“Just like family”

Ranked #5 of 33 San Diego B&B and Inns
Anchorage
“Just like family”
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

I booked a room over the phone with Becca as was unsure about noise, late arrival, etc. Everything went well though arriving after midnight. Room P was great as advised by Becca. Bed was awesome. Noise was not a problem. Breakfast was baked goods delivered daily and a locally made granola that was full of nuts including macadamia. Any questions or needs were fully taken care of by attentive staff. I especially like the info listed in room of staff members favorite restaurants etc. The neighborhood is safe to explore and a foodies delight with bakery, deli, and beer pub choices. Balboa park is close enough to walk to, as is the harbor. All in all this quaint hotel has it all for a short couples retreat without a car. (10 min cab to airport)

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Turkish first
Australia
Reviewed December 31, 2013

We booked this on the basis of the great reviews and we were not disappointed. The Hotel has a vintage charm. We were able to book interconnecting rooms (Q&R) and our friend had the choice of using our ensuite or the shared bathroom in the hall. We did not hear any road noise from these rooms. The office staff are delightful - young, enthusiastic, welcoming and helpful. We within walking distance of many things - Little Italy just around the corner, the Midway and Balboa Park not too far away. Breakfast was delicious (loved the granola) and the other guests made our stay extra special with a jam session in the foyer on our last night.

Room Tip: Q & R were interconnecting and quiet (see my photos)
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed December 31, 2013

I'm sorry this review is so overdue. Hotel Vyvant was wonderful, affordable, and clean. My first-floor room didn't have a view, but for that all I had to do was walk about ten minutes to the ocean. It's close to good eating in Little Italy, and close to the Maritime Museum, which is actually really entertaining and should be a must-see on anyone's list. I was worried about the shared bathroom but only once was it occupied, and their breakfast was ridiculously good. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a budget room that still comes across as luxe!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Costa Mesa, California
Reviewed December 30, 2013

My review is based on coming back to the too. From going out to dinner . Soon as we got back my boyfriend and I were talking laughing and literally not even 5 minutes the next door people pounded on the door telling us to keep it down .. Very rude . We were just talking about to go to bed let alone if we were actually go do the dirty I felt like I was at my moms . We had to whisper to talk come on . They should let you know if it's after hours don't talk cause everyone is sleeping !

• Stayed December 2013
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 8, 2013

I found this gem surfing the internet while looking for a getaway weekend for couples.Diwntown San Diego within walking distance to Little Italy/ Gas lamp district this is a fab spot!
The hotel has a very curious name and in my one overnight night experience I found myself wishing we could stay a few days longer. The cocktail hour was quite lovely. Boyfriend and I had a chance to mingle and unwind with the other guests before heading out to dinner. The room was comfy, the interior decor throughout is filled with interesting, Victorian reminiscent pieces with a modern twist. It reminded me of my own home in upstate NY. The staff were cool and super helpful. The breakfast was a hit with local pastries and a rich, bold coffee but that really had me at the yogurt and Farmers Market granola. This establishment lives up to its name. I am all in and ready to stay again!

Room Tip: Ask to see the rooms then decide, it always giod to have options. I chose the room with the private...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank E P
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 6, 2013

I'm a fan of Hotel Vyvant; I like that it feels like you've entered an old, spacious house complete with chandeliers. The folks working there were exceedingly kind and seemed pleased to be working where they are. We had two bathrooms, one with a jacuzzi and the other with the shower/bath combo. You're truly about 5 minutes from excellent restaurants and, while close to the airport, it wasn't noisy at all. My one complaint was that the toilet paper holder was broken and aesthetically looked bad. For the cost, well. But I would happily stay here again and recommend Vyvant highly to others.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank sm837
seattle
Reviewed December 5, 2013

This hotel worked out great for us, we drove from Palm Springs to San Diego to visit a friend. Our room was quite nice, two bathrooms! One with a large tub/jacuzzi and another regular bathroom with a shower.
Even though the hotel is near a busy highway, sleeping was not problem, the hotel seemed quite quiet. We could park right in front of the hotel which was a big plus, even though we walked to restaurants and our friend's condo.
I would stay at this hotel again, breakfast was included although we did not eat.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple