All reviewsespresso machinegaslamp districtstreet noiseboutique hotelgas lampbars and restaurantsthe location is perfectenjoyed my staypetco parkshowerloftsd
Reviewed August 10, 2008

The Keating Hotel is loud! While the minimalist design is breathtaking, and its hi tech in-room gadgets are wonderful, nothing is worth the noise that you will encounter when you chose to stay at this hotel.

The hotel upgraded us to the Imperial room, which was large and beautiful, with its high ceilings, large windows and plasma TV's. The room design definitely had its flaws which included an amazing shower that leaked all over the floor, and a misplaced plasma that blocked the washroom, but was beautiful nonetheless.

While the Keating appears to be a modernists dream, it is not until you try to fall asleep that you realize you will be dreaming of nothing as sleep is hard to come by.We are a young couple, we go out and we understand what the area is about . I understand hearing outside noises, especially when you chose to stay in the Gaslamp district...this is expected. What is not is the vibrations and loud beats that could be heard through the floor and windows that not only kept us awake but literally shook our bed.

After calling down to ask what time the bar closes, after calling a second time to see if anything could be done, after putting in the provided earplugs (isn't that a really bad sign), still no relief!!! It felt as though we were lying inside the bar (the bed is super comfy, but who cares if you can't sleep). This hotel has a major noise problem and they don't really seem to care!

After complaining upon checkout we were pretty much told that it was our decision to stay at the hotel. We were also told that it was the Gaslamp district (no apologies). After asking to speak with the manager we were told that we were checking out too early and she would not be in until later. After calling the manager we were told that there was nothing she could do before talking to accounting, AND after waiting for her to call us back....well, we are still waiting.

BOTTOM LINE, this hotel is NOISY and not worth your money. Some of the staff are very nice but are very inexperienced in hospitality. Valet service is fine, a bit slow, and other than valet I'm not really sure of any other services because we were not told about them.SAVE YOUR MONEY AND YOUR AGGRAVATION, THIS HOTEL IS NOT WORTH IT!!!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank HAMToronto
Reviewed August 3, 2008

We just stayed at The Keating on a Saturday night.
First impressions were wow, what a fab room, we were upgraded to a Suite which was modern Italian in design, open plan. Very comfortable bed indeed, nice high ceilings and lots of gadgets. I felt after being there a while that so much emphasis was put on the high tech this n that, that basic comforts were lacking. For example I went to put on their nice robe from the closet and it was still wet inside the arms, The radio didn't work, scale in the bathroom didn't work. We were right above the hotel bar downstairs, very loud until about 3 am. Luckily we had been out til very late anyway and you need to be if you stay at this hotel. so as not to make you grumpy with all the noise. Nice expresso machine, but no tea on offer or cream for the coffee for those who may like cream so I had to go searching for some in the morning. Found the breakfast room, lovely big room with huge windows and there in the corner a small little table with stale poppyseed muffins, a few stale pastries, some very over ripe bananas. Coffee & Juice. They could do so much with that room by offering fresh croissant, cereals, tea, fresh fruit , newspapers etc. and for a "Luxury Boutique Hotel" breakfast was worse than I have ever had at a Budget Hotel. Such a shame and such a lovely room!!.
There was a mix up on our bill and it took about 20 mins for the staff to figure out how to use the computer system to erase the charge and fix it. The staff were very friendly and polite but they need to take care of the basics and forget about how many features the expresso machine has. Hopefully these are teething probs that will remedy in time and make the hotel really worthy of calling itself a Luxury Boutique Hotel. "Mr Tiki" across the road had great food and atmosphere. We went to "The Field" Irish pub for a really nice Irish breakfast, yummy!!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 27, 2008

The weird design is pointless because there is a rock club directly below the hotel and it is STUPID LOUD. I couldn't even attempt to sleep until they stopped after midnight. I mean, it was like trying to sleep in a rock club bathroom. It was literally that loud. And when i complained? they offered earplugs. It's a common complaint they later admitted, yet despite the insane price for the room, they only offered to knock off a few drink charges. Just ridiculous. I've been in a lot of much nicer and much more expensive hotels. I dont mind paying money for quality. I do mind paying it for a room i can't even freaking SLEEP in. And the worst part is they clearly know about this problem but are just choosing to ignore it.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank ppprs1
Reviewed July 20, 2008

When I plan a trip, I spend an inordinate amount of time researching hotels to ensure that our accommodations will be perfect. I wish I had done that before I booked the Keating.

My chief complaint was, yes, the noise. The weekend of my stay coincided with Pride, so there may have been more revelers in the Gaslamp Quarter than usual. However, it appears that the main culprit was the hotel’s own lounge bar, Minus 1, which, according to one of the front desk staff, is the only place that is open until 3-4am in the morning. Earplugs did nothing to minimize the thumping music, the roaring crowds, or the police sirens. I decided to pop a Benadryl around 3:15am and that worked like a charm. A girl needs her beauty sleep!

The hotel is located in the heart of the Gaslamp District and a short walk to the Horton Plaza. When I arrived at the hotel, I had to wait a few minutes curbside, as the valet driver was nowhere to be found. Beware – overnight parking is $30 per night!

Check-in was a breeze. I do agree with earlier reviewers that staff need additional training in hospitality and professionalism. Everyone was friendly enough, but there was just something lacking.

I was escorted to my room by a young woman, but when we got there, it was apparent that the room had not been cleaned since the prior occupants’ departure. After being advised that the room would be ready in 20-30 minutes, I left my bags and walked over to Horton Plaza to check out the Nordstrom Anniversary sale. The staff had assured me that they would call my cell phone as soon as the room was ready. I never received a call but when I returned an hour later, the room was indeed ready.

The same young woman escorted me up to my room. After showing me how to use the television (Bang & Olufsen HDTV, no less) and the espresso machine, she made me a solo shot on the spot.

I stayed in a standard room, the Stanza. The room was on the top floor and faced the street. Here come some big pluses. The king-sized bed was absolutely comfortable with tons of down pillows (too bad I didn’t get much of an opportunity to enjoy sleeping in it). Towels were plush, as were the bath mats. Robes and slippers are provided. The aforementioned tv is a wall-mounted flatscreen and every couch potato’s fantasy. On one of the nightstands lies a Sanctuary, a little white box containing no less than 11 cell phone chargers, which I used to charge my iPhone. Of course, the mini-fridge came packed with petite libations – Vitamin Water, Perrier, soda, and alcohol. The snacks looked very appetizing - tres chic square packages of roasted almonds, cheese crisps, and chocolates. The turndown service was a pleasant surprise. I returned to my room to find a plate of mini fruit tarts. Overall, the room is cleverly designed with luxurious amenities.

If the owner/operators would do a little soundproofing, this just might a gem of a hotel.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed July 7, 2008

TWO MAJOR POINTS:

(1)The Keating IS NOT for everyone!
(2)The Keating IS PERECT for those who know what they want!

We spent three unbelievable evenings at The Keating and loved every nuance of the experience. After reading some of the prior reviews, we did approach the hotel with some caution…after all, “no shower doors” & “water on the floor” and not enjoying
“quiet evenings.”

Stay out of Gaslamp Quarter, if you are in search of “quiet”…. try an assisted care living center for senior citizens…”lights out at 9:00 PM and no talking.”

If you get a bit of water on the floor…call your personal concierge…maybe it will be Christy or Anji… and they will have someone deliver your extra towels and take care of the wet floor……we know, we did! Don’t waste your money on a Stanze Vista….split with the extra bucks and go for at least a “Chic” or “Imperiale.”

The in-room coffee maker is top of the line…get extra canisters…you will covet the espresso!

Pay attention during the in-room check-in process and ask questions if you don’t understand how the remotes work…everything has a remote!

Spend at least some time in the Minus-1 Lounge…great bar staff (check out the Vault)….the atmosphere and crowd starts picking up around mid-night. They also make it simple to figure out the difference between the Women’s Room and the Men’s Room.

Love that special Keating Naughty or Nice package….black silk pajamas, etc., etc…..wait ‘till you see what the “turn down” crew does to your room to make your evening memorable!

Someone previously mentioned the “in room massage”…..that’s a must do!

btw…when the street noise starts getting a little loud after 1:30 AM….get dressed and go out and join the fun on 5th Ave….be part of the problem…worry about the solution when you get home.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple