“San Diego and all the comforts of home!”

Hillcrest House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 34 San Diego B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Me and my 13 year significant other wanted to get away for his birthday. We searched for a bed and breakfast and we found this great one! We stayed for two nights in the Old Town Suite, this room comes with with your own private patio, comfortable bed, TV, WiFi, private patio, spacious full bathroom, walk-in closet space, free heathy breakfast with great conversation at the dinning room table. The house was warm and inviting from the moment we walked in and spoke with the housekeeper. The entire house is extremely clean and Ann the Innkeeper is genuinely wonderful with all her guests and extremely knowledgable with the area. This is your place to stay if you are going to visit San Diego!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hillcrest House Bed & Breakfast

Reviewed December 17, 2013

We were in San Diego for a family emergency for three weeks. Ann and her trusty assistant, Shannon, took excellent care of us. We felt there was true compassion and care. We stayed first at the B&B and later moved to the vacation rental. The vacation rental is a divine two-bedroom bungalow with a terrific kitchen. We spent a lot of time cooking soothing meals, one of which was Thanksgiving supper. We highly recommend this property and this innkeeper to potential guests. Thanks so much Ann!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank WillyBiba
Reviewed November 26, 2013

We had a wonderful time in San Diego. Forgot our GPS but Ann's directions saved the day. She was full of great information on restaurants and things to do. The location was central and full of shops and restaurants. The room was great, the bed was super comfortable and Ann made us feel right at home. We would love to go back and visit. We highly recommend the Hillcrest House to anyone visiting the SD area but book early. She's very busy and not just during high season.

Room Tip: We stayed in Balboa room which was in a guest house on the property. The room was very quiet and no...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cathy W
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights in the Gaslamp Room. Firstly, we made arrangements as we would be coming in after 6 p.m. - ended up arriving just after 6 and Shannon was still there - she stayed just to show us around and explain everything - very friendly and helpful. Ann was not around as she was on holidays but we had a wonderful gentleman Don taking care of us - he was so nice and helpful and nothing was a problem for him - he really knows how to treat and take care of the customers - I loved talking with him. Our room was very nice and super clean - it is the smallest room, but we were not in it much other than to sleep. I only have 2 negatives to say about the room - 1: there is no fridge in the room, it would be nice to have a fridge so you can put some cold drinks in, there is a small bar fridge which all guests can use in the dining room. 2: the was the toilet is positioned it very awkward to use, you kind of have to sit sideways otherwise you will hit the sink. I`m not a big person and I found it difficult. Bed was sooooo comfy and the sheets very soft - had a great sleep after a day of sightseeing. The B&B location is perfect, just around the corner and walk a couple of blocks you are in the hub of many great restaurants and
bars. We walked down to the Gas Lamp district, it`s a bit of walk but you got see the area which is kind of dumpy - we were disappointed. We also walked to Balboa park. Don`t miss going to the Old Town - many great places to eat and drink at - we went twice - first time there they had the main street blocked off for a car show, live band and lots of vendor, it`s about a $25 taxi ride one way. I was nice to sit on the front porch after a day of sightseeing having a cold one and talking with other guests. The Hillcrest is a lovey place to stay - we hope to be back again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Ann and Hillcrest House lived up to their stellar reputations. The rooms are charming and Ann has thought out all the practical details, from the lighting on the stairs, the outlet strip under the desk, the late-night check-in, to the early breakfast to go. It's a great neighborhood, with an array of interesting shops and restaurants, and easy access to public transportation. Ann made me feel at home and wrote out perfect directions for every place I wanted to go. All things considered, I think it's a bargain!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 13, 2013

This was our first stay at Hillcrest House B&B and we will definitely be back! When I was calling around to other B&B's one of the innkeepers told me to call Hillcrest as she had heard there was one opening. We got it!

We love how warm and cozy everything was. Ann, the innkeeper was welcoming and it felt like we already knew her. I loved the porch and other "living room" settings where we could hang out. I did some watercoloring on the back porch -- relaxing and quiet.

Also love how we were within walking distance to the delicious restaurants and shops.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I recently returned from another stay at Hillcrest House in San Diego and again feel I made a great lodging choice. The main reason for my Excellent rating is due to the high quality of personal service provided by Ann. Case in point, during my most recent stay, I found that there was an issue with the dead bolt on my room door. I informed Ann of the situation, went out for a morning walk, and within an hour, she texted me to let me know the lock had been repaired. In another situation, a fellow B&B guest who came from outside the United States, inadvertently found himself across the border in Tijuana Mexico without his passport. He contacted Ann and she retrieved his passport and took it to the border to help expedite him getting back into the country. Ann is always up-to-date on everything happening in the Hillcrest area and the San Diego region in general. The location of her B&B is perfect in my opinion, so close to the bustling Hillcrest area and a comfortable walk to Balboa Park, but still in a refreshingly quiet neighborhood. Breakfast is not the traditional B&B fare one might expect, (no made-to-order or hot breakfasts are served), but rather a simpler offering of a couple of cold cereal choices, some fresh fruit, toast and mini muffins. Delicious coffee and orange juice are also provided. The variety of guests during my visit was very nice, and the conversations around the breakfast table were always enlightening and enjoyable. San Diego is traditionally a very expensive city for lodging, and Ann's rates, while they may seem high at first glance, do include parking if needed, a very convenient location, a comfortable sitting area in the main house outfitted with a lap top and printer, very fast and reliable WiFi, clean and nicely outfitted accommodations and very comfortable beds. If traveling to San Diego for business or pleasure, you should definitely give Hillcrest House a try.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo