“Brilliant location”

Tower23 Hotel
Ranked #7 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
“Brilliant location”
Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

It's a good looking hotel in a brilliant location, looking right over the beach. There is a lovely deck on the second floor with comfy loungers which means you can enjoy the sun without the sand :) It's about 10 mins drive to the airport and about 15 mins to the city centre.

We had some food one evening, but weren't blown away. There are lots of other options walking distance from the hotel.

Valet parking overnight is $20 which is a bit expensive. There is very limited free street parking on Fespar St right outside the hotel.

All in all, friendly staff and a great location with brilliant views. I'd definitely stay again.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank kcalbv

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Irvine
Reviewed October 15, 2012

got the surf pad on 2nd floor with beautiful ocean view. Listened to the ocean waves crashing that lulled us to sleep. Some noise from 3rd floor and outside middle of nice but it was ok . Good location with pathway to walk the PB, Staff was so nice (concierge, restaurant staff). Went for birthday dinner and got to choose our own table (corner booth inside), and they brought a card and birthday dessert for boyfriend for his birthday. Food was great, esp oysters and lobster. It was rainy so didn't get to enjoy the firepit outside. Restaurant cleared out quite early 11pm but we went on a weekday.. Bar was energetic and fun.

Room Tip: Surf pad with ocean full view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Saradelmar
Vancouver
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Stop your researching now! this is the best spot in San Diego. If you are looking for the best area to watch sunsets, people, surfers and enjoy yourself you have found it. I must have researched all of San Diego before I settled on Tower 23. I made an excellent choice, and my wife was thrilled!! We spent our 24th year anniversary at Tower 23. The staff was excellent we had a bottle of complementary champagne in our room and a nice note congratulating us, they also brought us up a commentary drink when we checked in. The room was great we had a partial view of the ocean and boardwalk. The best feature of this hotel is the sundeck, it’s breath taking at night. You can bring your own drinks out, or you can order…very relaxing. A special thank you to Ace he was our server up on the sun deck exceptional young man, great service and excellent conversation was enjoyed with him by my wife and I. A tip if you have a car get the free voucher from TripAdvisor, we tipped the boys a dollar every time we parked or took our car out, they were very quick. Great area as well plenty of restaurants and pubs, you will not be disappointed, we will defiantly stay here again. Thank you to all the staff at Tower 23 and JRDNS Restaurant we had an excellent time. You pay for what you get, and Tower 23 delivered!!

Room Tip: Any room would have been great, we stayed in room 204
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Vanrob
T23Manager, Manager at Tower23 Hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thank you much for sharing your experience! We work hard to deliver the best service, cuisine and ambiance in San Diego. I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed it all. We will be sure to recognize Ace for his efforts.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Great hotel in a fab location, and being right on the beach is a big plus. Staff were friendly and helpful. We had a light lunch on the terrace one day which was simple but delicious. Dinner was less impressive but nonetheless nice. The rooms are spacious and clean.

For a first trip to San Diego I would definitely recommend Tower23. I'd definitely go back.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FloraHE
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 27, 2012

This place seems to pride itself on being a bar and restaurant THEN a hotel. The bar and restaurant are right on the beach, the bar has great drinks, the food is good and it is a fun place to people-watch. However, the hotel is seriously lacking professional courtesy and service. It seems to be understaffed. We arrived early to the hotel on a Sunday, expecting that we would not be able to get into our room but that the staff would at least attempt to check-us in slightly earlier than the guaranteed 4pm check-in. The one staff person seemed to be insulted that we arrived early (11:30 am) and treated us coldly and unprofessionally. We left our bags at the front desk. She said she would call us if our room was ready "before she saw us again" but, of course, she never called. We went on a two-hour bike ride while we waited and our room still was not ready, so we went up to the Tower Deck. There was no staff to be found and the towels on the lounge chairs looked like they had been used. The 70's rock the restaurant was playing was blaring through the speakers on the deck, even though my husband and I were the only people up there. Finally, a server from the restaurant came up after about 15-20 minutes of waiting and after my husband asked around to see if the deck had drink or restaurant service. The server lackadaisically greeted us and handed us a menu. He did bring us drinks, though, which seemed to be a tall order at this place. Then he proceeded to just stand out on the deck for awhile and stare out at the ocean like he would prefer to be surfing (yes, we get it...but this is your job!). We finally made it to our room (which had an excellent ocean view and patio overlooking the boardwalk and ocean).
However, we really did not encounter anyone during our two-night stay who proactively greeted us or asked us how we were doing. When we left the hotel at 5:30 am to catch an early flight, the valet was nowhere to be found. My husband was told that security would escort him down to our car. Really? Tower 23 does not provide the level of service that you expect from a four-star hotel. When you pay a premium, you expect good service. I agree with previous reviewers--this is like a Best Western painted blue. While the hotel still looks nice now, I would not be surprised if it went downhill over the next five years.

With that said, definitely try the bar or restaurant. And, we did notice that housekeeping was excellent--the rooms were very clean and they did a turn-down service every evening.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
T23Manager, Director of Sales at Tower23 Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
First, please allow me to apologize that your stay was anything less than perfect. Early check-ins can be tough on Sundays, since the hotel tends to be sold out and guests departing tend to linger. But, guests are welcome to arrive early and enjoy the area. I'm sorry you weren't made to feel this way!

I am glad to hear you enjoyed the view, housekeeping services and our award-winning restaurant, JRDN. If your travels bring you back to San Diego and you'd like to give us another chance, contact me directly and I will personally guarantee you will be WOW-ed.
Stacy Warner
United States
Reviewed September 26, 2012

The accommodations in San Diego can be tricky...but luckily my friend and I stumbled across TOWER23. It was clean, the beds were completely comfortable, the rooms had ocean views, the food was delicious, decent wine list, great bar downstairs, and the tower deck (for guests) was the real showpiece. We had 2 waiters - one was Phillip, and the other whose name I can't remember (very polite from Orange County and said things like "I'll get it right quick, ma'am!") were fantastic, going the extra mile by checking out towels on their accounts for us, providing ice in a bag for my injured shoulder, tying down a would-be fly away umbrella with string and weighting down with buckets of rocks...they really made it comfortable and easy to be a lump!

On the down side, the front desk staff can be a bit vacuous if not nice, and the hotel lacks any sort of shower post check out. However, would return.

Room Tip: Request 3rd floor, ocean view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Lunch on the tower deck was great. It was a very good food value. The view was amazing, and the waiter Phil provided excellent and attentive service. Overall it was a wonderful relaxing experience

I intend to make this one of my stops when at the beach in the future and recommend the tower deck to anyone looking for this type of atmosphere. 5 stars

• Stayed September 2012