“A taste of Paris”

Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Adorable Jewel box of a Cafe, serving Brunch, Happy Hour, and Dinner daily. A bit of Paris for the Locals!
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Adorable french cafe at what feels like the edge of the gaslamp district in San Diego. This is a good thing because gaslamp is hectic and this location suddenly feels like a neighborhood gem...all the difference two blocks can make. When we visited, we had the extreme fortune to take advantage of a restaurant week 3-course prix fix menu. We sat outside in true parisian cafe fashion. The food was phenomenal. The wine selection was terrific. The prices were reasonable. One of the best french meals I've had in a while, but I was in Paris less than a year prior so perhaps I was a bit nostalgic. I loved everything about the place and will be back next year when I return to San Diego for the annual conference.

1  Thank Sara M
There are newer reviews for Cafe Chloe

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Adequate ambience and foods, though I personally wish that one can get some dishes with meat, beyond sausage/bacon and other processed meats. Can be a bit crowded.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

Nice small restaurant in the nearby GasLamp district.
Excellent food, nothing fancy, just good! The Steak and Frites are recommended. Attentive staff and good wine options.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

I had my second visit to Cafe Chloe last night and fell in love again with this place. This is a small neighborhood restaurant that has tiny tables and only serves beer/wine. Talking to our waitress she mentioned that the kitchen is also very small which limits the selection. (They had to pull a salad off the nights menu that includes a poached egg as the line didn't have room for a poacher, etc.). They also do not take reservations (which is my only real complaint here) so get here early if you'd like a table. Also, looking around, Cafe Chloe would be a hard place to visit with a larger group as I didn't notice any tables that seat > 4 and they are all round - but I believe they do reservations for parties over 5.

That all aside, the food and service is tres magnifique! Like our first visit we ordered a bottle of wine (they have a small and affordable selection of french wines) and the cheese plate. It comes out on a wooden stand with accompaniments - really nice. Then we had an amazing soup (rich and creamy butternut squash soup with some type of bacon infusion) I like that we received small soup spoons - it "felt french" and forced me to eat slower and savor the deliciousness of the soup.

For entrees we split a grouper special which if memory serves included a red wine reduction of some type with the fish (perfectly cooked and with a bit of crispy skin) sat on a creamy puree of parsnips. Completely delicious and the food came out hot.

We were too full for dessert but last time we sampled the salted carmel ice cream which they make in-house and it was incredibly delicious and had as sophisticated a flavor a scoop of ice cream can have.

Highly recommended but get there early - there are a couple of cool tables for 2 inside on the small loft area in the back - I'd like to try and sit there on my next visit.

1  Thank DonFTL
Reviewed February 23, 2013

There seemed to be a lot of hype online about the place, and I might have read too much. I was expecting to be blown away but wasn't. But it was good enough that we ate there twice in a few days. Good food. I think I preferred the brunch to the dinner.