“Perfect boutique hotel in Gaslamp!”

The Keating Hotel by Pininfarina
Ranked #115 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Phoenix, Arizona
“Perfect boutique hotel in Gaslamp!”
Reviewed August 24, 2011

The Keating is a perfect mix of modern and romantic, staffed by an incredible group of folks who are focused on the quality of your experience. The rooms are beautiful; I loved the intimacy of the "stanza" room with the open shower, inviting bed, romantic lighting and amazing sound system. The linens are extremely high quality and the rooms are spotless. Nightly turndown service is exceptional and I loved having the espresso machine in-room. The location is perfect and valet service is very convenient. Perfect for a romantic stay.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Burbank, California
Reviewed August 17, 2011

I went there on the weekend of the 5th. The staff was incredibly nice and accomodating. The decor of the building and in the room was beautiful. The only problem? Between the hours of 10 p.m. and 3:00 a.m. you won't sleep if you get a room with a street view. We're talking LOUD. Like, radio blasting in your room loud. You can literally feel the vibrations of the music move the furniture. They do provide earplugs for this very reason, but those things are so uncomfortable... at least for me. My husband who normally sleeps through everything agreed that it was pretty bad. That's pretty much the only flaw to this place. Maybe they should invest in soundproofing the windows/rooms?

Room Tip: request an
4 Thank Celeste R
Fontana, California
Reviewed August 10, 2011

Stayed on the 8th & 9th of Aug. 2011 The decor was goddy & uncomfortable. When arriving the music was loud and to trendy. Paid for 2 breakfast on each morning to be delivered by room service. On the 8th, breakfast was 30 or 40 min late causing us to miss the satrt of our tour( luckily the tour company moved ou to the next departure) On the 9th, after waking me at about 7am, to confirm what I had ordered.The breafast never arrived even after I called twice. Dinner at,The Merk,was superbly presented and was delicious. The only objection was the 20%added to the check without my consent. The management refused to adjust the bill for missed meals.Also they charge $32 pre day parking which i wasn't infomed of until I checked in and lastly the noise level from outside was terible. went on till 3 in the morning.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
5 Thank albert c
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed August 3, 2011

The Keating hotel is located in the heart of the Gaslamp Quarter. This is good for those who want easy access to all the pubs/clubs/restaurants/shopping (Horton Plaza). It's a short cab ride to the airport (10 minutes - $10-$15) and within walking distance to the Coronado Ferry, Trolley system (for use around town or to head to Las Americas outlets), USS Midway and other attractions.

The rooms are exactly as described - modern and chic. They use Bang & Olufsen for their audio/entertainment systems and have a great LaVazza espresso machine. The bed is very comfortable. The shower in our room was in the corner of the room and completely open to the room. Obviously this type of hotel is not for anyone who has a problem with that. There is noise from the street during the night/morning so if you are a light sleeper you may want to consider other hotels outside of the Gaslamp Quarter. We were on the 4th floor and it was still a little noisy. We had no problems sleeping through the noise, but I can see why others would.

Each floor had models of cars designed by the company that designed the hotel. The hallways and common areas were kept in great condition. The elevator is slow, however it can be overlooked since it is steam powered and the oldest in San Diego.

We experienced the famous pastries during turndown service and they were a delicious touch. I just wish they had come every night!

Check-in/check-out went smooth and without issue. Be aware you'll pay $3/night for a historical fee.

Overall it's a great hotel and I would not hesitate to stay there again. It's not a family oriented hotel though (because of the shower and such), so if that's your situation you may want to consider elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for higher floors to avoid the noise
2 Thank Trevor-EDM
Manhattan Beach
Reviewed July 27, 2011

My husband and I and our two young adult sons stayed in two rooms across the hall from each other. Concrete floors, open showers and roll-out closets were all very cool. Espresso machines in each room were a nice touch. Bed was comfortable but our sons' room faced the street and was right above a nightclub, which kept them up until about 3:00 a.m. We were there for Comic Con, so the location was terrific. There is definitely a reason they supply earplugs as one of the free amenities in the rooms though.

Room Tip: Ask for an inside room away from the street.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank LSEROTA
SoCal
Reviewed July 20, 2011

My husband and I just returned from our 2 night stay at the Keating, and we loved it! We frequent San Diego about 5-6 times a year and we have our favorite places we usually stay. As a result, I would never have given this place a second look if it weren't for a voucher we purchased from another travel website including 2 nights stay and dinner.
The Keating has a bit of a skeleton crew as far as staff is concerned, but everyone we came across was genuinely nice and interested in showing us a good time. The hotel has a very sleek and modern design, which isn't generally to my taste, but I didn't mind as everything was clean, modern and in proper working condition.
The bed was one of the most comfortable I've slept in in a really long time! The robe and espresso machine in the room was a nice touch. My husband really enjoyed the free wi-fi and dual head, open shower (wink, wink).
The only negatives I can come up with are as follows: (1) The only option you have for parking is valet, a stiff $32 fee per night, ouch! (2) If you plan on going to bed before 3 AM, use the complimentary ear plugs, you'll need them. But, hey, you're in the heart of the gaslamp district...that kinda comes with the territory.
All in all, I would definitely stay again for another romantic retreat :)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dramamama23
California
Reviewed July 19, 2011

Ok, I don't even quite know where to begin. We stayed at the Keating because they said they would accommodate our bachorlette party. I got a separate room from the party because I wanted to sleep that night so I was across the hall from the larger party with 3 in my room. From the minute I got there the room was very uninviting and not comfortable at all. I love modern design and even owned a mid-century home but not a smart idea for a 100 year old building. Who's idea was it not to have carpet in a vintage hotel where the insulation between rooms is terrible and the windows are single pane. No carpet and no drapes equal a very noisy room and boy did I find that out at 6 am in the morning when road construction started and I had earplugs in and it felt the workers were in my bed! I first thought it was trash being picked up but it went on that loud until we checked out. HORRIBLE NOISY ROOMS! I won't even go into the over pretentious design of the rooms and they were not even ergonomically comfortable. The showers are glass with a 3 foot opening (not good for the shy but this wasn't my issue) they were COLD! Between the opening of the glass and the trendy shower head 5ft directly above you it was a very uncomfortable shower.
When we came down the stairs with the bachorlette party they were shushing us as we were leaving the hotel and telling us we better not be loud when we got back from going out, really rude attitudes.
Lastly, we were there for the weekend so my girlfriend who stayed in my room, we both got valet parking ($35 a night btw). When we checked out in the morning we told them we were leaving our cars for the night and they told us it would be a charge for every night and we said fine. Here is the clincher: My girlfriends car doesn't start right away and they thought it was out of gas so they left it in the street. I came back in the middle of the day around 2pm and the valet Joanna told me about it and said it was no problem that the only thing it would be in the street until we picked it up. I said no problem and asked profusely if it was going to be ok in the street, She replied " ya, it will have a Ace sticker in it so no one will bother it" She never mentioned , not once, that it had to be picked up by 5pm. I never asked because I told the front desk we were leaving our cars another night to stay with friends.
Well, 10:30pm rolls around and thats when they decide to call me to tell me they are towing my friends car away in 30 minutes or less. At this point I was in bed and did not get the phone call so my friends car did get towed away. Are you kidding me, we leave a car for valet and it gets towed away by the HOTEL! Why didn't they start calling me at 5pm when I was awake and I could move it but they waited until we were both asleep miles away.
The next day we went back to the hotel and Joanna told me that she told me it had to be picked up by 5pm and this is not true at all. I had another friend with me and both of us know she did not tell us it had to be picked up by 5pm. Well, here is the REAL KICKER! We picked the car up from the tow yard and the tow guy was like, "this car's not out of gas, I drove it off the truck" Are you kidding me. We paid our $315 and she proceeded to drive it a few blocks away to a gas station. It was low but NOT out of gas.
Of course no one immediately at the premises of the hotel could help me so I had to call on Monday to talk with Christos Brooks. He wasn't there so I left a message explaining the whole thing. Christos NEVER called me back so I had to call him back again the next day. He told me that he was aware of the story and that we were terrible guest and we smoked in the room (which btw I did leave the room for a bit and I think someones smoked in my bathroom so I did not complain the next morning and quietly paid the $200 fee) and we did not deserve any compensation and we were terrible guest and he was not going to do anything about it and we could take it up in court if we wanted.
All I can say is this hotel did everything wrong, from the badly designed rooms, poor customer service and then the manager didn't even return my call to hear what I had to say the next day. Bad business all the way around and I would not recommend this hotel to anyone even if you have a coupon for 50% off, go stay at Motel 6, I think you will get a better night of sleep and its probably decorated more comfortable. A big thumbs down.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends