“Good Value but disappointing”

Days Inn San Diego Hotel Circle Near SeaWorld
Ranked #99 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed February 16, 2011

Having read previous reviews I thought I was prepared for basic, budget accommodations. The price was great -- $61 a night AAA rate. But in the future we will pay more and stay elsewhere.

The room was typical motel room that opens to the outside. Curtains had to be closed for privacy resulting in a dark room. I did not feel the room was very clean--our sofa was so dusty I had to put towels on it to sit on it. Our sheets had cigarette burn holes on one side. Bathroom sink did not drain well and there was scum and remnants of hair shavings in it.

It was chilly at night, but we had to turn off the heating unit immediately after turning it on because it emitted a horrible smell.

Most frustrating was the door to the toilet/tub area (the sink is in the room outside the door). It was a pocket type door that recedes into the wall. The handle/slot to pull it out was very shallow and could not be easily grasped. I got up in the middle of the night and tried to open the door to the toilet area. It had been closed completely and the indentation for pulling it open was so shallow that I could not get a good grip to open it. I had to awaken my husband and he could not get it open either until he used a bent hangar to pry it open. After that we always left the door slightly ajar and never completely closed it.

We tried breakfast at Pam Pam's one day and ended up walking out when no one waited on us. We walked to the left past the Courtyard and Vagabond and discovered a gem of a restaurant called Valley Kitchen. It was absolutely wonderful --- highly recommend. Great prices, service and quiet atmosphere. We ate there every day for breakfast.

Pros: Free parking! Free internet service worked pretty well, a little slower in the evening but otherwise it was speedy. The bed was very comfortable. They have shuttle service, although we did not use it.

All in all the price was right and we were out most of the day until late evening. But next time we will stay in a "hotel" and in a different place than Hotel Circle. Its not a very walkable location, although we were able to walk to the Valley Kitchen for breakfast, and found that we could have even walked to Fashion Valley Mall on the other side of Hotel Circle by walking under the overpass. But we wished we had stayed downtown or in an area where we could have come out of the hotel and safely walked to a number of restaurants and shops.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,236)

Reviewed February 13, 2011

Stayed here with my wife for two nights. Staff were great, room was clean. We were very happy with the hotel. I am not one for fancy chains. I got what I wanted. Location! I am staying here again.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 5, 2011

My brother-in-law went to San Diego on 1/4/11 for a business conference & became ill on the evening he arrived, was taken to UCSD Hillcrest, the nearest hospital,t by ambulance and has been there since then. Four weeks now. My sister flew out from their home in Rochester, NY on 1/8 and is still there, I flew out on 1/20 for 10 days & have returned, to Ft. Lauderdale. My sister moved from her first hotal which was near Days Hotel because of security reasons. We spent every day at the hospital, from early morning until early evening. The hotel staff is wonderful, helpful, compassionate. The drivers of the shuttle always accommodated our needs. Housekeeping was outstanding, the laundry room was extremely clean. This is a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed February 4, 2011

Great hotel for a great price. The room was clean and updated, very comfortable bed. I was staying out in San Diego for a conference and needed to print something, I was pleasantly suprised to find they had a computer available with free printing. The staff is also friendly. I would definetly stay there again :)

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed January 31, 2011

Needed 2 standard rooms w/king-sized beds for one night -- didn't need to be anything fancy, just someplace clean and safe to rest our heads after a day at the San Diego Zoo for a birthday party. Booked here due to the above-average reviews on Trip Advisor and the rate with the AAA discount was probably the best I could find booking just six days away from arrival date. Also, this property doesn't show up on any of the bedbug report websites, which was another big reason for booking. Booked directly through the hotel toll-free line to ensure we got the AAA rate (though the ihotelier.com booking engine showed a slightly cheaper rate, I opted to stay with the res I called to make; I'm a big believer in booking directly w/ a property vs. relying on a third-party system or agency website).

We arrived slightly after 6 pm to check in; front desk clerk was polite and efficient. Stayed in 2 rooms on third level of the next-to-last building (note: the last building "the Sunset Wing" has enclosed hallways, which is probably why the management can call this a "hotel" when the majority of the rooms are clearly motel-style and open up to the outside). There are elevators in each building, but they are not large -- if you need to ride up in a wheelchair you might want to call to verify you'll be able to fit in the lift.
A computer in the lobby for internet access is available for checking in for flights or looking up local restaurants or attraction info.

Bedding linens and bath towels were all clean; carpet looks recently installed -- no stains or bad odors. Standard room has mini-fridge, microwave, coffee maker, iron and ironing board. Doors had working locks and felt safe (yes, there was a _tiny_ gap at the bottom of door, but I'd attribute this to the building settling over the years - and the door frames followed suit). The couch in the room was the only sore spot for us: there were clearly white stains on it and it was very old and faded -- management should swap these out or just get rid of them altogether. Disgusting -- we laid towels down on this just in case.

We ordered a grilled cheese sandwich for our son and a bottle of wine from Pam Pam to accompany the pizza we ordered from one of the chain pizzerias -- they delivered without issue right to our door. Parking is still free. Bed was very comfy and at night the room was quiet aside from room AC we turned on or bathroom flushing. Rude neighbors insisted on allowing their door next to ours slam shut in the morning despite the fact that we had our doorknob "quiet please" sign out, but that's not the property management's issue. We didn't try the pool - no time for that. Didn't bring laptop computer, so can't speak to how good the wifi coverage is, but used my AT&T Blackberry for looking up info -- good strong signal coverage for AT&T wireless users.

For breakfast recommend Ricky's Restaurant on Hotel Cir. South nearby -- very good!

Overall, drove away the next morning thinking we got great value for the price we paid. I'd come back and recommend to travelers on a budget, but there's another major property in Hotel Circle area I want to try also that is suppose to have had major makeover on their rooms recently. My one last comment to management: consider moving the cigarette butt receptacles AWAY from the elevators: non-smokers do NOT want to smell cigarette smoke as they exit the elevator; consider putting these at the end of each building (maybe one day San Diego will follow Santa Monica and Culver City's examples and ban cigarette smoking in public places altogether).

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed January 27, 2011

I stayed here as a place to sleep for an early flight out of San Diego airport the next day. For the money the room was better than I expected given the area. It's near a bus stop which tends to draw a undesireable crowd. I had a 2 double bed room which was fine. The room had a small micro/fridge. NO free breakfast, they push everyone to the full service cafe attached to the property.Food at the cafe was mediocre, food was hot but greasy. Chairs in the room were stained and furnishings were heavily used, however the bedding was fine with decent pillows. They have a pool, but i didn't use it. For the money it was an OK place to spend the night. Unless you're on a tight budget, there are likely better choices nearby.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 24, 2011

Stay in this hotel for 2 nights before our Mexico crusie vacation. Hotel room is big and clean. Free Shuttle bus runs from airport, San Diego Sea World and zoo. Therefore, no need to rent a car in town. Hotel is also very close to shopping mall and convention centre. Free wireless internet. The restaurant (Pam Pam) next to the hotel is a little bit expensive. Overall, great value compare to other big name hotels.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family