz brand. I know that this has left a lasting negative impression for what should have been a celebratory weekend for the bachelorette! We strive to provide a safe, fun, and vibrant hotel experience for our guests to enjoy.

I have personally discussed your experience with our management team to ensure that occurrences like this do not happen in the future. I know that this does not help in correcting your experience with us and I hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future, so we can show you the true Andaz service.

I encourage you to reach out to me directly to further discuss your experience, or if I may assist with future reservations at our hotel.

Warm regards,