“Fantastic little updated boutique for couples!”

and 1 more site!
The Keating Hotel by Pininfarina
Ranked #108 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed September 28, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here over his birthday to meet my cousins for a fun night downtown! I find it easiest to list the benefits and negatives....

Pros-
1. Location - Great! Downtown close to everything!
2. Price - Very budget friendly for a high quality room.
3. Room - We were upgraded to the top floor, very open and spacious room. No carpet, and a really comfortable bed!
4. Amenities - WOW. Very nice upgraded features.
5. Bathroom/Shower - Private toilet area, and cool rain shower head, but open!! My boyfriend enjoyed his view from the bed haha! :)
6. Customer Service - We were greeted outside, by the front desk agent, can't remember her name but she was stellar!!! The valet gentleman was nice too and carried our bags to our room! Unfortunately we did not have any cash on us and felt like real jerk-faces for stiffing him at our door. We later pulled out $20 from the bank to say Thank you and Sorry
7. The hotel does have earplugs if you feel the room is too loud, nice complimentary item.
8. A gentleman came and delivered cookies, coffee packets and a room service breakfast ordering menu at night. My boyfriend devoured the cookies and decided we had to stay there again just for those :)

Cons-
These weren't really issues for us, I'm really just giving our thoughts on the top gripes I read!

1. I guess people complain its noisy, but to be honest I live on a busy street in Las Vegas and it was comforting, sounded like home to me! The garbage truck in the morning may wake people up, but we were already awake...it was like 8.
2. A lot of people on here complained about the shower and to be truthful I would not stay in the room with a friend or family, as you are slightly visible to someone on the bed haha :) Like I said though, my boyfriend thoroughly enjoyed it as is and didn't bother me.
3. I noticed a lot of complaints about the valet parking. It's a city, expect to pay for parking, at least it's not 75 a night (NYC). We had no trouble, waited maybe 5 minutes for the car, was returned in perfect order no bumps bruises or scratches :)

Overall a GREAT STAY!!! Thanks again The Keating!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Zanbenz
cbrooks227, Guest Relations Manager at The Keating Hotel by Pininfarina, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

Dear Rachel H-
Thank you so much for this great review! I’m glad to hear you and your boyfriend enjoyed your stay at The Keating Hotel. Thank you for your kind words which I have shared with my entire staff. Great customer service is something we pride ourselves in. We strive to make sure our guests feel at home while they are staying with us, and it’s great to hear our efforts didn’t go unnoticed. You pretty much said it all, and well said might I add. All I can say is THANK YOU for this wonderful review! We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back the next time you are in the San Diego area.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

just got back from San Diego, me and my girlfriend statyed here at The Keating the design is very modern which is super cool to have since its something very different from the regular hotels that we've stasyed at in the past. the staff is super friendly and they remember who you are. I want to give a personal shout out to Ariel at the Keating because she was very awesome. there is a little street noise but let be real people you're in downtown San Diego what do you expect.. I read other reviews about the keating before I book it and a lot of people were saying the street noise was so loud i think those statments were crap. all in all the stay and the service was great!! i will stay here again and although the staff asked if I was proposing ( I didn't) but it doesn't mean I wont be next time.. :) to all the staff at the Keating THANK YOU for an awesome stay

W D of Arizona

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Will D.-

Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for choosing us to spend your special getaway weekend with. Ariel is amazing, and I’m glad she was extremely helpful during your stay. We look forward to getting the opportunity to welcome you back. (and hopefully for that special occasion we were anticipating!)

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Wow. This is in a historic building with a design makeover by Pininfarina (designers of Ferrari and Maserati, to name a couple). The interior carpeting is deep red, while our room had the same tones along with brighter red and cream. The room has a modern look while being enhanced by the old world brick charm of its age.

About our particular room: We were in a suite on the top floor (PH level) with a multi view of the city towards the heart of Gaslamp quarter and out towards the ocean. There's a CA King bed, walk-in type open shower, separate toilet room, desk, sitting area, storage and a small twin-size settee. Every room features an espresso machine with Lavazza coffee (complimentary) and a mini refrigerator stocked with liquor, soda, juice and water. There's also some snacks, all for purchase.

The design from front desk to room and hallways is amazing. However, the only con here is that there the windows are old single-paned and it sounds like they are always cracked open because you can hear the activities in the district. We happen to be here Labor Day weekend so were stuck with partying after partying down below, including an all-night event at a nearby nightclub. This was the only issue we had with noise, but managed to get our sleep in the night.

Staff is friendly, for the most part, especially Brittany and another Latina gal (didn't catch her name) and the graveyard guy who became a familiar face first thing in the morning for my early-bird self.

The hotel is situated within walking distance of everything from a multitude of cuisines to gift shops. The price is more than reasonable and prepare for valet-only parking at $32 per night (not bad). There's fresh cookies daily and pastries on occasional mornings. The elevator is slow, which is perfect for me since I tend to get dizzy in most elevators but this one didn't give me that effect.

A definite recommendation if one wants to be situated at the heart of all the happenings, but would say this is more for the younger adults in the 20 to 30-somethings who like the night life.

We love the design and appreciate the historical value of the building.

Room Tip: Valet-only parking, no pool, no fitness center but in the center of everything in the Gaslamp Distri...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank ChiqueTrendz
cbrooks227, Guest Relations Manager at The Keating Hotel by Pininfarina, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Thank you so much for the positive feedback! I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time at the Keating Hotel and found our in-room amenities to your liking. I will be sure to pass on your thanks and kind words to Brentney, Cindy, and Carlos - we pride ourselves on service above all else and I am very happy that they are providing quality care to our guests. We look forward to your next stay, please contact me directly for an reservation needs you may have. Thanks again, until next time!

Reviewed August 23, 2012

The Keating is in the heart of The Gas Lamp district on "F" Street. I stayed with my daughtr while touring colleges & she was so impressed that her mom picked such a hip boutique hotel.
We fell in love with the beds, the furniture & the Nespresso machine for comp expressos & even steamed milk! The daily cookies are delcious. Room service delivered their promise of 7 minutes. I timed them & they did it!
The hotel is in a historical building & the windows cannot be sound proofed, but they even supply ear plugs if you are a light sleeper. Another detail not missed! Location is outstanding.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank yvonnedetert
cbrooks227, Manager at The Keating Hotel by Pininfarina, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2012

Glad you enjoyed your stay! It is always nice to hear the positive feedback and how guests do appreciate what we at the Keating are trying to accomplish. Please contact us directly for your next visit for a complimentary upgrade as a thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Reviewed August 11, 2012

I pre-paid $299 towards a stay at The Keating, and they refuse to allow me get the full value of the $299 when staying at the hotel for one night. The room rate is $199, and they told me I had to lose the pre-paid difference. The $299 originally included many things like a 2 night stay, dinner, breakfast, champagne, and internet. All I asked for was a single night at $199 and maybe breakfast/parking to make up for the $100 I was losing. They refused and told me that their policy was to not only make me eat the difference as the money was for room only. They also said they told anyone else (and referred to many) who called they had to forfeit any value difference as well.

This is a hotel that is more concerned with keeping pre-paid money than working with customers to get their fair value. This is poor management and bad customer relations. With so many options in San Diego...I am sure anyone reading this can find better customer relations at a name brand hotel or even a better run boutique. If you do stay here, just make sure you get what you paid for cause once they have your money....its a done deal.

Needless to say we did not stay here. So we cannot comment on the hotel location, rooms or cleanliness, etc. We simply will never stay at a place that refuses to honor the full value a customer pre pays by working with them to achieve that.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
67  Thank fishtale
cbrooks227, Front Office Manager at The Keating Hotel by Pininfarina, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us; we value all feedback in the spirit of continued improvement. Throughout the year, we offer exclusive packages as an invitation for guests to experience both the Keating Hotel and MerK Bistro. These packages are available directly with your Personal Concierge and sometimes through discounted travel sites; to ensure fairness for all guest purchasing these vouchers, restrictions do apply, including an expiration date (typically 6-9 months from date of purchase).

We understand situations arise that may complicate your travel plans and do not want anyone to miss the opportunity to experience the Keating; our policy is to redeem all package vouchers for their face value as a credit towards room and tax on a future stay after the expiration date has passed. Again, this policy is to ensure that all guests receive uniform service and treatment.

Should you reconsider, we would love to have you as a guest. Please contact me directly and I will assist will applying the $299 credit to your reservation.

Standards & Operations Director

Reviewed July 28, 2012

This is a small boutique hotel with unique rooms and comfy beds. The service is amazing. From the moment I checked in the staff knew me by name and couldn't do enough for me to make my stay memorable. They were very friendly, addressed all my by business requests and even helped me with all my trade show materials. The location is perfect too. Right in the heart of the gaslamp district. I would definitley stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the upper floors as the bar next door can be a bit noisy.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank lcsjss2
cbrooks227, Guest Relations Manager at The Keating Hotel by Pininfarina, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2012

lcsjss2-

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay at The Keating Hotel. Being such a small property, providing the best personalized service is something we strive for, and I'm glad it didn't go unrecognized! I will be sure to pass your kind words to all my concierges, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Reviewed July 17, 2012

My husband and I stayed here on our wedding night and had an absolute blast! The hotel is in the heart of the historic Gaslamp Quarter in Downtown San Diego. The hotel is San Diego's first, est. in 1890. It has a great mix of modern sexy Italian design and historic rustic brick building. The staff is kept small which makes for a more intimate experience, as they are able to get to know their guests better and their own colleagues. They are extremely nice and personable, and very knowledgeable. Our personal concierges, Brenteny and Carlos, were excellent! We had a corner penthouse suite right on 5th and F St which made for excellent people watching, which I absolutely love! Expect to hear some level of noise, as you are in a downtown historic building. The room had high ceilings, a huge jacuzzi tub, a big shower that rains down on you, a great sound system, and a very very comfy bed. The hotel is centrally located so you can walk to just about everything. We definitely look forward to staying at the Keating again!

Room Tip: Go for a corner room!!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Audrey T
cbrooks227, Guest Relations Manager at The Keating Hotel by Pininfarina, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2012

Dear Audrey T-

Thank you for taking the time to write this amazing and detailed review! I am pleased to hear you had an excellent experience at the Keating Hotel and enjoyed all the amenities our rooms had to offer! The jacuzzi tub is definitely one of my favorites! Our personal concierges take great pride in making sure your stay is a memorable one and it's great to read our service did not go unnoticed. I will be sure to pass your regards to Brentley and Carlos. We look forward to having the opportunity to see you again when traveling to the Gaslamp San Diego!

warm regards,