All reviewsespresso machinegaslamp districtstreet noiseboutique hotelgas lampbars and restaurantsthe location is perfectenjoyed my staypetco parkshowerloftsd
Reviewed July 17, 2012

My husband and I stayed here on our wedding night and had an absolute blast! The hotel is in the heart of the historic Gaslamp Quarter in Downtown San Diego. The hotel is San Diego's first, est. in 1890. It has a great mix of modern sexy Italian design and historic rustic brick building. The staff is kept small which makes for a more intimate experience, as they are able to get to know their guests better and their own colleagues. They are extremely nice and personable, and very knowledgeable. Our personal concierges, Brenteny and Carlos, were excellent! We had a corner penthouse suite right on 5th and F St which made for excellent people watching, which I absolutely love! Expect to hear some level of noise, as you are in a downtown historic building. The room had high ceilings, a huge jacuzzi tub, a big shower that rains down on you, a great sound system, and a very very comfy bed. The hotel is centrally located so you can walk to just about everything. We definitely look forward to staying at the Keating again!

Room Tip: Go for a corner room!!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Audrey T
cbrooks227, Guest Relations Manager at The Keating Hotel by Pininfarina, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2012

Dear Audrey T-

Thank you for taking the time to write this amazing and detailed review! I am pleased to hear you had an excellent experience at the Keating Hotel and enjoyed all the amenities our rooms had to offer! The jacuzzi tub is definitely one of my favorites! Our personal concierges take great pride in making sure your stay is a memorable one and it's great to read our service did not go unnoticed. I will be sure to pass your regards to Brentley and Carlos. We look forward to having the opportunity to see you again when traveling to the Gaslamp San Diego!

warm regards,

Reviewed July 8, 2012

Let's get the important part out of the way. Best. Hotel. Room. Coffee. Ever. Seriously. They have a Lavazza super automatic coffee maker plus first class Lavaza coffee right there in the room. We ordered room service because the coffee in the room was far better than anything we could get in a restaurant. I note that a couple of the reviewers have had problems figuring out how to use the machine. Personally, it didn't take very long to sort out what needed to be done.

The hotel interior and rooms are ultra modern with lots of stainless and concrete floors in the rooms (at least ours). I understand that is not to everyone's taste but it suited my wife and I just fine. The rooms have B&O AV equipment which is extremely impressive in a hotel. Remote controls for the lighting were a nice touch too. Really the only negative was the elevator which was painfully slow. We did elevator vs. stairs races every day...added some fun to the ride :) FWIW, the stairs won unless you really spotted the elevator a lead!

We got there on what I presume to be a low traffic day and were upgraded to one of the penthouse rooms. Not much of a view but loved having the larger room and higher ceiling. The extra distance from the ground helped keep the noise of the late night revelers down to a manageable level. And hey...you're staying in the Gaslamp quarter in a renovated 100+ year old building. You've got to expect some noise.

Front desk crew was extremely friendly and helpful. The location was very central to many things. I'm not a huge fan of the Gaslamp quarter but it was a relatively easy walk to Balboa park, the San Diego Zoo, Petco field, various ocean front access points and Little Italy. Cab ride to/from the airport was 10 - 15 minutes.

Overall a great experience and highly recommended. I would definitely go back.

Room Tip: If you can get a penthouse level room, I would recommend it.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ted P
Reviewed June 4, 2012

I would NEVER stay there again. Our room was directly over the bar that had a live band playing. Our beds actually vibrated from the sound and the closet hangers shook violently. We called to complain and received horrible service. We were told that we could pay to upgrade to a better room but that they would not move us willingly. Then, we were told that we could find another hotel but that they would not refund our money. We asked for a manager and were told that not are on-site. Finally, after we continued to complain that the room was unacceptable, we were moved to a different room -- but its windows did not close. So, we heard the street noise the entire night (which being in the gas lamp district is very loud). When we mentioned that to the front desk, we were told that it is not their fault its an old hotel and they can't fix the windows. The noise is absolutely unacceptable and the customer service was horrific. This was especially frustrating because we were running the half-marathon the next day and sleep was essential. The hotel knew this but still booked runners in ridiculously noisy rooms. I didn't pay for just a bed. I paid for a room to sleep in but the noise made that impossible. It is equivalent to putting a fine restaurant in the garbage dump.

Room Tip: Don't stay there if you want to sleep or expect the staff to address your complaints.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
59  Thank Boskk69
cbrooks227, Guest Relations Manager at The Keating Hotel by Pininfarina, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2012

Dear Boskk69-

I really appreciate you taking the time to write this review. We do monitor our reviews and take each and every one them seriously. I'm terribly sorry to hear that your experience at our hotel was not up to your (and even our) standards. We strive for customer service and making sure our guests are taken care of and I apologize that your stay was not 100% up to par. We are located in a historic building, so unfortunately the windows are an issue. I am also aware that the noise coming from the restaurants and bars are an area we need to focus on, and we are trying to find other ways to help with that situation. I truly respect your expectations and have shared your review with my team. If you ever find yourself back in San Diego, I hope you can give us another chance so you can receive a true Keating experience.

Reviewed June 3, 2012

We stayed at the Keating last weekend for our 3rd anniversary in a row. It is a very romantic spot in the best part of downtown San Diego. The staff is excellent and John helped us with our every need. You can walk to everything downtown has to offer and the rooms are designed to create a great ambiance for romance. We plan to come back year after year.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Bob S

Bob S-

Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review! I'm glad our customer service shined during your stay! John is very attentive and friendly, I will be sure to pass your kind words to him. Thanks again for your stay and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed May 30, 2012

So my husband decided to get a deal that was offered for this hotel and well we went there on a Sunday night for memorial weekend, my opinion is the staff is great but the hotel itself SUCKS! I didn't like the room even though they gave us the Penthouse room in the top level, the room itself is very stiff and cold to me, nothing beautiful or comftorable. I dont ever plan on staying in this hotel, even if it was free.
We thankfully had 2 other nights in SD and stayed at Holiday Inn express by solano beach and holiday inn in mission valley, these 2 stays far outweighed the Keating hotel. I do not reccommend this place, NOT worth the cost, not comftorable, not beautiful, not what you think it might be.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
35  Thank bstella2011

Dear bstella2011

I appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback about your recent stay at The Keating Hotel. I'm glad to hear our staff was friendly and attentive, however I'm sorry to hear that our rooms were not welcoming to you. Our rooms were conceived by Pininfarina to emulate the modern look of an Italian Loft; the concrete floors are designed to ensure maximum cleanliness for all guests. We take all feedback seriously, and sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations.