“Chic boutique bang in the middle of the action”

The Keating Hotel by Pininfarina
Ranked #118 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
San Diego, California
“Chic boutique bang in the middle of the action”
Reviewed May 1, 2011

We stayed in the Imperiale suite and the first thing I noticed about the place was the Jacuzzi tub and the Bang & Olufson sound system. The Jacuzzi tub is really nice and the changing lights added a nice touch. It took me a while to understand the working of the sound system and I am a tech capable person. One problem is that they should wire up the entire system - living room and bedroom together, so one can play music throughout the suite. You cannot also play a dvd in the bedroom but the on demand movies make that redundant to a certain extent. One suggestion to the hotel would be to provide a written manual next to the sound system so that guests understand how to operate it!

Front desk was extremely helpful and even showed us to our room and offered to help with everything. They were also quick in addressing any issues. When we mentioned we were celebrating graduation, we were sent a card congratulating us with our complimentary champagne. This was a truly personal touch and I really appreciated that.

The bathroom showers are heavenly but it is open and transparent so might not be appropriate for non-partners. The toilets have one sliding door so that can be uncomfortable to some travelers in groups.

The bed was really comfortable and with the music allowed me to sleep at night. Be warned about the noise though. I was duly informed that the noise can get a bit loud. But blame it on Friday night and the reveling San Diego clubbers, it was a bit too loud.

Had fun going up and down the oldest (and possibly slowest :-)) elevator in town. The decor is rich, the suite nicely spaced out. Expresso machine is good, in room bar is well stocked. The hotel mascot Smudge is such a cutie, had fun playing ball with her. The hotel restaurant Merk lived up to our expectations despite reviews to the contrary. We took the suggestions of the server and were quite satisfied with the food and the decor. Valet parking is expensive but expected, but the Horton parking lot is right across the road so you can say a few bucks on that (I was lazy!)

All in all, this place is a great experience. It is possibly one of the most convenient locations in downtown. Get your ear plugs, a few nice swigs of champagne, hit the Jacuzzi for a while and you should be fine!

Room Tip: Imperiale Suite
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Mos01

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
San Jose, California
Reviewed April 28, 2011

I stayed here for 2 nights with my girlfriends. Standard room had 2 double beds, see through shower with no door and concrete floors. (Felt a little like a very modern, tricked out dorm room). This was ok for us, but I wouldn't want to stay here with someone I wasn't really comfortable with.
The staff here was awesome. Super nice at the front desk, they couldn't be more helpful with dinner and bar recommendations, and getting us taxis.
The magic bars at turndown time were also a nice touch.
We were here for a weekend of drinking and having fun, so we were not overly bothered by the noise. Like the other reviews say, this hotel is in the middle of all the action -- it is a very very noisy hotel. Lots of noise on the street from the bar scene, and garbage pick up early Sat morning. Ear plugs didn't really help.
I would come back again for the same sort of party weekend. I would not stay here if one had expectations of a restful weekend. I would also try to get a suite/room with king beds.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank happysun16
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 25, 2011

This hip restaurant is in a great central location. Room are modernly designed. Only downside is the street can get a little loud.

• Stayed April 2011
2 Thank conorod
Reviewed March 26, 2011

We stayed at the Keating recently and couldn't have been more pleased. Every question we had about directions, things to do and service were offered immediately. They attempted to book a tour, but the tour company was full but they were already prepared with maps, directions and fares. They also called our cabs, got our rental car arranged for us and suggested beaches to visit. The rooms are modern and SWANKY! I loved the open concept, very sensual. The toilet is separate from the rest of the room. Beautiful decor. Little dessert treats on the bed. We stayed on the 4th floor and noise was never an issue. The only negative I could say was the water temperature of the shower never quite got hot enough. Would totally recommend this hotel. I noticed most negative reviews were two years old so they must have improved. Our booking agent also included a $25 gift certificate to Merk, their restaurant and very tasty too.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ColorGuru
La Crosse, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 21, 2011

Why? Because the historic elevator is so loud, kept us up along with the inability to keep the room cool. The shower is in the room so there is NO privacy. I had asked about this when I made our reservation and was assured the bathroom was separate. Our room faced another building and we felt so closed in! The service was fair and the hotel really offers few amenities for the price, the espresso machine and high tech electronics don't make up for it. A small airpot with marginal coffee is inside the front door. My stay was supposed to include a take along breakfast which was never offered....when we asked they tossed a few things in a bag (one day!). The wake up call system was not working properly so we came very close to missing our early am flight.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank JKW7
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 5, 2011

This is a hip and different hotel, for sure. It's decked out in Ferrari red everywhere. The room has industrial concrete floors and no separate bathroom. If you are traveling with a "friend", beware. The shower is in the bedroom, with clear glass.

The front desk service was good, but the valet system is terrible. They park cars in the parking garage of a nearby shopping mall so it takes forever to get your car. And valet parking is NOT cheap.

I would not recommend this hotel for a "vacation" or an extended stay. It would be fun and interesting for a couple of nights, but after that it would get annoying. But it is in the middle of the Gaslamp, so food and drink is on your doorstep. Because of the location, and the reasonable price, I would be back if I needed a place for a night. But I would look elsewhere if I was in town for much more than that.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank bagoda1
San Diego, California
Reviewed February 18, 2011

I live in San Diego so I don't usually stay in San Diego hotels. However, I had the opportunity to view the Keatings rooms when they first opened and I always wanted to pay a visit. Last Friday, my wife and I spent the night at the Keating and had dinner at The Merk (The Keating's restauraunt). The restaurant was fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The hotel was also great. I won't try to describe the rooms. Look at the pictures online at the Keating's website. The rooms are different that any other hotel I have ever seen. There are only 35 rooms in the hotel. The staff knows their guests and treated us very well.

The locatioin in the heart of the Gaslamp was perfect. I know some people have complained of street noise. We did not have any problems with noise.

The next time we need a getaway from the kids, we will return to The Keating.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple