All reviewsespresso machinegaslamp districtstreet noiseboutique hotelgas lampbars and restaurantsthe location is perfectenjoyed my staypetco parkshowerloftsd
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Recently I booked a room at the Keating on line in anticipation of a Holiday Bowl invitation to my alma mater. Unfortunately we were offered a different bowl game and when I tried to cancel my booking I found out I had somehow booked a non-refundable room. I contacted Christos Brooks, Assistant General Manager, who immediately started working on my problem even though he was out of the office, on a business trip. When he returned, he very quickly took care of my problem, totally in my favor and I was not charged for the booking. The customer service here is top notch and I recommend The Keating to anyone traveling to San Diego. You can't beat great climate and great service.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Larry T
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Overall liked the hotel was fun, but considering how many little things were broken, and the general lack of coordination from staff its just not a three hundred dollar a night hotel. Its a lot of flash but not a lot of substance. They don't have the core stuff down like getting maintenance to your room quickly. The front counter staff was all extremely welcoming and friendly and frankly they seemed frustrated with the shortage of other staff, I get the feelings the owners are cutting corners on staff and maintenance and it shows. They rely on the hotel hell publicity but many of the issues that were supposedly fixed really weren't. Let me put it this way Gordon Ramsey would still have a field day going off about this place.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I booked a 'blind hotel" through Expedia which promised a 3 1/2 star or better hotel in San Diego's Gaslamp District. I can't believe it has received good ratings by other reviewers because it was horrid! We were on the Penthouse floor. The only way it could get the name was because it was the top floor, not because it was luxurious. Everything except the toilet is in one room. The shower has no door and gives no privacy at all. The shower glass is like window glass and there is about a 3 foot area to walk in and out of the shower. I imagine it gets pretty cold in there, though I was too uncomfortable to try it out. The water from the shower leaked on to the grey concrete floor. I found this out as there was a stream of water from the shower to the bed, probably from the previous occupant. The concrete floor is cold and hard, and I wore socks the entire time I was there. One nightstand had a box with a vibrator and lubes for sale. Condoms were also available. The other nightstand had ear plugs as the noise from the street below continues well into the morning. There is little if any soundproofing in this building. The hotel boasts of Bang and Olufsen TV's and speakers, but the reception was terrible and the remote did not work. The decor is black and red...red walls and black carpet in the hallways. This place screams bordello. The sinks are stainless steel and too wide to get near the mirror to apply makeup. There is also a mirror on the ceiling above the sink, though I shudder to think what purpose it serves. Oh, and if you get lonely, just wait awhile an a cockroach will come by and keep you company. We booked through Expedia for two night. I called them in early morning after staying there one night, and Expedia customer service rep said I could not cancel my reservation for the second night; I could leave, but there would be no refund. They kept telling me I had asked for a two day reservation at the "special" price and they were unable to help me obtain a refund. I reminded them I contracted with them for a 3 1/2 star hotel and they had not provided one The hotel said they would refund the second night's charge, but to date they have not, nor have they returned my calls. I have turned it over to my credit card company to handle.
I thought Expedia would provide customer satisfaction on their bookings but sadly they do not.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank lorwoodman
Reviewed October 17, 2013

The location of this hotel is great. It's right next to the big mall (forgot the name), bars and restaurants. Hotel rooms and set up are very modern designed. As impressive as the history behind this building, but the services were quite poor. Upon our arrival, we could barely see a smile on the face of the employee at front desk. I think his name is Bryan or something. (If the owner of the building is watching this, I'd say he is not suitable to work at service industry.) It seemed that he was doing us a huge favor for checking us in. The lady we asked direction from was not very helpful neither since she gave us the wrong directions for both places. Every time we were going up and down the elevator, not only there was much of a greetings from the front desk, but we felt that they were checking us up in the weird way. That was really an uncomfortable feeling. Is it too much to ask to see a friendly face under such circumstances? Funny part came the next morning at the complimentary breakfast. A woman put all the fruits and bagels on her plate as soon as she saw us stepping in. We had to leave after a little while since there was not much left after she went back 10 more times. That was of course not the fault of the hotel, but it might be different if they could have refill the food sooner. I wouldn't recommend to anybody who expect much for services other than wanting to be close to party zone.

Room Tip: Get a room on the side of the building if you want to get some sleep.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank michelle z
Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

If you actually want to get sleep this is certainly not the place.
As the day turned into night the noise got louder and louder. I'm not usually one to complain about noise but this was ridiculous. Apparently they are unable to install double glazed windows to reduce the noise due to the building being heritage listed which is why my wife and I are currently sitting in the dark. There is currently a power outage and no backup generator. This means the only tool we had to drown out the noise (the tv) cannot be used.
This place Sucks, avoid at all costs!

• Stayed: September 2013