“self catering option but beware the timeshare” 3 of 5 stars

Wyndham Harbour Lights
Ranked #124 of 281 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Melbourne, Australia
“self catering option but beware the timeshare”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Stayed here for a conference at the convention centre. A little bit far to walk for my liking (15-20min) but I had booked late and closer hotels were full. It is in the gas lamp quarter so many bars, cafes, pubs and restaurants near by.

The rooms are very large with a small kitchenette and fridge. There was even a couch and desk. The decor is a little faded and tired but the rooms are clean.

The most annoying thing was that the staff are obligated to try and sell you their time share, vacation home product.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank travellingurolfellow

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

This is a first class resort in the Gaslamp District which means that there are lots of restaurants and shopping close by. The decor is current and the studio unit is quite large with one queen bed and a pull out couch, mini-kitchen, table and chairs. It was much larger than I had thought. I was concerned that there were ear plugs on the nightstand but noise was never an issue. I am a Wyndham Vacation Club owner and this resort lives up to the standards that I expect from any Wyndham resort. I used the exercise room which was clean and well-equipped. There were issues with the elevator while we were there which is why I didn't give it an excellent rating. The concierge was of limited help. I found out more about the restaurants and activities in the area on my own. Overall, I plan to return to San Diego and stay at the Wyndham Harbour Lights.

3 Thank croatianwife
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Tip: Read carefully the "no cancellation fee" policies on various booking websites. We booked this place as a contingency, and found ourselves locked in when they charged our credit card three weeks in advance! (Earliest "lock-in" I've ever seen.)

When we got there, we found a nice enough place, with pleasant staff. Room was fairly large, which was good as we needed to open up the couch into a folding bed. It was a "studio" so there was a microwave and table/chairs. We stayed four nights and the place was never serviced -- so it is really a timeshare and for sure not a five-star hotel. And after four days it started to feel pretty one-star. The valet parking is expensive ($30 per day). The location is very good, right at one end of the gaslamp district. We didn't find the timeshare sales pitch annoying, because we politely declined all their invitations to discuss, noting that we don't live in the USA and would never have use for a timeshare.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the rear, as they are quieter.
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank HK_Observer
Rohnert Park, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I was very skeptical about staying at this hotel because most reviews talk about how noisy it is, but we were in the area and I needed to use up my timeshares points so we took a chance.

We had a studio and was pleasantly surprised. It was very spacious, clean, and even had a small kitchen. The kitchen didn't have an oven but it had a full refrigerator, cook top, microwave, full utensils, and cooking supplies.

I only rated it 3 stars because I have two teenage boys and there was absolutely nothing for them to do, not only that but I think the $30/day parking fee is ridiculous. They do give you some other options for parking but I wasn't sure how safe it was.

The Melting Pot is right next door to this resort and it was our first time there. If you are eating out you definitely need to go there, it is soooooo good!

This is a nice hotel overall but it's better for couples, not for families.

4 Thank girlslovesportstoo
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

This resort has excellent: location, amenities and service. Our end unit was on back of resort and was fully equipped (no oven) but it was also a larger studio. It is our plan to stay at this resort every time we visit San Diego since transportation, shopping, entertainment and restaurants are outside our front door. There is a great gym, steam room and sauna in the lower level. They also offer daily complimentary treats like coffee/pastries, pizza luncheon and ice cream social. Great vacation experience!!!!!!

Room Tip: Request end unit.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Naomi608
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

The hotel is downtown and close to everything. It is walking to distance to a lot of things and very close to the bus line. If you got a car, expect to pay over $30 a night so we opted out getting a car. The hotel was really nice. It was clean and comfortable. I was told it was noisy but I didn’t hear any noise from the other rooms. I heard a little outside noise but it wasn’t much. We had a full kitchen. The hotel also has a gym. My only complaints are the lack of amenities (pool, restaurant, etc.) and the pushy sales people in the lobby. The sales representatives were pushy and unfriendly. The other hotel staff (cleaning, front desk, host, valet, etc.) was all really nice. Had I not listen to the sales pitch, it would’ve been almost perfect. However, I got zoo tickets out of it. They said it would take 45 minutes but it took us 2 hours of me telling them no and them trying to convince me to upgrade. Our sale rep was nice, but his additional help from a manager and another sales rep really got on my nerves.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Shay W
Garden Grove, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

So I just spent 4 nights here (Monday-Friday) and it was a great little hotel. I am a Wyndham vacation owner, so I've come to expect things from staying at their properties. I'm actually writing this revie while sitting at another property on vacation. =) I stayed at this resort as I just came back from overseas and am currently bouncing timeshare to timeshare to stay close to work until I move out of the area. Here are the pros and cons.

Pros:
Great location - on Fifth Avenue within walking distance to just about everything and anything downtown. Horton Plaza is one block west, Petco Park is less than a mile away. Restaurants, bars, shopping malls, grocery stores, you name it, you'll probably find it.
Very friendly staff - check in was easy and the doormen greeted you every time you came and went.
Nicely decorated clean rooms - my room had a small kitchenette with 2 burners (no oven), a full sized refrigerator, dishwasher, bath, a dining table for two, and couch. Drawers were well stocked, they had a bottle opener for my bottle of wine. They left me a laundry basket in the closet and I had more towels than I knew what to do with them.
Laundry facilities available in the basement if you need - I didn't wash my clothes this trip so I can't say much about the machines.
They offered different things during the week, pizza sampling, cookies. They had sweet tea in the afternoon at the front desk and a popcorn machine in the lobby as well.
Free Wifi - major plus. Most places have it, but every now and then, I run into that one location that doesn't give me internet access for free.

Cons:
EXPENSIVE parking - It's $31 a day with in and out privileges. I just parked in the ACE lot to the back of the hotel if I couldn't find street parking. It was $15 for 10 hours. Street parking is free after 6pm, but you need to pay attention to what day they do street sweeping.
Loud street noise - Okay, this is downtown San Diego, a place lined with bars and night clubs. The noise is expected. I put it in the Cons section so you would know just in case you were looking for a place for peace and quiet. I could definitely hear the folks on the street hooting and hollering, but it didn't bother me. I was there for the location and atmosphere.
The view - Everyday I looked out my window, I got the view of the parking lot and Hustler store. I had a room on the back side of the hotel towards 6th Ave. I know, you really can't pick what you look at, but I'm just letting you know you will see the neon lights of the Hustler store if you are not on the 5th Ave side.

Overall, I enjoyed this hotel. Minus the washer and dryer I'm used to having in my room when I stay at their regular vacation resorts, this was very nice. If you're staying here, it's because of the location. I did not have any experience with the pushy timeshare folks as I was only home from 4pm-6am. I guess that was the plus about having to be at work all day.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the higher floors so you won't have as much noise.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo