“European Style” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #74 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Yuma
“European Style”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

Many reviews say the rooms are small, but only compared to the large chain hotels. We found the room to be very comfortable and the staff to be outstanding. While the parking is off-site, you can use the San Diego Trolley, (three blocks away), to reach most places in the area.

We travel to San Diego on a fairly regular basis to run in races; we looking forward to this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
frankf541, Public Relations Manager at Urban Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Awesome! Thank you so much.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Hebrew first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I loved this hotel, it is in the middle of little Italy. We were able to get the corner room at the back of the hotel looking over san diego bay, beautiful view. The only thing that was an inconvenience was not enough soap snd shampoo, other then that great service, clean, they accommodate all of our needs, and friendly. Great price!

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
"cute and cozy"!!! I like it.... Thank you for your kind words.
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2014

I needed to go to San Diego on one day's notice for business. With such short notice, I could not get a dog sitter either. Yet the last minute factor lead me to one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in in San Diego.
I ran across Urban Boutique Hotel on a web-travel site, and they had availability. As I always do, I contacted the hotel directly, and asked if they would match the rate I had found on the bargain site (I advise this to everyone, as it is always better to make hotel arrangements directly with the hotelier if possible). They were very agreeable, and they took pets, so it seemed a great fit.
Located in an area of San Diego called 'Little Italy', a gentrified area just north of downtown, it is sited on a series of gentle hills, and wonderful San Diego Bay views, a few short minutes off the freeway. The neighborhood is filled with wonderful dining options, from the torn-jeans and T-shirt realm to well appointed dinner houses.....and some of the best Italian food I've ever had outside of Italy. Well within a 30 minute walking distance is The Gaslamp District, with more great restaurants than can be described, PetCo field where concerts and sport events are held, The Convention Center, the train station and the bay. Its location is really hard to beat for first time San Diego travelers, or those who are regular visitors. It is also adjacent to the local rail public transportation station, which makes getting all around the city to its many attractions a perfect place to stay.
Unbeknownst to me, my arrival on a Saturday afternoon put me right in the middle of a large farmers market/craft fair/ street performance right on the hotels main entry. Parking was challenging to say the least, but when I pulled up to their loading zone, they were most hospitable, and let me drop off my luggage, and dog paraphernalia (which is quite a bit for a big Labrador Retriever) as I arrived before check in time. As a word to anyone arriving on a Saturday, the surrounding pay parking lots charge exorbitant rates due to the popularity of the Little Italy event. Street parking is available, but it is VERY limited during the street event hours.
Check-in was a breeze, and the front desk staff could not have been friendlier or more solicitous in my exchanges with them.The hotels pet rooms are located on the polished concrete ground floor. This is a very smart policy of theirs not only for ease of pets stays, but also that dogs do not have to use the lift to gain access to upper floors (note to non-dog owners; they hate elevators with their moving floors!)
The standard size room I occupied was a wheel-chair accessible one, and suffice it to say, the bathroom shower was large, and easy to get in and out of. In fact, the floor of the shower was actually the floor of the bathroom with a drain. The sink area was nicely appointed, and fronted a closet area with ironing board, and mini-kitchen with frige, microwave and counter space. The room had a superb air conditioner, as well as a very comfortable bed. It was a tight fit as far as space on either side. I did not expect much of a view on the ground floor with the adjacent building at the property line, so there was not disappointment in that regard.
They offer chilled drinks and coffee all day in the community kitchen where complimentary breakfast is served each morning. There is a nice assortment of items, ranging from the healthy to the indulgent (you are on vacation after all, so splurge!). They offer very reasonable bike rental rates on $10.00 p/day, as well as free airport shuttle (about 5 minutes away). I had the opportunity to chat with other hotel guests, and they all seemed to share my sentiments that this little gem in San Diego offers the many amenities, great location, and excellent service often found at more pricier locations in the city.

Room Tip: If you are seeking a view, make sure to request an upper floor on the north side of the building. Th...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much. We appreciate the details of your review. I am so happy you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you again.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

Overall we found the location and value to be very good. Rooms are updated and clean. They are not spacious, however we found it comfortable for our needs. We had comfortable king bed with good linens, one chair, large flat screen TV, mini fridge and coffee maker, safe and closet. Sink is separate from toilette & shower room. This worked for us. We had enough room for 2 bags of luggage and some camera gear. It was our base for exploring the city for a few days, and location is central within walking distance of many areas and attractions. Airport is 15 min by shuttle which was included in our booking fees (airport to hotel). Little Italy and several interesting restaurants and pubs are within minutes. Naval museum and Gaslamp district are easy 15 min walk (more or less opposite directions) and $7 cab ride to Seaport Village area. Hotel staff were friendly, helpful, and attentive. Overall facility was clean and well cared for, and morning continental buffet breakfast area was well stocked with fresh products. Good free wireless internet connection available in rooms. I would say good value for business or vacation travel. Only challenge would be working in room (there is a business center though) or someone who would want to spend much time in the room (especially more than one person). We would definitely come back.

1 Thank WisdomExchangeTV
frankf541, Public Relations Manager at Urban Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
WOW! amazing review from a TOP reviewer. We really appreciate your detailed review. A small hotel like ours depends on the kind words of our happy guests and the time you spent to say nice things about us is greatly appreciated.
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2014

Urban Boutique Hotel is a gem of a place! The staff was very helpful throughout our entire stay. The rooms were clean and well kept, with all of the amenities you would expect from a larger hotel chain. Free wifi in the room and the business center was a bonus when I had to get some work done during our stay, along with the fantastic breakfast spread available each morning. The location is perfect and within walking distance to all of the great restaurants in Little Italy. Only minuets from Gaslamp district, Downtown and the USS Midway. They also offer cruiser bike rentals only $10 per day which was a great way to get out and view the city. Parking is always a chore but the hotel staff was able to guide us to the best options within the area. We will certainly be going back to the Urban Boutique Hotel the next time we are in San Diego.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
frankf541, Public Relations Manager at Urban Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Thank you for that nice review. A small boutique hotel like ours depends on happy guests sharing positive reviews about there stay. We truly appreciate your review.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2014

This hotel is right in Little Italy which has some great bars and restaurants (recommend the Devanti Enoteca round the corner for Italian food). It's a short stroll to the tram which will take you up to the Old Town, or down to the Gas Lamp quarter. Cabs back from the Gas Lamp are $10 or you could walk it in about 20 minutes. It's also close to the Maritime museum.

The room itself was nice and big, the bed was small by American standards but even so we slept comfortably as a couple. After reading reviews on here i asked for a quiet room to try and avoid the church bells, but you could still here them. It wasn't actually that bad, it only goes off for a few seconds on the hour from 7am.

The service here was friendly and helpful. The breakfast was great with fresh fruit, granola, yoghurts, toast and jams.

There's no parking but there is a public car park on the corner that you can use, it's $12 for 12 hours or $30 for 24. We got a fine as our 12 hours expired when we were out and forgot about it.

The not so great part - loud housekeeping first thing in the morning. We had to ask them to be quiet. Also the air con was incredibly loud so you can't sleep with it on.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank 953AlexC
frankf541, Public Relations Manager at Urban Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Thank you very much for such a nice detailed review. It sounds like you really had a good time. I am going to speak with the housekeeping staff about the early morning chatting in the hallways. Thanks for the feedback.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2014

Ignore the reviews of others the room looks like a dirty dorm rooms. When I went downstairs to talk to the front desk Nadine said they were sold out so they would not refund my room which we booked through expedia. I told her the room and bed were dirty and smelt she said maybe the GM would be in tomorrow but her policy is she would not refund me. She also informed me no management but her was working. In hospitality the customer should be right if your trying to shove someone in a dirty place you should not be in business. Horrible staff and dirty end of story, you get what you pay for spend the extra money to stay somewhere clean.

• Stayed June 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations. We try very hard to make everyone's stay a good one. We did have housekeeping double check your room after your complaint and we found the room to be clean. Again, we apologize we did not meet your expectations.