“The best of the best in all San Diego!”

Jimmy Carter's Mexican Cafe
Ranked #225 of 5,165 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 16, 2014

I can highly recommend this great restaurant , As a traveled San Diegan Mexican I go to all the Mexican restaurants in all county and I can say that this is the best , the flavors, dishes, ambiance,and best service in town! I can compare it to the best Mexican restaurants in Mexico!
I hope you all can have the opportunity to taste this place!

1  Thank Jonesnathan

Reviewed February 24, 2014

Hole in the wall type place with excellent breakfast menu...did not care much for the salsas....good service

2  Thank HWWhiteside
Reviewed February 10, 2014

This Hillcrest eatery would be getting 5 stars if it weren't for the poor service we have received there. My husband and I normally allow for "bad days" where this is concerned but we have been there for breakfast many times and the wait staff has been friendly and welcoming but once. The service is always very slow. It is a seat yourself situation and there is always confusion as to whose table belongs to what server so frequently your presence is not even acknowledged for a while. A friendly nod and a "be right with you" would at least reassure the customer. It was very obvious that other customers were upset too, one commenting to the server that no one had said anything to them let alone brought menus since they came in 10 minutes before. The worst offenders seem to be the staff that have been there the longest, and couples and families seem to fare the worst as well. We have also been there for dinner often and service is better then but still not friendly. The saving grace is their food which is excellent. The green salsa is my favorite as I like it hot, and the corned beef hash and carnitas scramble are super. Their hash browns are always done perfectly as well. For dinner you can't beat the carnitas enchiladas with Tlaquepaque sauce. Really good. All said and done if you can get past the poor service for certain customer types, the food is worth a try.

1  Thank Sharon S
Reviewed February 3, 2014

If you're looking for fancy Mexican food this is not the place for you. But if you want a basic, home cooking place with some interesting options, head over to Jimmy's. Has no relation to the former president; not sure about the name, but it doesn't affect the menu or atmosphere. It's located a block from Balboa Park, with only street parking that isn't bad. Service is efficient, dishes come hot and well prepared. If you can, go early, before the dinner hour as it gets busy and fills up quickly. If you do have a wait it generally isn't long, particularly if it's a party of two. I particularly like their corn-filled tamal. Also they serve a wide variety of sauces and willingness to switch out sauces according to your preference. My fave is the red guajillo. Has some decent kick to it. The tlaquepague, cream chipotle and mole are also outstanding.

1  Thank Jeffree I
Reviewed January 28, 2014 via mobile

My experience at Jimmy's was fabulous. Their Margaritas are nice and strong with just the right amount of kick. My taco salad was delicious and had chopped cilantro mixed in the pico (yummy!). The only thing I wasn't a fan of was the salsa selection: the salsa verde was a little too hot for my liking and the other salsa offering was too mild; I found myself wanting a medium option. However, all the friendly staff made up for this one negative.