“Great Place to Make a Memory”

Found Hotel San Diego
Ranked #5 of 33 San Diego B&B and Inns
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Great Place to Make a Memory”
Reviewed June 10, 2014

My 12 year old grand daughter, Marley and I stayed for 4 nites. It was our first "Grandma and me" vacation. We were thrilled with the staff, the morning breakfast and the atmosphere in general. Love the Old San Diego feel....I am native of San Diego. Pay attention to the parking warnings...they are for real. That said....I always did find a parking spot and it actually was a little adventure for Marley and me. We pretended we were in New York....Great walking district and we ate dinner in Little Italy our last night there. I will be back for sure!

Room Tip: I was in room P on the second floor...Loved it. Had our own kitchen and large bathroom...bed was he...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 10, 2014

Convenient location in Little Italy, close to freeways, airport, great restaurants make this an excellent home base if you have to travel to San Diego on business. Through in a great staff and very reasonable rates makes this a great hotel to use for business as well.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed June 9, 2014

The staff at this hotel work very hard and give personal attention to guests. That is the huge positive. They email the guests before and after their stay to keep in contact and answer questions. I was very impressed with their level of service and attention to needs of guests who were in front of them. My first night, I arrived during rush hour and I had a tough time navigating the streets around the hotel or even finding a place to pull over. Connor, at the front desk, stayed on the phone with me and guided me to a place I could park. The hotel is beautifully furnished.

That said, there are a lot of problems for this hotel to overcome, and wonderful service simply cannot overcome all of those issues. Parking is extremely uncertain, if you can find it at all within several blocks of the hotel. The "free overnight parking" is sparse to nonexistent, if you can even find a spot in sight of the hotel. I felt uncomfortable with leaving my car under the freeway overpass, although that was the only place I ever saw an open parking space. After I got my car into a spot I felt I couldn't move it again or I wouldn't find a spot overnight when I needed it. This mobility limitation put a damper on my trip.

The rooms are extremely noisy overnight. A freeway entrance is directly outside. The airport approach is directly overhead. All night my first night, I was awakened over and over again by airplanes landing, truck brakes, horns, etc. It was very loud. Earplugs on every nightstand in anticipation of this.

The upstairs rooms smell of mold. The upstairs room I was in was very charmingly furnished with antiques and a tall four poster bed (not great for my situation--see below), but the entire upstairs smelled of mold.

Further, this hotel is not very accessible for folks in wheelchairs/with mobility problems. I injured my leg on the Sunday before my trip. I told the staff this via email, several days before the trip, but they still put me in a second floor room. There is no elevator. I didn't know this until I got to the hotel. The first floor rooms are actually a few steps up, so please be aware of this if you have a wheelchair. This isn't the fault of the staff, but unavoidable stairs should be made very clear to potential guests.

Fortunately, the staff was willing and able to transfer me to a downstairs room the second night, for which I was very grateful, but that also meant I couldn't settle in the first night, had to repack my bag, lugging it downstairs, leaving it in the office for a day. Having injured my leg on stairs, negotiating stairs at all was difficult, let alone lowering a heavy bag. I can't help thinking that if the leg injury had been noted when I mentioned it via email earlier in the week, this might not have become an issue. Because I wasn't aware of the stairs/elevator situation, I didn't know to ask about it specifically,

If not for the parking and accessibility problems, I would wholeheartedly rate this hotel 5/5. Unfortunately those issues were very detrimental to my situation.

Room Tip: Downstairs is better than upstairs. Away from the street corner is better. There is no swimming po...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

John P, General Manager at Found Hotel San Diego, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. We do take our guest's feedback seriously and strive to make changes that will accommodate all our guests. We agree that parking can be frustrating and we are here to assist as much as possible. We have reached out to several lots nearby and unfortunately are left with the free street parking near our hotel for our guests. We are also sorry to hear your room was noisy. We do have earplugs and sound machines upon request for light sleepers and hope this aided your sleep. We will be looking into why the upstairs could have had an unpleasant smell and hope to remedy any maintenance issues ASAP. Finally, I am sorry we were not more accommodating to your injured leg. We should have been more proactive about finding a lower level solution. Unfortunately we only have a few of each room type, making it difficult on busy weekends to move reservations around as needed. Again, we are grateful for your feedback and will work to make the appropriate changes. We hope you will come see us again so we can make your second stay much more pleasant.

Best Wishes.
Reviewed June 8, 2014

I travelled from L.A. to San Diego. I rented a room for 5 nights, in 5 different hotels (at similar price or higher).
Hotel Vyvant, has been the best experience I had on this trip.
Building is nice, staff are supper friendly and helpful, Rooms are very clean, Furniture are nice and new, whole building is renovated, Breakfast is from a real bakery (food is not factory produced and packed), Great Coffee,...
Even visitors are nice !
Neighborhood is nice and clean too.
Reading some older reviews I was worried about the noise. It was not an issue at all, unless you are very sensitive to noise. Hotel is close to Airport, hearing airplanes here and there is just normal.
Every dime spent on this Hotel was worth it 100%.
Great customer service. I left my phone charger there. I emailed them 2 days later. Ashley responded to me immediately, saying they have it. She said she will mail me the charger. Did not ask for any $ to ship it. (cleaning staff are good and honest)

This was a true hotel, all others were rip off!
I will book here again at any cost if I visit SD again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

bonaire
Reviewed June 8, 2014

We really liked our stay at Vyvant! It is a really nice hotel in Little Italy. We had a room with shared bathroom (price was very good) and in 4 days we never ran not the other couple we shared it with! Very friendly and helpful staff. We never had a problem parking our car. Unfortunately we did get a ticket of 52$ for parking during a sweeping night. The hotel warns you about this with notifications, but we had the days wrong (on vacation you just lose track of the day haha).

Room Tip: we asked for room away from the street and had a quiet room!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Santa Cruz, California, United States
Reviewed June 5, 2014

This is not one of those big modern hotels, which can be impersonal; rather it is a beautiful hotel with the feel of a European pension. It is intimate. What I liked is the restoration; it retains the old charm of the original hotel with the old doors and closets, lovely big arched windows, oriental carpets, and hidden garden areas. It is tastefully furnished in a simple but elegant style. It is a pleasant respite at the end of a busy day.

Nice added touches such as bottled water in the room, earplugs, shower cap, iron, books, dvds to watch, Keurig coffee, wifi, and a really comfortable bed. A big container of iced water is in the lobby as well as fresh fruit. In the morning there was fresh roasted coffee from the local roasting company, and fresh local pastries and granola, as well as yogurt, juices and fruit. I was pleased to see soymilk too..

The hotel was convenient for us as it was within walking distance to Little Italy, where we had a fantastic dinner at Mimmos. We were on an overnight trip to see the Joaquin Sorolla exhibit at the San Diego Museum of Art in Balboa Park, which was a 10 minute drive from the hotel.

Everything was clean and had a fresh feeling. The staff was WONDERFUL, so friendly and helpful. We weren't there for the weekend happy hour.

I was a bit worried that there would be too much noise from the traffic and airport but our room was actually really quiet.

We were able to park in a handicap area close to the hotel but I imagine parking could be a problem.

I booked the room via the internet. They emailed a welcome/confirmation/reminder a few days before our visit with helpful parking and hotel information.

I was very happy we chose Hotel Vyvant; overall it was a wonderful experience. This is a really nice place!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
sherman oaks
Reviewed June 5, 2014

I chose to visit San Diego without the use of a car. That meant I took the train from LA and used Uber when I wasn't walking to the places I needed to visit. Hotel Vyvant in Little Italy was perfect for me. It is located just a couple (easy walking) blocks from wonderful cafes. The rooms are not your typical hotel rooms, which is both good in that they are clean, comfortable and out of the box in unique design and perhaps not so good in that some are noisy. Once I got moved away from the street things were good, because the hotel is located just off the freeway… But the replacement room was much quieter. The continental breakfasts are fabulous… the pastries hip widening - coffee strong. The staff is friendly and accommodating. Their TV's are ridiculously small & 1980's - and this is something they could change…NOW, even if I can get movies on my iPad - I prefer a larger screen. Yes, I will go back.

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the street.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo