“NOT for a business trip, but pleasure YES”

The Keating Hotel by Pininfarina
Ranked #114 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Sarasota, Florida
“NOT for a business trip, but pleasure YES”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

If I were staying here for a pleasure trip to stay out late drinking, this is the place to stay. But if you're coming here for business DON'T stay here.

The hotel is located in walking distance close to everything in the district. And there is plenty to see, do, eat and drink there. The hotel was clean, interesting design in the rooms, comfortable, and the staff could not be friendlier or more helpful. I checked in on a Tuesday night, that evening I needed to make ear plugs so I could got to sleep. You see it's located right next to a drinking establishment with LIVE and LOUD entertainment till after 1:30am every night I was there (Saturday). The hotel did leave a courtesy pair of foam ear plugs my second night, which was greatly appreciated.

When you checkout regardless of where you got your reservation, even though you've paid all taxes and fees. They will advise you, you still have to pay a historical building fee of $3.12 per night. It's not that big of a deal in cost, it's more the principal of the thing of the thing. I MIGHT return if I'm there for a pleasure trip, but NOT anything to do with business.

Room Tip: I stayed in Penhoues D.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
cbrooks227, Manager at The Keating Hotel by Pininfarina, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review about your experience here at The Keating Hotel. We appreciate all feedback in the spirit of self-improvement. I apologize for any discomfort you experienced during your stay. Our building is a historic San Diego landmark, originally constructed in 1890. We recently received the green light from the Historical Society of San Diego to install double pained windows in all of our rooms. We do our best to place guests with concerns regarding the street noise into our interior stanzas, which are drastically quieter. I encourage you to call us directly to reserve any future stays and request one of these rooms should you choose to give us a second opportunity to impress you! Thank you again for your feedback and staying at the Keating Hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Costa Mesa, California
Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

Let me start with the positive, location is great. Other than that this hotel is awful. I have stayed in hotels in 22 different countries and putting up pictures of race cars and half naked women does not make a place "nice" or "classy". It costs $32 a night to park here. The noise is overwhelming with the bars and nightclubs right below and fire and police sirens all night long. The room itself is a concrete box. There is a Bang & Olufsen TV and stereo but you have to walk up within a foot of the television to get the 7 pound remote to work. There is an espresso maker in each room but ours was out of service. Turn down service includes two "Chips Ahoy" cookies and pods for the espresso machine that is out of service. We tried calling the front desk 6 different times and got a busy signal each time. The room came with three pillows for a California king and my wife ended up using rolled up towels because the front desk wouldn't respond. If you want room service just a heads up that it appears Brick + Mortar has gone out of business. I'm all for modern amenities but it would be nice if the bathroom and toilet was separated from the room by a door at the very least. Oh, did I mention the noise? There would be less noise in a hostel on the ground floor of the red light district in Amsterdam. Because of all this we will be checking out a night early.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chuckdjohnson
Thank you for taking the time to write this review about your experience at The Keating Hotel. We appreciate all feedback in the spirit of growth and self-improvement. I apologize for any discomfort that you experience during your stay. I will be speaking to the housekeeping and maintenance staff to ensure that the issues that you brought up are addressed and fixed immediately. As for the noise, our building is a historic San Diego landmark that was originally constructed in 1890. We recently received the green light from the Historical Society to install double pained windows in all of our rooms. Thank you again for your feedback and staying at the Keating Hotel.

Travelers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Maitland, Florida, United States
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Very helpful! Aways said hello and can i help you. do you need any thing wow what a great group of Lady.s and Men! Made us feel very welcome from the time we walk in untill we left. Alway greeted coming in or going out, and also ask where were heading so we would no get lost or go the wrong way. Great group the staff there was Wonderful. The only Sorry draw back was the noise of the bar next door but they told us they woud be working on the windows. They did suppy ear plugs and i still go back even with the noise. It was not that bad but trying to be honest. They made us feel like we mattered not like the big chain where you see them when you check in then when you check out they remeber you and Always asked how was your day do you need any thing? wow try to get that at the Hilton or Marriot You want. It was a great place to call home for the short time i was there made me want to move from fla to san deigo. Thanks guys you where great.

Room Tip: We were on the thrid four and the sun came in the day when we were out facing f street between 3 and...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Vel –
Thank you so much for your kind words about us here at The Keating Hotel! We appreciate you taking the time to write about your experience here at the hotel. I will be sure to pass along your kind words to the rest of the staff – we pride ourselves on our service, and I’m glad to hear that our staff is providing quality care to our guests. I’m so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us here at the Keating! Thank you again for your positive feedback, and we look forward to your next visit!
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

I love the design of this hotel. The building is in the historic Gaslamp District, all bars and restaurants are just a few footsteps from your door. As soon as you walk into your room, you enter another world. Bare concrete floors, a vast shower area and a super comfortable bed give it an edgy, very trendy touch. I do not feel that the room looks cold at all. Even the concrete floor gives it a very loft-like industrial charm. Our room gave out to the back, so we did not have much of a view, which was fine, since we had no problem at all with music and noise that other people have been complaining about.

We had a deal with breakfast vouchers that could be used in a nearby cafe. Although there was a bit of a commotion around the vouchers, hotel staff was very helpful to sort everything out. And that is the very big plus of this hotel: the staff is absolutely excellent, they are pro-active, helpful and polite.

I would recommend this hotel !

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CruellaBarbie
Thank you so much for your kind words about us here at The Keating Hotel! We appreciate you taking the time to write this review about your experience at the hotel. I’m so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us here at The Keating! I will be sure to pass along your kind words to the staff – we pride ourselves on service, and I’m so happy to hear that our staff is providing quality care to our guests. Thank you again for your positive feedback, and we look forward to your next stay with us!
Dana Point, California
Reviewed January 12, 2013

The Keating Hotel is a 35 room boutique luxury hotel in San Diego,CA. The personalized service was always on point. We arrived for an early check-in and escorted by one of the staff to our room. She was very helpful to explain how to use amenities like the high-tech expresso machine, tv and phone charging station that works for just about every phone known to mankind. Their Kerstin Florian bath products were a nice suprise! (I always bring my own just in case). I will be back and look forward to trying the new restaurant!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room if you need to get to bed early. Its the Gaslamp district and bars and restra...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank spencer b
Dear Spencer –
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review about your experience with us here at The Keating Hotel! I’m so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay here at the hotel. I will be sure to pass along your kind words to our staff as we pride ourselves on our service, and I’m glad to hear that they are providing quality care to our guests. Thank you again for your kind words, and we look forward to your next stay with us!
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed January 8, 2013

On 12/12 I stayed at your hotel as I do often. The next day after my business I came back by and parked in the valet while I went to eat lunch before catching my plane. When I came back Theresa(I think that was her name) Let me know I had a flat tire on my rental car. She went above and beyond in helping me out even though I was not even technically a guest at the time. She arranged for the rental car company to tow the vehicle and handled all the details and even got me a cab to get me back to the airport. You will continue to earn my business when I travel to San Diego and I continue to tell everyone about the great little hotel in San Diego!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Andy G
Dear Andy –
Thank you so much for your kind words about us here at The Keating Hotel! We appreciate you taking the time to write this review about your experience with us here at the hotel. I’m so glad to hear that you have continued to enjoy your stays and have such positive experiences with us here at The Keating. I will be sure to pass along your kind words to our staff. Thank you again for such kind words, and we very much look forward to your next stay with us!
Riverside
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed her last year for our anniversary. I absolutely loved the old place. The industrial style for the rooms was different and edgy. My wife didn't like it at all. I thought it was an interesting contrast to the structure itself. Location is awesome. There is plenty within walking distance. The staff was incredible. You asked for it, it appeared, was answered, shown, given. These people were professionals.. That's it. Daytime is fantastic. If you plan to sleep... AT ALL... once the sun goes down... FORGET IT!. The noise from the three bars below is inescapable and didn't end until the last of the drunk morons finished his yelling at 3:30 in the morning. By 5 a.m. the delivery and trash trucks were roaming through the streets to pick up where the drunks left off.

So I guess you ask yourself... Do I REALLY need to sleep? If the answer is no, head on down here. The place is fantastic. If you like your sleep, stay elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Robert G
Dear Robert –
Thank you for taking the time to write this review about your experience at The Keating Hotel. I apologize for any discomfort you experienced during your stay here. Our building is a historic San Diego landmark that was originally constructed in 1890, and we just recently received the green light from the Historical Society to install double pained windows in all of our rooms. I’m glad to hear you enjoyed the property and service during your stay at the hotel though. I’ll be sure to pass along your kind words to the rest of our staff as we pride ourselves on service, and I’m happy to hear that they are providing our guests with quality care. Thank you again for your feedback, and we look forward to your next visit!