“Great Hotel, Very honest Management !”
Review of Tower23 Hotel

Tower23 Hotel
Ranked #8 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Perfect location on the beach. Modern contempory rooms with great seaview. Hotel lended us a bike and we had a great ride along Pacific Beach. Complimentary internet. What else ?.... Ah I know... I happen to have forgotten a large amount of cash in the safe. Called the Manager Elisabeth from Vegas. She handled this very professionally and sent us the cash via UPS. I am so greatfull for this and really appreciated it. Warm feeling all the way !

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Johnny565
Write a ReviewReviews (1,034)

Reviewed October 16, 2013

We had a reservation to stay here earlier this week but canceled after arriving at the hotel. The website is completely misleading - this hotel is merely a glorified motel for the price of of a luxury hotel. We had a reservation for an ocean view room for $350/night, however, the location in Pacific Beach (regardless of being on the beach) and the quality of the hotel and the everything else really only justifies a $150-$200/night motel. Pacific Beach may be just down the beach from La Jolla but it is worlds away. Pacific Beach is a rather run down old beach town and it does not get nicer as you get near the hotel. Tower 23 is in the parking lot of a Brandy Melville and Urban Outfitters stores. We have stayed in many luxury modern hotels and Tower 23 is a cheap imitation of them. Even though we were turned off buy the area and the low quality of the motel we decided to check in and just stay the night. However, after we checked in, we continued to be disappointed - music poured into our ocean front room from the restaurant downstairs (2 floors below). The rooms were basic and not luxurious at all. Even after moving into another ocean front room (that was supposedly an upgrade), we stepped out onto our balcony and were disappointed again. The music and noise from below continued, but this time, if we looked left or right from our balcony, you saw piles of trash and other equipment from the hotel or other nearby businesses. You could only look straight ahead in order to have a nice view. In sum, this hotel does not meet expectations. If we had been paying $200 or below a night, we would have sucked it up and stayed the night, but at $350 a night, it was such a HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT that we chose to pay a cancellation fee in order to not have to stay at the hotel. We ended up at another hotel that night that met all our expectations. Do not stay here is you expect a nice quality hotel in a nice area.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
13  Thank Cohentucket
T23Manager, Manager at Tower23 Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. We are in the quintessential So-Cal beach town of Pacific Beach. While different form neighboring La Jolla, PB offers visitors a vibrant boardwalk, beach-chic shopping and iconic Crystal Pier. Recently listed in Conde Nast's annual Top 25 Hotels in Southern California, Tower23 features sweeping ocean views, minimalist design and luxury appointments.

I am truly sorry you were disappointed in your stay. I hope you found a hotel that better suited your needs and enjoyed your travels to San Diego.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

This hotel is nicely located if you want to be right on the water (Pacific Beach), close to a scenic pier for fishing and right on the boardwalk to people watching. Walked just steps out of our hotel to get a morning walk on the beach. The food in the restaurant was very good and the bar/restaurant was extremely vibrant at night when it was filled with people in their 20's and 30's. They advertise their great beds, and our bed was good. We had a partial ocean view from our balcony, which meant we had to angle our chairs a bit to look at it. Great 2nd floor terrace with plenty of seating for about 20 people - all facing the ocean-and there's bar service for the terrace.
Only strange thing to me was that the sliding frosted door to the bathroom did not actually cover the door opening, so there's about a one-inch gap allowing for less privacy than some people might want.

Room Tip: Would not have wanted to get a room right on the second floor terrace because the terrace was often...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Tower 23 is the perfect place to stay in Pacific Beach. We enjoyed the restaurant and bar and of course the open fire pit on the terrace from where we watched the sun set every evening. The rooms were very modern and clean. Surf lessons and delicious fish tacos within walking distance. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tpe74
Reviewed October 4, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Tower 23 a couple weeks ago and had a wonderful time. The hotel was in the middle of where we wanted to be and the access to the ocean and the boardwalk was super.

Room was clean, comfortable and reasonable. We brought our bikes with us, but they have bikes at the hotel that are complimentary of you are staying there.

Only thing I would say was that the hot water took a little bit to get to the 3rd floor, but once it did, it was fine.

Nice staff. very modern feel.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jfpphoenix
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We stayed there for 2 nights and best 2 nights of my trip by far. Definitely, didn't want to leave. Very friendly staff. Great, spacious and modern room with an amazing view of the ocean - we had a Sky Pad. The restaurant downstairs JRDN had amazing food and service. Loved our stay and wouldn't hesitate to come back.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lana A
Reviewed September 28, 2013

All I have to say is WOW!!! The concierge Jackie was great!! She literally saved mine and my families whole vacation. When we first met Jackie we were asking for referrals for restaurants and sites to see. Well needless to say we seen all of the sites but first after losing my backpack with all types of cash and valuables in it. We got back to our hotel and were heading to our room Jackie noticed I was upset and she came right up to me and was interested in helping me any way. Well I explained how I had lost my back pack and she told me she would continue to search for it until she found it. I thought she was just being nice but then she picked up her cell phone and called every restaurant and site we had visited and most were just looking in their managers office and not really helping. So then Jackie called some of her friends that she knew in the area and had them actually go searching. After about 2 hours one of her friends had found the back pack under a table in the restaurant we had been eating at. Needless to say everything was still there even the large amount of cash I had inside!! I must say if you are looking for a concierge that will not only give you great places to eat and see, along with personal support when you are in need! Look no further!! This girl is the best!!! Thank you Tower 23 for having such a wonderful person at your establishment!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family