“Lots of varieties but disappointing quality”
Review of Todai Restaurant - CLOSED

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Seafood
Neighborhood: Mission Valley / Hotel Circle
Neighborhood: Mission Valley / Hotel Circle
Carlsbad, California
“Lots of varieties but disappointing quality”
Reviewed June 18, 2012

We were there today after not visiting for a couple of years. We used to go there for every occasion, so much to the point that my nephew literally thought that we owned the restaurant (ha ha)! Well, while the sushi bar still offered a great number of varieties, none was up to any standard. I've bitten into globs of mayo many times. Sea food were not fresh at all. I am easily pleased with any Chinese or Japanese food, but today's food was really bad. The Chinese food section where most should be hot, however, there was at times cold (like it wasn't thawed through). Egg drop soup - hmm... if you would call it egg drop or just vegetable soup. Miso soup was nothing but 75% salt and 25% water. I mean, I can do a lot better than this, and I can't cook. Dessert was good. I had my fix of Tiramisu and that was good (can't say it was great, but good enough to satisfy my cravings.) I don't like giving bad reviews, but this one is really bad.

• Visited June 2012

San Diego, California
“WORST EVER”
Reviewed June 12, 2012

we recently went to your Todai's in MIssion valley and was sorely dissappointed with the food being offered. The sodas were flat and tasteless, the hot food all tasted terrible and deserts seemed frost bitten. After a few bites, we decided that we did not want to eat at this particular resturant, and let the know we wanted to leave. We were then told we needed to pay full price or the police would be called on us for stealing. This was quite frankly the worst resturant experience my family and I have ever had. We frequent Todai's resturant alot, but based on this last visit, we will never visit this place again. TERRIBLE!!!!!

• Visited June 2012
“Very disappointed. Poor Quality April 2012”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Let me start by saying our family loves the Todai in Vegas and were very excited to see one on a recent trip to San Diego....so we arrived early at 6pm on a Friday evening. The food was warm, but not hot and they had just opened for dinner. The tempura was caked with batter and soggy.... how is this possible? The sushi was grocery store quality. Salads were all very bland. The other hot dishes I tried were disappointing. And my green tea???? they gave me a cup of hot water and a tea bag... what?! Same poor reviews from husband and two kids.

Appeared that the locals were loading up on the noodle bowls, crab legs, shrimp and fruit. I did not try those but maybe that is what they do well. Becasue they sure do not know how to prepare sushi nor tempura at Todai in San Diego. =(

• Visited April 2012
Escondido, California
“The food SUCKS!”
Reviewed February 15, 2012

This is the worst sushi I have ever eaten! I love sushi and eat it a lot at a lot of places. Not one thing I had was good. Even the hot food was terrible. Don't waste your time or money! There are plenty of wonderful sushi places in San Diego and outlaying areas!

• Visited February 2012
Escondido, California
“Worst Dining Experience Ever”
Reviewed February 11, 2012

Had their buffet Feb 10, 2012. Nothing tasted good. None of the "sushi" (hard to classify as real sushi) tasted good. It was actually terrible. Thought we'd have better luck with the hot food and it also sucked. Pineapple and cantaloupe were good but all they did was cut it up. Do not waste your money on this garbage...I thought about licking the bottom of my shoe to get the bad taste out, but the BAD taste kept coming back on me all night. Stay far away. Anything else would be better.

• Visited February 2012