“Nice dinner but something missing”
Review of Georges On Fifth - CLOSED

Georges On Fifth
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Bar scene, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 18, 2013

The restaurant is in an historic building formerly owned by Wyatt Earp. There’s a beautiful antique bar as you enter the restaurant. The murals on the walls of the main dining room honor San Diegans who made significant contributions to the city. However, the overall décor in the dining room seemed tired and unfinished. We were there during prime time and many of the tables were empty. The overall atmosphere was flat and unexciting.

The service was attentive and friendly. We had the filet and NY strip steaks and we were very satisfied. Both steaks were cooked to order, tender and very flavorful. The accompanying side items were also good. The prices were in line with other steak houses in the gas lamp district.

While we enjoyed our meals, there was nothing to make this restaurant stand out. We definitely will not return.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

The restuarant building once housed Wyatt Earp's bar and *****. The food, standard American fare, is well prepared and presented. Good value and good service.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Our alluringly dressed bartender/waitress told us the fascinating story of the building and about Wyatt Earps involvement. Then brought us great Margaritas before recommending a fantastic meal. Then the Blues band began playing and the evening was great.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

Well, here we go again! It is Valentines Day and I am searching for a restaurant for my Honey. I have been wanting to go to Georges for a while now and figured tonight woudl be the night. Well, I must say that I was thoroughly impressed with the location, service, and especially the food. I have read many reviews about this place with some recommendations. I followed most, if not all of them. We started off our night with some crab cakes that were delicious. We followed it up with their seafood bisque (just about every review recommended it). It was fantastic and the portion was definitely a bit generous. For the main course, I had their double sized pork chop. It tasted great with their vinegary sauce and the sweet potato mash was very delicious. My wife had the lobster linguni. She did not care for it too much, but it was a very generous portion and the taste was ok. We finished it all up with their creme brulee. Overall, we were not disappointed at all with Georges. Our waiter, Mike, was very good and his supporting cast were very attentive to all of our needs before we even asked. I would definitely retunr to Georges again!!

Reviewed January 22, 2013

I entitle this with "surprising" for a few reasons:
- Lovely, old fashioned, different from the other much trendier restaurants on the strip in the Gaslamp district. Very, very nice service indeed.
- Surprising dish for me - I call myself a seafood connaisseur - 3 humongous scallops (the downside, smaller is better) BUT cooked to perfection; seemed impossible to me when I was served them given their size. They were excellent, BUT the potato slice under each scallop(yes, you read right) was burnt. What a shame, it was otherwise delicate if frankly 'too much' scallop.
- Excellent dish for my husband with his filet mignon. I have 'never', in 20 years of marriage, seen him stop nearly at the end. He finished his dish, only barely. He thought the meat was excellent, however missed some type of sauce on the side.
-Spinach salad --- for a restaurant of this caliber, topped with supermarket-grade orange cheddar cheese? We even told the waitress to inform the cook. How about some nice parmesan, or simply nothing? What a shame, the rest of the salad was tasty. Do something about this!
- The wine... I drink white, he drinks red. But, for a special occasion, he wanted to order a bottle of good wine. So he did.... but then the server comes with one glass..... which was almost filled to the brim. We even asked if this was 'a glass' - so I then ordered my own selection of white, a glass. Thank you, this was definitely 'nice' -
-Sadly, we had to RETURN dessert. Very fond of 'creme brulee', we ordered one to share. What a disappointment: cold throughout (no broiler or even 'flame thrower' to brown the top?), straight from the fridge, pudding-like consistency - we sent it back after the first bite.
-Prices seem to be 'up there' but honestly the Gaslamp district 'is' overpriced, and this was very much in line with the other menus out there.
-Interesting old building, a group of 'Wyatt Earp aficionados" were outside on a tour; that was fun!
This restaurant wants to be 'different' - and it is, most definitely - but it needs to spruce up the details, and for these reasons I give it only an 'average' food rating. Too bad.