“Perfection for a night out on the town!”

The Keating Hotel by Pininfarina
Ranked #115 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
dannygurl
“Perfection for a night out on the town!”
Reviewed October 12, 2010

I wanted to find the perfect hotel to celebrate a birthday when my friend Francesca recommended The Keating Hotel. It was perfect. The staff was extremely attentive, the design was absolutely stunning, and the vibe was outstanding.
Our room, the stanza imperiale, was complete with a wet bar, a jacuzzi, a great view, top notch sound systems, and the most comfortable bed.
We started off the celebration in the room then head down to SWAY, the nightclub downstairs. All of our friends loved the hotel and after the celebration we got a very comfortable night's sleep in the king sized bed.
The design and amenities are incredible, and the staff was attentive to our every need.

Thanks to The Keating, the birthday weekend was an absolute success.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank dannygurl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 4, 2010

I stay in A LOT of hotels worldwide. This place was really amazing. Not only was the decor really cool, the rooms large and clean with super comfortable beds and room amenities, but the service is what put it over the top for me. Many boutique hotels these days have super chic decor like this one, but the service is what sets them apart and creates the memory. The font desk folks were amazing friendly, courteous and professional. They met every need and seemed more than happy to do it. They actually seemed like they loved their job. The location for downtwon is perfect. There is no better Gaslamp location right in the heart of everything. I used the laptop lounge and the meeting rooms, which were brick walled and had the most recent technology. The restaurant was a great value, great food and again great service. I highly recommend this hotel. I have recommended it to my friends and will return next time I'm in SD.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Newyorkrealestate
Long Beach, California
Reviewed August 9, 2010

The hotel has been remodeled very nicely, the location is excellent, and the interior is as swank and stylish as you'd expect from an Italian auto manufacturer. While the hotel is quite old, none of its original charm was retained. Unfortunately local historical preservation requirements demanded that they retain San Diego's oldest operating elevator (seriously). We've stayed in lots of boutique hotels, and actually prefer older preserved/remodeled ones, but we have never had an experience like this. The steam-driven elevator mechanism positively roars and shudders the rooms, making sleep impossible. The hotel's solution -- complimentary earplugs and a white noise machine -- work well enough, but for these prices and the boutique hotel experience Keating aspires to, it's quite a disappointment. Add to that the malfunctioning toilet in our room that went unrepaired, despite our numerous requests, for our entire 4 day stay, plus a massive screw-up of our reservation by the otherwise charming and eager staff, and we can't possibly recommend this place. (I should note that as "amends" for our experience we were given a coupon for two slices of pizza somewhere, and the manager removed the historical preservation tax from our room charge.) To sum up, the hotel is superficially glitzy and swanky and fashionable, and the staff tries hard to please, but the guest experience leaves a lot to be desired. There are many lovely options in San Diego; go elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank evanembee
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed July 21, 2010

I stayed here over the weekend, and LOVED it... after staying one night at the Sofia (they were sold out the rest of the weekend), we stayed in two rooms (they were sold out of different room types, so we gladly moved around), 4B and Penthouse G. 4B was nice, in a quiet location away from the street... beds were amazing. Penthouse G was an incredible treat, with an amazing modern tub that could fit three people, a giant separate living room and bedroom area, etc., etc. Just simply amazing - we felt like rock stars! The views of the city were amazing too. The Penthouse did have some street noise, but that's what's to be expected when you're right on 5th Avenue in the heart of all the action!

The rooms are all decked out with amazing sound systems and tvs and high end cappuccino/espresso machines, etc. The service was also incredible... we were recommended a restaurant, Chopohn (?), and it was in-cred-i-ble! One of the best meals I've had in years! The only thing I'd change about these rooms is that I'd add carpet tiles to the floors instead of the uber-modern floors they currently have.

Stay at The Keating if you want an amazing high-style experience, and if you want to impress your other half... or that special someone you meet during your visit to San Diego! ;-)

1 Thank Ben B
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed July 13, 2010

I would basically live in this boutique hotel after staying here for 4 nights last week. That's saying a lot considering I currently live in a pretentious Trump building near NYC in the lap of luxury. I was a little worried since the building is so old. I expected it to be slightly creepy, maybe faux fancy. But as soon as my boyfriend and I arrived, we were greeted at the curb and escorted to our room. The staff gave us a tour and explained that the rooms are designed to be clean, modern, and functional.

The king size bed was one of the best feathery comfy hotel beds ever. The shower was open, as in see through, right in the room, and had two shower heads, although this may be uncomfortable if you're not staying with your significant other. Double sinks, state of the art TV and wall radio, ipod dock in the alarm clock, espresso machine, and charger dock. Comfortable robes and slippers provided since the floors are concrete (therefore more sanitary?). Pull out closet, yoga mat, and big windows. They even left desserts and spa music on the radio when they turned down the room every night.

Staff was great, with good recommendations, very friendly and accommodating.

My only complaint is that I had to leave and stay in much less impressive hotels in Santa Barbara and San Francisco for the rest of my vacation. The Keating is a tough act to follow.

1 Thank Ricellyn
Chino, California
Reviewed July 12, 2010

I was disappointed, to say the least, with my stay at the Keating. I can say we will NEVER stay again. I expected so much more since I had heard some good things about this hotel. My first impressing was that the lobby was the smallest I had ever seen. My husband and I went to San Diego for the weekend with my Brother and Sister-in-law for her birthday. We picked the Keating because they had a great deal of 30% off if you book 2 nights. When my sis-in-law booked the room she picked the least expensive room, but stated it was for her birthday. When I booked I upgraded the room for a better view. We checked in together and they upgraded her to the same kind of room as mine, but on the penthouse level since it was her birthday. When I mentioned we were all together and maybe we could ride on her birthday coat tails to the same level they just laughed as if I was joking! I brushed it off and we were put on the third floor with a view of the city.
The rooms are industrial looking, but I knew that from the pictures. Concrete floors and brick walls. What I didn't know was that the bathroom is not in a separate room. Only the toilet is private. The shower is in the bedroom with no door so there is no privacy and it is cold when you turn off the water. Most likely due to the concrete floors.
Once in our room I noticed it was hot so I turned up the air, but it didn't seem to work. The bellboy told us to give it 5 minutes to cool off. It never cooled off. I tried to call the desk, but the phone was busy for 15 minutes. I tried to iron my clothes, but the iron wouldn't work. I called the main number from my cel phone and got through to the desk. The same bellboy came with the new iron and asked if I had put water in the iron first. Since when do you have to put water in the iron in order for it to work??!! It's not a steamer! Anyway, he put water in the new one and said to give it 5 minutes to warm up. I though, "What is with this kid and his 5 minutes?" I asked about the phone being busy and was told they had been very busy up front. I waited for the iron to heat. The light was on, but no heat. My husband pressed the "settings" button, the light went off, and it worked!! Shouldn't they have been able to tell me that?!
We went to dinner and out to the clubs (the location is perfect). Upon return, the room was still hot. I called the desk, but the phone was busy! Still??? I guessed there must be something wrong with our phone. I traveled downstairs to the front desk and was told the hotel was green so the air turns back on with a sensor when you enter the room. I told her it never got cool earlier and we had currently been in the room over 5 minutes. They found another room, on the penthouse level. However, the room was smaller with a view of the taller building next door that was almost close enough to touch! When I asked about a view room they said they had one across the hall, but it was even smaller. At this point it was already 2:30 in the morning, the room was cool and it was quiet. The city side is very noisy since the building is old and so are the windows. So, we stayed put. I went to use the universal charging station in the room to finish charging my iphone, but that was the only broken plug!
I was given alot excuses that irritated me and no one ever offered to reduce my room rate since I was downgraded to a view of a wall and alley because their air and phone was broken. When I checked out I waited for someone to ask if I enjoyed my stay or if everything was okay, but no one did. I'm not one to complain too much, but I am a regular weekend traveler, who will not be a returning customer when dissatisfied. There are too many nice hotels in San Diego for me ever to want to go back to the Keating.

1 Thank hotellover13
Austin, Texas
Reviewed June 28, 2010

I was pleased when we pulled into the Keating... it has a great location in the gaslamp district and is stunning. The posh rooms and comfortable bed were well received. It was loud, but nice enough not to care. However, the staff was awful. Just about anything that could go wrong went wrong. We called and asked for ice (as you are supposed to do) but never received anything. We called and asked for a wake-up call, but never got one. When we went down to the front desk to check out to make out flight... which we were late for as there was no wake-up call... no one was working the front desk. I'd say 4 out of 5 times we walked by the front desk no one was there and the lobby was deserted. In my travel experience, this is unacceptable. When you pay this much money ro stay somewhere you expect better service, end of story. As beautiful as it is, I would not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple