“4th in San Diego”

Ranked #116 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Austin, Texas
“4th in San Diego”
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Let's get the important part out of the way. Best. Hotel. Room. Coffee. Ever. Seriously. They have a Lavazza super automatic coffee maker plus first class Lavaza coffee right there in the room. We ordered room service because the coffee in the room was far better than anything we could get in a restaurant. I note that a couple of the reviewers have had problems figuring out how to use the machine. Personally, it didn't take very long to sort out what needed to be done.

The hotel interior and rooms are ultra modern with lots of stainless and concrete floors in the rooms (at least ours). I understand that is not to everyone's taste but it suited my wife and I just fine. The rooms have B&O AV equipment which is extremely impressive in a hotel. Remote controls for the lighting were a nice touch too. Really the only negative was the elevator which was painfully slow. We did elevator vs. stairs races every day...added some fun to the ride :) FWIW, the stairs won unless you really spotted the elevator a lead!

We got there on what I presume to be a low traffic day and were upgraded to one of the penthouse rooms. Not much of a view but loved having the larger room and higher ceiling. The extra distance from the ground helped keep the noise of the late night revelers down to a manageable level. And hey...you're staying in the Gaslamp quarter in a renovated 100+ year old building. You've got to expect some noise.

Front desk crew was extremely friendly and helpful. The location was very central to many things. I'm not a huge fan of the Gaslamp quarter but it was a relatively easy walk to Balboa park, the San Diego Zoo, Petco field, various ocean front access points and Little Italy. Cab ride to/from the airport was 10 - 15 minutes.

Overall a great experience and highly recommended. I would definitely go back.

Room Tip: If you can get a penthouse level room, I would recommend it.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ted P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Chandler, Arizona
Reviewed June 4, 2012

I would NEVER stay there again. Our room was directly over the bar that had a live band playing. Our beds actually vibrated from the sound and the closet hangers shook violently. We called to complain and received horrible service. We were told that we could pay to upgrade to a better room but that they would not move us willingly. Then, we were told that we could find another hotel but that they would not refund our money. We asked for a manager and were told that not are on-site. Finally, after we continued to complain that the room was unacceptable, we were moved to a different room -- but its windows did not close. So, we heard the street noise the entire night (which being in the gas lamp district is very loud). When we mentioned that to the front desk, we were told that it is not their fault its an old hotel and they can't fix the windows. The noise is absolutely unacceptable and the customer service was horrific. This was especially frustrating because we were running the half-marathon the next day and sleep was essential. The hotel knew this but still booked runners in ridiculously noisy rooms. I didn't pay for just a bed. I paid for a room to sleep in but the noise made that impossible. It is equivalent to putting a fine restaurant in the garbage dump.

Room Tip: Don't stay there if you want to sleep or expect the staff to address your complaints.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
58 Thank Boskk69
cbrooks227, Guest Relations Manager at The Keating Hotel by Pininfarina, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Dear Boskk69-

I really appreciate you taking the time to write this review. We do monitor our reviews and take each and every one them seriously. I'm terribly sorry to hear that your experience at our hotel was not up to your (and even our) standards. We strive for customer service and making sure our guests are taken care of and I apologize that your stay was not 100% up to par. We are located in a historic building, so unfortunately the windows are an issue. I am also aware that the noise coming from the restaurants and bars are an area we need to focus on, and we are trying to find other ways to help with that situation. I truly respect your expectations and have shared your review with my team. If you ever find yourself back in San Diego, I hope you can give us another chance so you can receive a true Keating experience.

Carlsbad
Reviewed June 3, 2012

We stayed at the Keating last weekend for our 3rd anniversary in a row. It is a very romantic spot in the best part of downtown San Diego. The staff is excellent and John helped us with our every need. You can walk to everything downtown has to offer and the rooms are designed to create a great ambiance for romance. We plan to come back year after year.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Bob S
Bob S-

Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review! I'm glad our customer service shined during your stay! John is very attentive and friendly, I will be sure to pass your kind words to him. Thanks again for your stay and we look forward to your return.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 30, 2012

So my husband decided to get a deal that was offered for this hotel and well we went there on a Sunday night for memorial weekend, my opinion is the staff is great but the hotel itself SUCKS! I didn't like the room even though they gave us the Penthouse room in the top level, the room itself is very stiff and cold to me, nothing beautiful or comftorable. I dont ever plan on staying in this hotel, even if it was free.
We thankfully had 2 other nights in SD and stayed at Holiday Inn express by solano beach and holiday inn in mission valley, these 2 stays far outweighed the Keating hotel. I do not reccommend this place, NOT worth the cost, not comftorable, not beautiful, not what you think it might be.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
35 Thank bstella2011
cbrooks227, Guest Relations Manager at The Keating Hotel by Pininfarina, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
Dear bstella2011

I appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback about your recent stay at The Keating Hotel. I'm glad to hear our staff was friendly and attentive, however I'm sorry to hear that our rooms were not welcoming to you. Our rooms were conceived by Pininfarina to emulate the modern look of an Italian Loft; the concrete floors are designed to ensure maximum cleanliness for all guests. We take all feedback seriously, and sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations.

Arkansas, U.S.
Reviewed May 12, 2012

I stayed here for several days while at a convention when I could not get into the hotel booked by my group. the location in terms of access to food--many wonderful restaurants within 2 blocks. The hotel itself had both pros and cons; depends on your needs/ability to sleep through noise. The room was very modern--cool yet one might find it "aesthetically cold" with concrete floors. I usually like botique hotels (it qualifies) or b & bs with some warmth but decided to branch out of my typical comfort zone on style. Pics are accurate as are most reviews. I found the young staff very helpful. My room was on the second floor in the front. This is a hip location/area for young adults on the weekends (some actually come from OC and LA) so the bar next door with the very loud live band was absolutely crazy (not the hotel bar in the basement with salsa lessons on Thursday nights, no problem at all) so noise was outrageous on the weekend nights only accompanied by lots of street traffic and drunks outside the hotel on the weekend after the bar closed waiting for rides. Yes, the windows need to be double paned or they need to provide white noise generators. The AM noise was not all that bad. The shower was cool and fun, very comfy bed with great sheets and lots of fluffy towels and a nice robe, good free breakfast with special deals, but the highlight was the espresso maker and the coffee. I went to a CVS pharmacy in the mall only a half-block away (also great shopping if that is your desire or need anything including nice clothes in a pinch on a business trip) to get some milk and probably came close to overdosing on lattes with that wondrous machine. The company makes a mean espresso maker and they had such quality coffee pods I ordered more coffee online and am considering splurging on that espresso maker for home (sigh). Despite the noise I would stay again but might want a higher floor room (city view was not particularly panoramic and comes with street noise). Consider the pros and cons for you.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank DrPatty
cbrooks227, Guest Relations Manager at The Keating Hotel by Pininfarina, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
DrPatty-

I'd like to thank you for your feedback about your stay at The Keating Hotel. I'm happy to hear your overall visit with us was pleasant. I understand the noise can be an issue, especially on the weekends, and I'm terribly sorry if it caused any inconvenience during your stay. We know this can be an issue and try accommodate each of our guests as best as we can, we also make sure to place a set of ear plugs in every room in the case we can't move you to an interior room. I'm glad that you enjoyed all the amenities we offer, the Lavazza machine is definitely a great feature in the room! We look forward to seeing you again, be sure to contact your personal concierges for your next visit and we'd be happy to place you in an interior room to avoid the unwanted street noise.

Bests,
CALIFORNIA
Reviewed May 11, 2012

If you want a quiet night in, probably not for you. Great location if you want to be in the middle of all the action. Happy to help staff. Wonderfully decorated rooms, very modern. Not for kids, No doors around shower which was fun but a little drafty. Water pressure definately could have been better. Espresso machine in room was cool along with all the other high end electronics TV, DVD, Radio, Alarm Clock. Very clean and sylish

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Trvlng4Life
Oakland, California
Reviewed May 10, 2012

I really liked this hotel! In San Diego for a conference but was too late to get a room at one of the show hotels situated on the waterfront. So I got stuck at the Keating. Great staff. Great room! Cool rooms. Free wifi. Rainfall shower head. In the perfect location for resturaunts and shopping. Fantastic scones delivered to your room at turn down. I wii definitely stay here on my next trip to San Diego

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business