“Great value, convenient location”

Rodeway Inn San Diego Beach SeaWorld Area
Ranked #237 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed February 28, 2012

Went to San Diego for a day trip during President's Day Holiday (Feb 2012) and found it extremely difficult to find a hotel in the downtown/Gaslamp quarter area at an affordable rate. Decided to try Rodeway for 1nt stay (with my husband & 2 teenage boys) because of the affordable rate & proximity to the downtown area (about 5 miles). Upon arrival, I was a little worried because the lot was full, the hotel was sold-out for the night and our room was next to a group of youngsters drinking beer that appears to be ready to party. I braced myself for the worse but was pleasantly surprised! We had a quiet night and slept comfortably. The room was nice and clean with a flat screen tv, mini-fridge, microwave, coffee maker & free wi-fi. Did I mention that the parking is free compared to the downtown hotels that charge $16-$30/nt? The complimentary breakfast was basic - pastries, cereal, coffee, etc. My only complaint was that it did get noisy in the morning when people were packing, getting ready to check out, and talking to each other through open rooms. I also didn't like that you had to go the front desk for a hair dryer & iron. Nevertheless, the front desk attendant was always friendly & accommodating to all my requests & even provided a complimentary toothbrush & additional toiletries without any hesitation! This Rodeway is not a high end hotel but it's a decent place to stay at a reasonable rate and is conveniently located with easy access to the I-5. Will stay there again.

Room Tip: This place has a 2-story building as well as free standing rooms. Not sure if the free standing roo...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Justine1976
There are newer reviews for Rodeway Inn San Diego Beach SeaWorld Area

Reviewed January 30, 2012

We stayed for four days here and were delighted with this place. Queen bed, coffee making facilities, fridge and microwave. Nice clean bathroom and room was great. The value was excellent being in a good location. Loved the staff here - they were at all times helpful and fun to talk too. Breakfast was good and plenty was provided - yoghurt, waffles, muffins, fresh fruit, danishes and buns, coffee and tea and good orange juice. What more could you want?

Our only reason for not supplying an 'Excellent' was the water pressure. Running around trying to get wet was a pain but really not anything they can fix. Really this place is great and we would recommend.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 26, 2012

Easy to get to when visiting the general area. Several one story rooms. Heat wasn't very good but received an extra blanket. Price was right. Breakfast just fine. Simple, clean and convenient.

Room Tip: Ask for a room without anyone above you.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 31, 2011

AAA rate ws awesome. Great amenities including free breakfast, 24hr coffee in lobby, fridge micro, free parking in SD. Very friendly & helpful front desk & maintenance staff. .3 miles from mission bay. Would like better lighting in room & shower ws weak but all forgiveable considering excellent price.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed December 30, 2011

I've been lured to horrible hotels by good prices before but, this had to be the worst experience I've had. We got into the hotel about 3 a.m. and were absolutely exhausted. The guy at the check in was pretty cool. He didn't charge us for the pet we had and got us set up quickly. Not a bad experience. The rooms were a different story. The rooms were nowhere near the size they looked on the website. The bathroom was minuscule with barely any light reaching into the shower. Unfortunately, the heat in my room refused to work, so I was forced to room with my friend. Because she had a pet, we had to get her a pet friendly room which just meant that she had freezing cold stone floors. It took forever for the heat to come on but it finally did. The only thing I liked about the rooms was that they had nice flat screen t.v.s. But even this weren't great due to the fact that they a satellite t.v. and the channels were constantly cutting out. The free internet wasn't too bad. The next morning, I go back to my room to shower and get dressed and guess what I find on my suitcase? A roach. I was completely disgusted. I went through my entire bag, re-packed it, and went back to the other room. I was ready to go, but my friend felt that, because of the time it would have been impossible to find and move to another hotel and still make it to our engagement on time. Instead I went to the front desk to check out of that room. I explained the situation to the young lady and informed her that instead of just leaving that I did not want to pay for the room I didn't even sleep in. She was very uncaring and unwilling to until I asked to speak to a manger. Instead of the manager coming but to speak to me, she went in to speak to him. She came back and told me that she could take 10% off of the room. Are you kidding me?? I flat out told her no and that that wouldn't do. She tried to tell me that that would be fair instead of charging me another day. I asked why they would be charging me another day if it wasn't even check out time, yet? Instead of answering my question, she went back into the office to speak to her manager. She came back and told me the best that they could do was charge me $35 for the night for occupying through room. I wasn't going to argue the fact that they wouldn't have rented the room, anyway, considering we didn't even show up until 3 a.m., but we had to hurry on our way. Later that day, we had the pleasure of witnessing the police answer a domestic dispute 4 doors down from us, got yelled at by one of the hotels many long-term guests (tenants) about my friends service dog and about how he has to clean up after all of the dogs, and we were locked out of our room on three separate occasions, one of the times being so they could inform us that "one if the guests" had complained about our dog. All-in-all, just a horrible place to stay. Use my experience and, PLEASE, save yourself!

• Stayed: December 2011
5  Thank Tiffster87
Reviewed December 22, 2011

We stayed at the Rodeway Inn in Pacific Beach (San Diego) for three nights in June 2011. I was a little hesitant when I first read the reviews online, but then the more recent reviews were quiet good so I went for it. We arrived at 3 AM and were checked in promptly. The room was quite nice and had clearly been remodeled recently. The only draw back was that there was no bathtub, and we had a 7 month old baby, so it was a little challenging to bath her. They had a pack and play ready for us when we arrived (even though it was 3 AM) and had even provided extra wash cloths and towels as I had requested when I made our reservation. The Roadway Inn was close enough to my grandparents' home (they live right on the beach) and other fun things to do, and was definitely quite nice for the price. The breakfast was adequate but I would have like to have seen more protein available like hardboiled eggs or something like that. Overall it was a nice place to stay to visit my grandfather for his 90th birthday, and it fit our budget. We would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a bathtub if you're traveling with small children.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 20, 2011

This hotel is in a great location. Sea World is a very short drive and freeway access to the rest of San Diego is even closer.
We stayed overnight for an event and the place wasn't bad at all. It was small but considering we were only sleeping there and not vacationing IN the room it was tolerable. The shower was about the size of a small studio apartment shower, my husband who is 6'2 fit with little trouble. The staff was nice and the place was clean and obviously recently renovated. The only thing I didn't really like was the air conditioner at the top of the closet space. I had to get a chair to adjust it and then I don't think it worked too well. We just opened the doors and took advantage of the cool breeze anyway but I tend not to get to bent out of shape with things like that.
The breakfast was basic, pastries, bagels, juice and a coffee machine. That actually was pretty nice, to be able to walk over to the office and get a hot mocha before heading out for the day.

Overall it was nice and I'd have no problem staying there again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends