All reviews espresso machine gaslamp district street noise boutique hotel gas lamp bars and restaurants the location is perfect enjoyed my stay petco park shower loft sd
Reviewed July 20, 2008

When I plan a trip, I spend an inordinate amount of time researching hotels to ensure that our accommodations will be perfect. I wish I had done that before I booked the Keating.

My chief complaint was, yes, the noise. The weekend of my stay coincided with Pride, so there may have been more revelers in the Gaslamp Quarter than usual. However, it appears that the main culprit was the hotel’s own lounge bar, Minus 1, which, according to one of the front desk staff, is the only place that is open until 3-4am in the morning. Earplugs did nothing to minimize the thumping music, the roaring crowds, or the police sirens. I decided to pop a Benadryl around 3:15am and that worked like a charm. A girl needs her beauty sleep!

The hotel is located in the heart of the Gaslamp District and a short walk to the Horton Plaza. When I arrived at the hotel, I had to wait a few minutes curbside, as the valet driver was nowhere to be found. Beware – overnight parking is $30 per night!

Check-in was a breeze. I do agree with earlier reviewers that staff need additional training in hospitality and professionalism. Everyone was friendly enough, but there was just something lacking.

I was escorted to my room by a young woman, but when we got there, it was apparent that the room had not been cleaned since the prior occupants’ departure. After being advised that the room would be ready in 20-30 minutes, I left my bags and walked over to Horton Plaza to check out the Nordstrom Anniversary sale. The staff had assured me that they would call my cell phone as soon as the room was ready. I never received a call but when I returned an hour later, the room was indeed ready.

The same young woman escorted me up to my room. After showing me how to use the television (Bang & Olufsen HDTV, no less) and the espresso machine, she made me a solo shot on the spot.

I stayed in a standard room, the Stanza. The room was on the top floor and faced the street. Here come some big pluses. The king-sized bed was absolutely comfortable with tons of down pillows (too bad I didn’t get much of an opportunity to enjoy sleeping in it). Towels were plush, as were the bath mats. Robes and slippers are provided. The aforementioned tv is a wall-mounted flatscreen and every couch potato’s fantasy. On one of the nightstands lies a Sanctuary, a little white box containing no less than 11 cell phone chargers, which I used to charge my iPhone. Of course, the mini-fridge came packed with petite libations – Vitamin Water, Perrier, soda, and alcohol. The snacks looked very appetizing - tres chic square packages of roasted almonds, cheese crisps, and chocolates. The turndown service was a pleasant surprise. I returned to my room to find a plate of mini fruit tarts. Overall, the room is cleverly designed with luxurious amenities.

If the owner/operators would do a little soundproofing, this just might a gem of a hotel.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed July 7, 2008

TWO MAJOR POINTS:

(1)The Keating IS NOT for everyone!
(2)The Keating IS PERECT for those who know what they want!

We spent three unbelievable evenings at The Keating and loved every nuance of the experience. After reading some of the prior reviews, we did approach the hotel with some caution…after all, “no shower doors” & “water on the floor” and not enjoying
“quiet evenings.”

Stay out of Gaslamp Quarter, if you are in search of “quiet”…. try an assisted care living center for senior citizens…”lights out at 9:00 PM and no talking.”

If you get a bit of water on the floor…call your personal concierge…maybe it will be Christy or Anji… and they will have someone deliver your extra towels and take care of the wet floor……we know, we did! Don’t waste your money on a Stanze Vista….split with the extra bucks and go for at least a “Chic” or “Imperiale.”

The in-room coffee maker is top of the line…get extra canisters…you will covet the espresso!

Pay attention during the in-room check-in process and ask questions if you don’t understand how the remotes work…everything has a remote!

Spend at least some time in the Minus-1 Lounge…great bar staff (check out the Vault)….the atmosphere and crowd starts picking up around mid-night. They also make it simple to figure out the difference between the Women’s Room and the Men’s Room.

Love that special Keating Naughty or Nice package….black silk pajamas, etc., etc…..wait ‘till you see what the “turn down” crew does to your room to make your evening memorable!

Someone previously mentioned the “in room massage”…..that’s a must do!

btw…when the street noise starts getting a little loud after 1:30 AM….get dressed and go out and join the fun on 5th Ave….be part of the problem…worry about the solution when you get home.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank omegaet
Reviewed June 27, 2008

This place was amazing. I hope they open more around the world.
I will def. come back boutique is the new thing!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank Akitty
Reviewed June 15, 2008

The service was terrible! The people working there are very RUDE! I would never go back!!!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends
3  Thank HLBSanDiego
Reviewed May 27, 2008

I have to admit, at first i was a bit hesitant if I made the right decision booking the Keating for my stay. Looking at it from the outside, I thought I was getting one of these old hotels where the furniture hasn't been updated for 50 years, but it was totally the opposite. The hotel is a true diamond in the ruff. The service was great, the rooms were fantastic and all the details of the hotel tuely made this stay an experiece I will never forget. The bed has to be the most comfotable bed I have ever slept in, the only down side is that you can't buy the bed yet, they told me by the end of summer it will be available to purchase. This will be the only hotel I stay at when I return to San Diego! The staff truely went above and beyond what they needed to do, they even walked me to my restaurant a few blocks away. Everything about the hotel was perfect two thumbs up.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business