“Not worth the price”

Ranked #7 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
South Plainfield, New Jersey
“Not worth the price”
Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

Great location, comfy beds and purrrrrrrfect pillows, but...I felt as though I was staying in a minimalist refurbished hotel despite the turndown service. There were frayed seams in the hallways and a faint off smell In our room that I couldn't quite pin down. Room size only okay, but the beds should have faced ocean rather than other rooms, that way I could lay in bed and watch the surf. No coffee in rooms, shower leaks on floor and has minimal pressure. Bathroom powder room all in one, just like a Holiday Inn. What really drove me nuts was how every time I pulled the toilet paper it came off the holder and unraveled all over the floor. Just the basic amenities in the room. The saving grace were the staff. They were all very helpful and pleasant, especially the valets. I would stay elsewhere if coming to the area again as this was really not worth the money.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank susansing
T23Manager, Manager at Tower23 Hotel, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience with our signature Serenity beds, down pillows, turn down service and exceptional staff. I apologize that the bathroom in your room was unsatisfactory. Next time you visit, please give us the chance to immediately rectify anything that is less than perfect!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Sacramento, California
Reviewed January 26, 2014

I very rarely can say I have had a perfect hotel stay, but Tower 23 was the exception. I loved my stay here. The location is oceanfront in the Northern end of Pacific Beach, at the end of Felspar. The hotel has the feel of a boutique, hip hotel. When we entered, we were told we had two free welcome cocktails and they sent them up to our room. Then later, the hotel surprised us with free chocolate covered strawberries. The hotel room was very nice, clean, and modern. The beds were comfortable and our partial view room, actually had a very nice, and what I consider full view of the ocean. We felt like we were directly on the beach. The hotel has a sun deck that is not overly crowded (just for guests) and offers drinks and food. The sunbeds are comfortable and the view is perfect. It feels very luxurious. The hotel restaurant, JRDN, is very, very good. We loved the lobster BLT for brunch, and for dinner, we loved the hummus and the brussel sprouts. At the bar, we had great drinks -- gin coolers and a chili mango margarita. Pacific Beach is an interesting area where tons of students mix with surfers and high end beach homes. The shopping and dining is plentiful, but more reasonable then high end La Jolla. Tower 23 is definitely the nicest PB hotel, but I think it is definitely in line with other updates and improvements to the area and I would guess there is more to come. We also loved that the hotel provides free bike rentals to hotel guests. Every staff person was pleasant and helpful. I heard a few folks complaining that the restaurant and its bar was too loud and kept hotel guests awake. I did not notice that at all. I will definitely go back.

Room Tip: Go with Ocean front or partial ocean view.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Schlickstuff
Sao Paulo
Reviewed January 22, 2014

My wife and I booked this hotel for our stay in San Diego. The hotel labels itself as hotel but I will assure you it is not, because you can noticed they strenght is Restaurant and not a hotel.
The food and the view, were the only positives. We arrived to have breakfast and they saud that it was fully booked even for guest. The staff is not preapre I can tell you because I'm from tbe hotel Industry.wearing sweatpants after traveling all day to be greeted by a valet asking " are you here for dinner?". The room it is ok but the furniture appears very Ikea like and the shower ran water all over the floor. If you are looking for a truly luxurious stay and not o be treated like a local partier, this is not for you. Will most definitely go For La Jolla next visit to the area.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank AlejandroGeis
T23Manager, Manager at Tower23 Hotel, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review Tower23. I am sincerely sorry that the property did not please you. Your feedback will be shared with the team, so we can reach our goal of 100% guest satisfaction.
North Royalton, Ohio
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Stayed at Tower23 January 11th through 14th, 2014. Second floor room, walk out to the patio. WOW.
Excellent views, very convenient to everything around PB and right next to Kono's. Kono's good cups of tea, fantastic breakfast, can't beat the price for breakfast.
The reason I am writing this review is really about the service staff at Tower23. They could not have been more cordial and helpful for whatever is needed.
Front desk people I dealt with first hand -
Julie - helped me out because I needed to adjust my stay due to a delay leaving Cleveland.
Nicole - always met us with a smile, very helpful with questions.
Nina - very helpful, made sure I had a taxi early in the morning upon departure.
All three really seemed to enjoy their jobs.
The guy that stood out served the patio, Zach. This guy catered to all the "crazy" needs of the people staying there. Whatever they needed, he would take care of it and did it with a pleasant smile. It was enjoyable talking to him. This guy was good at what he did.
The maid service was great, the guys in the garage were friendly, truly a customer service oriented facility.
Highly recommended.

Room Tip: I enjoyed walking out to the patio plus the view was good although not directly looking at the beach...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Steve S
Thank you for sharing your experience at Tower23! We are so glad you enjoyed our oceanfront location, Tower Deck and most of all our genuinely friendly staff. We'll be sure to commend the employees you mentioned for their hospitality. Warmest wishes!
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Are you in the doldrums? Winter weather getting you down? Need a little beach time? Then this is the place for you! Just a few nights spent in a Surf Pad had me totally rejuvenated! Falling asleep every night with the waves pounding the shore-it doesn't get any better than this. And only two hours by plane from Denver where it was minus 9 the night before I left.
Seriously, I loved my experience here. Incredible ocean views and sunsets. One of the cleanest hotels I have ever stayed in. Plus, no left over tobacco smell in the room whatsoever. I have been running into problems with previous occupants smoking in the guest rooms even when the hotel is non-smoking like this hotel is. But that was not the case at Tower 23.
Plenty of hot water for showering. If anything could be improved upon it could have been the mattress. I prefer a hard mattress; this one was soft and I kind of rolled into the center. Not enough support for my old joints!
Staff were always friendly and eager to please. Lots of communication as in emails before arrival. This is a small hotel and the front desk will learn who you are. Free coffee and newspapers in the lobby every morning. Just felt at ease, welcomed and comfortable the entire time.
I was hampered because I did not have a rental car but saw at least one rental car agency in the Pacific Beach area, close to the Hotel. Next time I will get a car. Taxis into the city average $40 one way and that adds up.
There was no concierge on duty for two of the days I was there and I needed information that the front desk did not have. I was pretty annoyed by this but just went with the flow and enjoyed the beach area. When a tourist has never been to an area, the hotel concierge is really valuable. They usually have information not found in a brochure.
The room I was in with the full frontal ocean view was a bit noisy in the evenings from the restaurant below but the conversations, dining always wrapped up by 10:00 p.m. Breakfast is by room service only but there are plenty of coffee shops within walking distance.
Looking forward to my next visit. Bring your camera and binoculars-great place for photography and bird watching.

Room Tip: Third floor surf pad.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Red Deer
Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights over Christmas. Had the Surf Pad room on 2nd floor with full ocean view. Great to sit on the balcony and soak in the views. If i stayed again i would go with one of the other rooms as sitting on the patio was equally as good. The waiter called Zak was great, he made sure all the guests were taken care off.

Room was a good size, comfy bed and chairs. Shower ok, medium water pressure. Clean room. Room service come round each evening to see if you need extra towels and give you a chocolate.

On our first night (dec 24), the hotel brought me some birthday treats as it was my birthday a few days before. Then 15 minutes later we got milk and cookies for santa. What a nice touch. Its little things like this that make a hotel good.

We took out the beach cruisers each day, these are complementary. Great for riding down the boardwalk.

Parking is $20 but each day we got s spot on the street so we did not have to pay this.

I would stay again but next time get one of the cheaper rooms, unless it was a special occasion again. Great hotel.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mojomiller
Laguna Beach, California
Reviewed December 31, 2013

This was my 4th visit to Tower 23 and I was not disappointed. I have now been there in the summer and the winter and my visits have been close to perfect. The neighborhood is pretty beachy, young and sort of funky. As you follow south on the boardwalk, you will get an urban beach vibe, but Tower 23 is halfway between the "action" and LaJolla, and is like an oasis and respite from the crazier areas. The hotel is very minimalist and a perfect base to play on the beach and enjoy the rest of San Diego. Most places in the city may be reached by a short cab ride. I've always stayed in the Surf Pad and enjoyed the view and the passing parade immensely. Although the hotel obviously aspires to "hip", it is not overwhelming and the staff is friendly, helpful and very nice. Sit outside, have a great dinner and watch the sun set.

Room Tip: Stay in the Surf Pad and watch the surfers!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends