“Fantastic”

Cafe Coyote
Ranked #78 of 4,960 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Old Town
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Great meal, loads of flavour, loved the free chips and salsa as soon as you sit down, best of all though were the margaritas, overall great meal

Write a ReviewReviews (2,380)

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Seven of us (attending the National Youth Workers Convention) had dinner at Café Coyote last Saturday night. Arriving at 7:00pm we only had about a 15 minute wait (enough for me to finally find a parking spot)- an art festival was going on, closing most of the streets in Old Town and having all the parking lots charging $10- when they are usually free. Great service from our waitress (who used to live in Las Vegas where our church is), very good drinks, chips, salsa, and entrees. One of the best (and fairly priced ) Mexican places in San Diego. Good time!

Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

I went to dinner there with a friend. San Diego was the last stop along our drive from San Francisco and this was my least favorite meal of the week. I was looking forward to a flavorful experience but The food was average at best. The food was not cooked to order. It seemed that they had it pre-cooked and plated it when ordered. It tasted as if it was in a buffet all day. The house margarita was also disappointing.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

We got a coupon from the Mormon Battalion Monument for a free appetizer so off we went. It is a short walk. One bite of the chips and salsa and I was convinced I was in for a tasty lunch. the free appetizer was two kinds of tortillas with cheese for a nice take on a quesadilla. My chicken enchilada was packed with shredded chicken, the sauces were mild but flavorful. The "uno" had three items and was way more than I could eat. But it was delicious.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

We walked up and down old town and decided on cafe coyote without reservations but the queue was fairly short after we were seated our drinks order came quickly a very large strawberry margarita for my wife which was good value.
The food was fine we had variations of fajitas and no room for desert after pigging out on the complimentary nachos.
The cafe itself is large with several different areas and fairly noisy but the atmosphere is great and staff friendly you can see the tortillas and fajitas being made by hand at the front of the cafe and taco tuesday had tacos from $2.00 .
If you do have a starter and cannot finish the staff are quick to offer to box up the remainder for you.
In fact we ate here a second night having similar drinks but I ate the surf and turf option with lime tequila shrimp which were fabulous the steak a little so so after the shrimp if I went again possibly try the lobster.