All reviewsespresso machinegaslamp districtstreet noiseboutique hotelgas lampbars and restaurantsthe location is perfectenjoyed my staypetco parkshowerloftsd
Reviewed July 21, 2010

I stayed here over the weekend, and LOVED it... after staying one night at the Sofia (they were sold out the rest of the weekend), we stayed in two rooms (they were sold out of different room types, so we gladly moved around), 4B and Penthouse G. 4B was nice, in a quiet location away from the street... beds were amazing. Penthouse G was an incredible treat, with an amazing modern tub that could fit three people, a giant separate living room and bedroom area, etc., etc. Just simply amazing - we felt like rock stars! The views of the city were amazing too. The Penthouse did have some street noise, but that's what's to be expected when you're right on 5th Avenue in the heart of all the action!

The rooms are all decked out with amazing sound systems and tvs and high end cappuccino/espresso machines, etc. The service was also incredible... we were recommended a restaurant, Chopohn (?), and it was in-cred-i-ble! One of the best meals I've had in years! The only thing I'd change about these rooms is that I'd add carpet tiles to the floors instead of the uber-modern floors they currently have.

Stay at The Keating if you want an amazing high-style experience, and if you want to impress your other half... or that special someone you meet during your visit to San Diego! ;-)

1  Thank Ben B
Reviewed July 13, 2010

I would basically live in this boutique hotel after staying here for 4 nights last week. That's saying a lot considering I currently live in a pretentious Trump building near NYC in the lap of luxury. I was a little worried since the building is so old. I expected it to be slightly creepy, maybe faux fancy. But as soon as my boyfriend and I arrived, we were greeted at the curb and escorted to our room. The staff gave us a tour and explained that the rooms are designed to be clean, modern, and functional.

The king size bed was one of the best feathery comfy hotel beds ever. The shower was open, as in see through, right in the room, and had two shower heads, although this may be uncomfortable if you're not staying with your significant other. Double sinks, state of the art TV and wall radio, ipod dock in the alarm clock, espresso machine, and charger dock. Comfortable robes and slippers provided since the floors are concrete (therefore more sanitary?). Pull out closet, yoga mat, and big windows. They even left desserts and spa music on the radio when they turned down the room every night.

Staff was great, with good recommendations, very friendly and accommodating.

My only complaint is that I had to leave and stay in much less impressive hotels in Santa Barbara and San Francisco for the rest of my vacation. The Keating is a tough act to follow.

1  Thank Ricellyn
Reviewed July 12, 2010

I was disappointed, to say the least, with my stay at the Keating. I can say we will NEVER stay again. I expected so much more since I had heard some good things about this hotel. My first impressing was that the lobby was the smallest I had ever seen. My husband and I went to San Diego for the weekend with my Brother and Sister-in-law for her birthday. We picked the Keating because they had a great deal of 30% off if you book 2 nights. When my sis-in-law booked the room she picked the least expensive room, but stated it was for her birthday. When I booked I upgraded the room for a better view. We checked in together and they upgraded her to the same kind of room as mine, but on the penthouse level since it was her birthday. When I mentioned we were all together and maybe we could ride on her birthday coat tails to the same level they just laughed as if I was joking! I brushed it off and we were put on the third floor with a view of the city.
The rooms are industrial looking, but I knew that from the pictures. Concrete floors and brick walls. What I didn't know was that the bathroom is not in a separate room. Only the toilet is private. The shower is in the bedroom with no door so there is no privacy and it is cold when you turn off the water. Most likely due to the concrete floors.
Once in our room I noticed it was hot so I turned up the air, but it didn't seem to work. The bellboy told us to give it 5 minutes to cool off. It never cooled off. I tried to call the desk, but the phone was busy for 15 minutes. I tried to iron my clothes, but the iron wouldn't work. I called the main number from my cel phone and got through to the desk. The same bellboy came with the new iron and asked if I had put water in the iron first. Since when do you have to put water in the iron in order for it to work??!! It's not a steamer! Anyway, he put water in the new one and said to give it 5 minutes to warm up. I though, "What is with this kid and his 5 minutes?" I asked about the phone being busy and was told they had been very busy up front. I waited for the iron to heat. The light was on, but no heat. My husband pressed the "settings" button, the light went off, and it worked!! Shouldn't they have been able to tell me that?!
We went to dinner and out to the clubs (the location is perfect). Upon return, the room was still hot. I called the desk, but the phone was busy! Still??? I guessed there must be something wrong with our phone. I traveled downstairs to the front desk and was told the hotel was green so the air turns back on with a sensor when you enter the room. I told her it never got cool earlier and we had currently been in the room over 5 minutes. They found another room, on the penthouse level. However, the room was smaller with a view of the taller building next door that was almost close enough to touch! When I asked about a view room they said they had one across the hall, but it was even smaller. At this point it was already 2:30 in the morning, the room was cool and it was quiet. The city side is very noisy since the building is old and so are the windows. So, we stayed put. I went to use the universal charging station in the room to finish charging my iphone, but that was the only broken plug!
I was given alot excuses that irritated me and no one ever offered to reduce my room rate since I was downgraded to a view of a wall and alley because their air and phone was broken. When I checked out I waited for someone to ask if I enjoyed my stay or if everything was okay, but no one did. I'm not one to complain too much, but I am a regular weekend traveler, who will not be a returning customer when dissatisfied. There are too many nice hotels in San Diego for me ever to want to go back to the Keating.

1  Thank hotellover13
Reviewed June 28, 2010

I was pleased when we pulled into the Keating... it has a great location in the gaslamp district and is stunning. The posh rooms and comfortable bed were well received. It was loud, but nice enough not to care. However, the staff was awful. Just about anything that could go wrong went wrong. We called and asked for ice (as you are supposed to do) but never received anything. We called and asked for a wake-up call, but never got one. When we went down to the front desk to check out to make out flight... which we were late for as there was no wake-up call... no one was working the front desk. I'd say 4 out of 5 times we walked by the front desk no one was there and the lobby was deserted. In my travel experience, this is unacceptable. When you pay this much money ro stay somewhere you expect better service, end of story. As beautiful as it is, I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Barcelona2night
Reviewed June 26, 2010

We stayed here for our wedding weekend. Overall we had a nice experience but I would not recommend this place to an older crowd. We are a young couple so we don't mind noise, but this place was so loud, you had no chance of good sleep unless you wore ear plugs. Once we did that, we were fine. For a person looking to party in the Gaslamp District, The Keating is in the prime location. We never had to walk more than a block or two to find good food. The only other negative for us was the shower. It is in your main room and has no door so you better hope you are comfortable with the person you are staying with. It also gets a little chilly being that you are so out in the open. The staff was very nice and accommodating. They placed candles and a bottle of wine in our room on our wedding night. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple