All reviewsespresso machinegaslamp districtstreet noiseboutique hotelgas lampbars and restaurantsthe location is perfectenjoyed my staypetco parkshowerloftsd
Reviewed August 23, 2012

The Keating is in the heart of The Gas Lamp district on "F" Street. I stayed with my daughtr while touring colleges & she was so impressed that her mom picked such a hip boutique hotel.
We fell in love with the beds, the furniture & the Nespresso machine for comp expressos & even steamed milk! The daily cookies are delcious. Room service delivered their promise of 7 minutes. I timed them & they did it!
The hotel is in a historical building & the windows cannot be sound proofed, but they even supply ear plugs if you are a light sleeper. Another detail not missed! Location is outstanding.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank yvonnedetert
cbrooks227, Manager at The Keating Hotel by Pininfarina, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2012

Glad you enjoyed your stay! It is always nice to hear the positive feedback and how guests do appreciate what we at the Keating are trying to accomplish. Please contact us directly for your next visit for a complimentary upgrade as a thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Reviewed August 11, 2012

I pre-paid $299 towards a stay at The Keating, and they refuse to allow me get the full value of the $299 when staying at the hotel for one night. The room rate is $199, and they told me I had to lose the pre-paid difference. The $299 originally included many things like a 2 night stay, dinner, breakfast, champagne, and internet. All I asked for was a single night at $199 and maybe breakfast/parking to make up for the $100 I was losing. They refused and told me that their policy was to not only make me eat the difference as the money was for room only. They also said they told anyone else (and referred to many) who called they had to forfeit any value difference as well.

This is a hotel that is more concerned with keeping pre-paid money than working with customers to get their fair value. This is poor management and bad customer relations. With so many options in San Diego...I am sure anyone reading this can find better customer relations at a name brand hotel or even a better run boutique. If you do stay here, just make sure you get what you paid for cause once they have your money....its a done deal.

Needless to say we did not stay here. So we cannot comment on the hotel location, rooms or cleanliness, etc. We simply will never stay at a place that refuses to honor the full value a customer pre pays by working with them to achieve that.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
67  Thank fishtale
cbrooks227, Front Office Manager at The Keating Hotel by Pininfarina, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us; we value all feedback in the spirit of continued improvement. Throughout the year, we offer exclusive packages as an invitation for guests to experience both the Keating Hotel and MerK Bistro. These packages are available directly with your Personal Concierge and sometimes through discounted travel sites; to ensure fairness for all guest purchasing these vouchers, restrictions do apply, including an expiration date (typically 6-9 months from date of purchase).

We understand situations arise that may complicate your travel plans and do not want anyone to miss the opportunity to experience the Keating; our policy is to redeem all package vouchers for their face value as a credit towards room and tax on a future stay after the expiration date has passed. Again, this policy is to ensure that all guests receive uniform service and treatment.

Should you reconsider, we would love to have you as a guest. Please contact me directly and I will assist will applying the $299 credit to your reservation.

Standards & Operations Director

Reviewed July 28, 2012

This is a small boutique hotel with unique rooms and comfy beds. The service is amazing. From the moment I checked in the staff knew me by name and couldn't do enough for me to make my stay memorable. They were very friendly, addressed all my by business requests and even helped me with all my trade show materials. The location is perfect too. Right in the heart of the gaslamp district. I would definitley stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the upper floors as the bar next door can be a bit noisy.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank lcsjss2
cbrooks227, Guest Relations Manager at The Keating Hotel by Pininfarina, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2012

lcsjss2-

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay at The Keating Hotel. Being such a small property, providing the best personalized service is something we strive for, and I'm glad it didn't go unrecognized! I will be sure to pass your kind words to all my concierges, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Director of Standards and Operations

Reviewed July 17, 2012

My husband and I stayed here on our wedding night and had an absolute blast! The hotel is in the heart of the historic Gaslamp Quarter in Downtown San Diego. The hotel is San Diego's first, est. in 1890. It has a great mix of modern sexy Italian design and historic rustic brick building. The staff is kept small which makes for a more intimate experience, as they are able to get to know their guests better and their own colleagues. They are extremely nice and personable, and very knowledgeable. Our personal concierges, Brenteny and Carlos, were excellent! We had a corner penthouse suite right on 5th and F St which made for excellent people watching, which I absolutely love! Expect to hear some level of noise, as you are in a downtown historic building. The room had high ceilings, a huge jacuzzi tub, a big shower that rains down on you, a great sound system, and a very very comfy bed. The hotel is centrally located so you can walk to just about everything. We definitely look forward to staying at the Keating again!

Room Tip: Go for a corner room!!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Audrey T
cbrooks227, Guest Relations Manager at The Keating Hotel by Pininfarina, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2012

Dear Audrey T-

Thank you for taking the time to write this amazing and detailed review! I am pleased to hear you had an excellent experience at the Keating Hotel and enjoyed all the amenities our rooms had to offer! The jacuzzi tub is definitely one of my favorites! Our personal concierges take great pride in making sure your stay is a memorable one and it's great to read our service did not go unnoticed. I will be sure to pass your regards to Brentley and Carlos. We look forward to having the opportunity to see you again when traveling to the Gaslamp San Diego!

warm regards,
Director of Standards and Operations

Reviewed July 8, 2012

Let's get the important part out of the way. Best. Hotel. Room. Coffee. Ever. Seriously. They have a Lavazza super automatic coffee maker plus first class Lavaza coffee right there in the room. We ordered room service because the coffee in the room was far better than anything we could get in a restaurant. I note that a couple of the reviewers have had problems figuring out how to use the machine. Personally, it didn't take very long to sort out what needed to be done.

The hotel interior and rooms are ultra modern with lots of stainless and concrete floors in the rooms (at least ours). I understand that is not to everyone's taste but it suited my wife and I just fine. The rooms have B&O AV equipment which is extremely impressive in a hotel. Remote controls for the lighting were a nice touch too. Really the only negative was the elevator which was painfully slow. We did elevator vs. stairs races every day...added some fun to the ride :) FWIW, the stairs won unless you really spotted the elevator a lead!

We got there on what I presume to be a low traffic day and were upgraded to one of the penthouse rooms. Not much of a view but loved having the larger room and higher ceiling. The extra distance from the ground helped keep the noise of the late night revelers down to a manageable level. And hey...you're staying in the Gaslamp quarter in a renovated 100+ year old building. You've got to expect some noise.

Front desk crew was extremely friendly and helpful. The location was very central to many things. I'm not a huge fan of the Gaslamp quarter but it was a relatively easy walk to Balboa park, the San Diego Zoo, Petco field, various ocean front access points and Little Italy. Cab ride to/from the airport was 10 - 15 minutes.

Overall a great experience and highly recommended. I would definitely go back.

Room Tip: If you can get a penthouse level room, I would recommend it.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple