“Perfect Stay!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #109 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Manhattan Beach
“Perfect Stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

I stayed at The Keating this past Saturday and Sunday night. The experience was great from start to finish. My mom and I were in town to the run a race and wanted somewhere fun to stay with good proximity to the race so we could walk to the start line. When we arrived we were promptly greeted by a very gracious and friendly valet. We told him we were going to run the race and he mentioned that he was a marathon runner as well- great conversation to start. We entered our spacious room and were pleased. I think it was a little modern for my mom on first impression with the concrete floor and exposed shower but she was saying how much she liked the space by the end of the night. The bed was incredibly comfortable, we loved the radio to listed to music (we are not TV people) and the shower amenities were great. Both of us slept soundly and did not experience any of the noise mentioned in previous reviews.

The location of the hotel can not be beat. You can walk anywhere in the gas lamp district and the front desk agents are always willing to give you advise about where to go. I wanted to find a place for good take-out lunch and was directed to Zanzibar- delicious! Last, on the morning of the race we realized we were not given safety pins to attach our race numbers to our shirts. The front desk agent, at 6am mind you, located a box of safety pins for us.I believe he had to go purchase them. We could not thank Chris enough for his service at such an early hour.

My only wish would be for a tub (to soak after the run) but I believe they have rooms that offer them and I simply did not book that type.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank SouthBayRox
cbrooks227, Manager at The Keating Hotel by Pininfarina, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words about us here at The Keating Hotel! We appreciate you taking the time to write a review about your experience. I will be sure to pass on to Chris and the rest of the concierge staff your kind words and thanks – we pride ourselves on our service, and I’m happy to hear that our staff is providing quality care for our guests. Thank you again for your positive feedback, and we look forward to your next stay with us!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Carmel Valley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

Superb acommodations in a unique modernistic hotel. Every turn presented very curious design features. The staff went above and beyond to make our stay enjoyable, truly professional but never in a haughty or distant way. It was clear they enjoyed their work and each other, they showed great respect toward one another. The noise, well that is another story. That earplugs are provided together with the turndown chocolates is an indication. I was cautioned that it was noisy and I have spent quite a few nights in noisy downtown hotels but this exceeded all expectations. Double pane sound insolation windows would raise this hotel's value - a simple and inexpensive fix. Noise was such that you will not sleep! and it continues all night until daybreak. Plan to sleep in the daytime.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank pjdowd
Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your experience here at The Keating Hotel. We appreciate your positive feedback about the hotel. I apologize for any discomfort you experienced during your stay at the Keating Hotel. Our building is a historic San Diego landmark, originally constructed in 1890. We recently received the green light from the Historical Society of San Diego to install double pained windows in all of our rooms. We do our best to place guests with concerns regarding the street noise into our interior stanzas, which are drastically quieter. I encourage you to call us directly to reserve any future stays and request one of these rooms should you choose to give us a second opportunity to impress you! Thank you again for your kind words and staying at the Keating Hotel.
Thousand Oaks, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

The Keating Hotel was first class in every way, second only to the professional and efficient staff there. All of our needs were met and exceeded our expectations from the moment we arrived. We were upgraded to a suite that was perfect for our two night stay! From the shower and amenities to the sheets on the bed, The Keating Hotel has all the comfort, style and flair. There is an understated opulence that we truly enjoyed. Andra, Sarah and the entire staff were very attentive.

Knowing what to expect in the GasLamp District of San Diego is the key to enjoying yourself at this hotel. If you are expecting the calm, serene feel, this is not your place. The noise didn't bother us at all, what would you expect four stories up in this charming, old, amazingly decorated hotel in the heart of the city. It is a historic sight and has so much history, that all the other things didn't seem to matter.

Can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Take a bath in the Imperial Suite!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sunsetstolove
Thank you so much for your kind words about us here at The Keating Hotel! We appreciate you taking the time to write this review about your experience at our hotel. I am so glad to hear that the property, staff, and amenities exceeded your expectations. We pride ourselves on service, and I will be sure to pass along your kind words to Andra, Sarah and the rest of the staff. I’m happy to hear that our staff is providing quality care to our guests. Thank you again for such positive feedback, and we very much look forward to your next visit!
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

Nice hotel, friendly staff, good location... But none of it makes up for the fact that the room windows are so poor that they might as not be there. Spent the entire night listening to the sound of the club and partners next door.... Followed by the road construction crews in early morning. No amount of nice makes up for a total lack of sleep.

• Stayed March 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank RCinDC
Thank you for taking the time to write this review about your experience with us here at The Keating Hotel. We appreciate all feedback in the spirit of self-improvement. I apologize for any discomfort you experienced during your stay. Our building is a historic San Diego landmark, originally constructed in 1890. We recently received the green light from the Historical Society of San Diego to install double pained windows in all of our rooms. We do our best to place guests with concerns regarding the street noise into our interior stanzas, which are drastically quieter. I encourage you to call us directly to reserve any future stays and request one of these rooms should you choose to give us a second opportunity to impress you! Thank you again for your feedback and staying at the Keating Hotel.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

I stayed here for 5 nights the last week in January 2013. It is a unique and charming hotel, however two things conspired to ruin my stay here. First, the noise. I was on the fourth and highest floor and still could not drown out the noise from the live band in the bar at the base of the hotel which played every night until 1:00-1:30 AM, followed of course by the drunk screaming and laughing outside the bar which goes on for an hour or two after that. Second, my $200 North Face coat was stolen. Here's what happened. I checked in on Sunday and checked out on Friday morning. Tuesday of my stay was the only day I wore the coat. That day, I walked to the convention center where I worked all day, had dinner by the convention center, and then walked straight home wearing my coat. We did not go back out that night. My coworker, who also stayed at the hotel and walked to and from with me every day, can attest that I wore the jacket home and did not go back out, (Besides, I would have noticed walking ¾ of a mile in the freezing cold without my coat.) I even remember what hanger I hung the coat on in my closet in the room. I did not wear the coat the rest of the week as it was way too warm (again attested to by my coworker). When I went to pack my things on Thursday night in preparation for checkout the next morning, my coat was not hanging there. Ironically, on Weds, the day after I wore the coat for the only time, I mentioned to the front desk that my soap and shampoo had not been refilled in the room for two days, and then left for the convention center. Sometime between then and Thursday night, the jacket "disappeared". I told the management at checkout Friday morning that the jacket was stolen and they said they had high resolution cameras that would be able to tell exactly what happened. I had to leave San Diego to make my meetings up near Los Angeles. From that point forward, the management did what they could to placate me while making it their first priority to be sure that the hotel could not be blamed. The “high resolution” video was too dark and blurry to see what was going on, they said. They also started referring to the coat as “lost” which was an extra insult. Here is a quote from management, “There is nothing else we can do with regards to you losing your jacket. The hotel is not responsible for lost items.” The manager was pleasant but dismissive and insulting at the same time. To be sure I covered all my bases before writing this, I checked with every restaurant we went to all week even though I knew there was no chance of the coat being there since I only wore the coat one day. I asked the Keating management about the conference room at the hotel that we were in for an hour even though that was later in the week than the day I wore my coat. My advice to anyone who stays here is to protect your valuables. Take photographs of the clothes hanging in your closet each night, especially if you make a complaint about the service. The hotel has still not made any offer of compensation and I have given them 3 weeks. I am an honest, hardworking businessman and practicing Catholic. I am not in the business of trying to hustle a hotel, yet that is how the Keating treated me. The last thing I wanted to spend time on was writing a review like this, but hopefully it will protect others who read this.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank ricknie
Thank you for taking the time to write this review about your experience here at The Keating Hotel. We appreciate all feedback in the spirit of growth and self-improvement. We apologize for the unfortunate inconvenience of your lost coat during your stay here at the hotel. I would like to assure you and future guests that our staff here at The Keating Hotel did everything possible to determine the cause of the missing coat, to locate the coat, and to return the coat. Disappointing as it is that the coat was unable to be recovered, I must reiterate that unfortunate incidences such as this are not at fault of or fall under the legal responsibility of the hotel. We do our very, very best to ensure that these incidences either do not occur at all or are at worst extremely rare in occurrence. If and when they do occur, we do all that we can in assistance with recovering the lost and/or stolen items from the hotel and return them to our guests.
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

We stayed here Feb. 10th to 13th. Christos adn his staff can't do enough for you, to start he upgraded us to a suite on Penthouse floor. They were very helpful with dinner reserviation and anthhing we needed. The beds and pillows were wonderful, there was some outside noise but that did not bother us in the least. If I had a complaint it would the seating in the room was designed for looks and not comfort. Overall excellent place to stay.
Melvin Carlisle

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Melvin –
Thank you so much for your kind words about us here at The Keating Hotel! We appreciate you taking the time to write such a positive review about the hotel. I’m so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us here at The Keating! We pride ourselves on our service, so I will be sure to pass along your kind words to the rest of the staff. Thank you again for your feedback, and we look forward to your next visit!
Sarasota, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

If I were staying here for a pleasure trip to stay out late drinking, this is the place to stay. But if you're coming here for business DON'T stay here.

The hotel is located in walking distance close to everything in the district. And there is plenty to see, do, eat and drink there. The hotel was clean, interesting design in the rooms, comfortable, and the staff could not be friendlier or more helpful. I checked in on a Tuesday night, that evening I needed to make ear plugs so I could got to sleep. You see it's located right next to a drinking establishment with LIVE and LOUD entertainment till after 1:30am every night I was there (Saturday). The hotel did leave a courtesy pair of foam ear plugs my second night, which was greatly appreciated.

When you checkout regardless of where you got your reservation, even though you've paid all taxes and fees. They will advise you, you still have to pay a historical building fee of $3.12 per night. It's not that big of a deal in cost, it's more the principal of the thing of the thing. I MIGHT return if I'm there for a pleasure trip, but NOT anything to do with business.

Room Tip: I stayed in Penhoues D.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review about your experience here at The Keating Hotel. We appreciate all feedback in the spirit of self-improvement. I apologize for any discomfort you experienced during your stay. Our building is a historic San Diego landmark, originally constructed in 1890. We recently received the green light from the Historical Society of San Diego to install double pained windows in all of our rooms. We do our best to place guests with concerns regarding the street noise into our interior stanzas, which are drastically quieter. I encourage you to call us directly to reserve any future stays and request one of these rooms should you choose to give us a second opportunity to impress you! Thank you again for your feedback and staying at the Keating Hotel.