“The Keating experience” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #112 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“The Keating experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2011

The Keating Hotel needs to be experienced. My stay in April was delightful. It has nostalgia and history along with amenities of today. It plays with the senses with it's contemporary decor combined within the structure built in the 1800's. One gets a little glimpse into the past while being in the pulse of the Gaslamp District of downtown San Diego.

As a single female, I felt safe. Everything I took in during my stay was within walking distance, so I had no need for a vehicle. There was always someone at the front desk to greet me when I came and went.

After having the delectable treat which was left each evening on the nightstand and before crawling into a luxuriously made up bed, I opened the windows and the drone from all the activity and outdoor patrons at the many restaurants and bars provided a wonderful white noise to fall sound asleep to.

In the morning if you chose to sleep late, the darkening shades did a superb job of keeping the room dark. Otherwise the shades could be pulled up to let the sun's rays come pouring through the windows into the room.

One word of caution...if you decide to use the Jacuzzi tub, make sure the water in the tub is filled to cover the top jet nozzles...otherwise it provides a fountain of arching streams of water crisscrossing each other and shooting out into the room!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank Calli95

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2011

Checked into the hotel on a Monday and the staff were extremely happy to see us. The hotel check in might be bright red, but it was extremely efficient and friendly. The cold water fountain with lemon and strawberries was a nice touch. We were upgraded straight away and enjoyed the Penthouse. Awesome shower, super comfy bed, and one of the nicest pillows I've ever slept on. Turnover was a delight, as was the little cookies.
Would highly recommend to anyone who enjoys a stylish stay and wants to be in the middle of San Diego. Only disappointment - the elevator! It's the oldest in San Diego and takes a while to get to the top. But it's historic so we'll forgive it...
A must stay in SD.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank ehben36
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2011

We stayed in the Imperiale suite and the first thing I noticed about the place was the Jacuzzi tub and the Bang & Olufson sound system. The Jacuzzi tub is really nice and the changing lights added a nice touch. It took me a while to understand the working of the sound system and I am a tech capable person. One problem is that they should wire up the entire system - living room and bedroom together, so one can play music throughout the suite. You cannot also play a dvd in the bedroom but the on demand movies make that redundant to a certain extent. One suggestion to the hotel would be to provide a written manual next to the sound system so that guests understand how to operate it!

Front desk was extremely helpful and even showed us to our room and offered to help with everything. They were also quick in addressing any issues. When we mentioned we were celebrating graduation, we were sent a card congratulating us with our complimentary champagne. This was a truly personal touch and I really appreciated that.

The bathroom showers are heavenly but it is open and transparent so might not be appropriate for non-partners. The toilets have one sliding door so that can be uncomfortable to some travelers in groups.

The bed was really comfortable and with the music allowed me to sleep at night. Be warned about the noise though. I was duly informed that the noise can get a bit loud. But blame it on Friday night and the reveling San Diego clubbers, it was a bit too loud.

Had fun going up and down the oldest (and possibly slowest :-)) elevator in town. The decor is rich, the suite nicely spaced out. Expresso machine is good, in room bar is well stocked. The hotel mascot Smudge is such a cutie, had fun playing ball with her. The hotel restaurant Merk lived up to our expectations despite reviews to the contrary. We took the suggestions of the server and were quite satisfied with the food and the decor. Valet parking is expensive but expected, but the Horton parking lot is right across the road so you can say a few bucks on that (I was lazy!)

All in all, this place is a great experience. It is possibly one of the most convenient locations in downtown. Get your ear plugs, a few nice swigs of champagne, hit the Jacuzzi for a while and you should be fine!

Room Tip: Imperiale Suite
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Mos01
San Jose, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2011

I stayed here for 2 nights with my girlfriends. Standard room had 2 double beds, see through shower with no door and concrete floors. (Felt a little like a very modern, tricked out dorm room). This was ok for us, but I wouldn't want to stay here with someone I wasn't really comfortable with.
The staff here was awesome. Super nice at the front desk, they couldn't be more helpful with dinner and bar recommendations, and getting us taxis.
The magic bars at turndown time were also a nice touch.
We were here for a weekend of drinking and having fun, so we were not overly bothered by the noise. Like the other reviews say, this hotel is in the middle of all the action -- it is a very very noisy hotel. Lots of noise on the street from the bar scene, and garbage pick up early Sat morning. Ear plugs didn't really help.
I would come back again for the same sort of party weekend. I would not stay here if one had expectations of a restful weekend. I would also try to get a suite/room with king beds.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank happysun16
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2011

This hip restaurant is in a great central location. Room are modernly designed. Only downside is the street can get a little loud.

• Stayed April 2011
2 Thank conorod
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2011

We stayed at the Keating recently and couldn't have been more pleased. Every question we had about directions, things to do and service were offered immediately. They attempted to book a tour, but the tour company was full but they were already prepared with maps, directions and fares. They also called our cabs, got our rental car arranged for us and suggested beaches to visit. The rooms are modern and SWANKY! I loved the open concept, very sensual. The toilet is separate from the rest of the room. Beautiful decor. Little dessert treats on the bed. We stayed on the 4th floor and noise was never an issue. The only negative I could say was the water temperature of the shower never quite got hot enough. Would totally recommend this hotel. I noticed most negative reviews were two years old so they must have improved. Our booking agent also included a $25 gift certificate to Merk, their restaurant and very tasty too.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ColorGuru
La Crosse, Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2011

Why? Because the historic elevator is so loud, kept us up along with the inability to keep the room cool. The shower is in the room so there is NO privacy. I had asked about this when I made our reservation and was assured the bathroom was separate. Our room faced another building and we felt so closed in! The service was fair and the hotel really offers few amenities for the price, the espresso machine and high tech electronics don't make up for it. A small airpot with marginal coffee is inside the front door. My stay was supposed to include a take along breakfast which was never offered....when we asked they tossed a few things in a bag (one day!). The wake up call system was not working properly so we came very close to missing our early am flight.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple