“Interesting venue, bring your earplugs”

House of Blues San Diego
Ranked #10 of 212 Nightlife in San Diego
Fremont, CA
162 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 153 helpful votes
“Interesting venue, bring your earplugs”
Reviewed December 30, 2011

We were here for a private event, so can't speak for the venue's usual offerings. There are many gathering areas in this large club. The lower level has food, a bar, and dance floor. There seemed to be smaller rooms as well as an upstairs viewing area. If you re not of the college partying generation, you will want to eat earlier and bring earplugs, as the sound system works well there are small video monitors scattered about also.
Like most clubs, the decor was dark, and slightly shabby. Security was very strict, with alcohol confined to the bar area.

San Diego, California
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Best downtown happy hour”
Reviewed July 12, 2011

House of Blues always has some good concerts going on, and it's a great venue to watch some shows. But they also serve great food. They have a happy hour from 4-7 every day - 1/2 price appetizers and $3 wells and beers. For downtown these prices are insane. Food is very good and they have a good beer selection. If you're going to a concert, come early, take advantage of the happy hour, then head down and enjoy the show at one of the city's great concert venues.

Visited May 2011
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Awesome Food!”
Reviewed January 10, 2011

We went to see Billy Idol, but had a meal first. It was fabulous! Everything we ordered was delicious. The amazing thing was the speed and service, too, just perfect. We were given a pass to bypass the line of people at the door. It snaked around the city block.

The venue is definitely not for the faint of heart or older people who don't like to get jostled. We were packed in like sardines to see the show and then couldn't see it. Not sure what the solution to it is; our tickets were over $100 a piece so paying more wouldn't have helped.But the sound was great and there are TV screens all over the place.

Visited December 2010
1 Thank Nickydoo
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“This place is really neat just not for...”
Reviewed September 26, 2010

This place is really neat just not for eating at. Average by bar food standards.

1 Thank 14all
Uxbridge, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Ruined by the food service.”
Reviewed August 23, 2010

We were in California for a while, and we'd missed the chance to go to the Hollywood House of Blues, so we decided to go here.

I love live music. I've had some great nights in the US that revolved around seeing live bands. But that wasn't entirely why we came here, we came because we were hungry. The fact that this was recommended on the basis of its live music was a bonus - we fully intended to eat, then hang out and watch the band.

But I quickly forgot about the music. The food service was the worst I've ever had, anywhere, so it was impossible to enjoy myself here. My girlfriend was so angry she wanted to walk out without paying, and it was only my Hugh Grant esque British pansyness that forced me to sit around long enough to pay. I regret that. I regret tipping the waitress. I wish I'd listened to my girlfriend.

The waitress welcomed us by IDing us. We showed her our drivers licenses, which we'd been using for over two weeks in California with no trouble. She told us they were invalid as ID, and we needed our passports - I kinda understood, maybe she hadn't seen a British license before - but at first she refused to even talk to her manager about it. She did eventually go to talk to her manager. 20 minutes later she came back and served us drinks. No apology for wasting our time.

While this was happening, the guy behind us called the same waitress over to complain that his girlfriend's food hadn't been cooked properly.

An hour later we got our food - seriously, an hour later (we'd only managed to get 2 drinks in that time) - and it was wrong. My girlfriend had asked for pasta with mild sauce (she's not big on spice) and what she got, I could barely handle (I love spice). 20 minutes later, she was given a salad instead, and the waitress said she wouldn't charge us for the pasta (which she shouldnt have anyway, it was cooked wrong!)

We waited so long for the check that I had to go and look for the waitress. She tried to be nice at first - complimenting our accents etc, but by the time we left it felt very hostile. It's likely it wasn't the waitress' fault, and maybe I should expect a popular place to be busy and take a while to get food, but we were here for over 2 hours and the food wasn't what we'd asked for.

You could say my review is missing the point. This place may well be good for seeing bands, but my experience here was painful - if they can't do food service, they shouldnt try.

3 Thank DaveC64