“If you go to San Diego - stay here”

Found Hotel San Diego
Ranked #4 of 33 San Diego B&B and Inns
Coventry, United Kingdom
“If you go to San Diego - stay here”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

A perfect small, friendly hotel. The staff are really welcoming and extremely helpful. The rooms are well decorated and very clean. Don't worry that when you get there it is near a fly over. We didn't hear any noise. Breakfast is in the lobby, where pastries, yoghurt and fruit and grenola are served. You can chat with the other friendly guests or just sit and be groggy! The hotel is a good walk from the waterfront and has plenty of restuarants near by. The only thing mssiing for me was hot water in a jug for tea and maybe toast for breakfast. But let the staff know and they will take on board all your comments. I really felt comfortable in this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
John P, Front Desk at Found Hotel San Diego, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind review! We hope to have an available tea water jug in the future and appreciate your input. We hope you will come visit us again soon.

Bekah

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Turkish first
Alberta, Canada
Reviewed March 8, 2013

This hotel was exceptionally family friendly! Our children (ages 9&5) loved our stay here and said it was the best hotel ever!! The staff were kind and helpful and made it feel just like a home away from home. It was a bit noisy considering the location being close to the freeway but this had little bearing on our overall stay at this charming hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We are so glad you enjoyed your stay. Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed March 5, 2013

Spent five nights at this charming boutique hotel at the end of February. I'll start with the one caveat first as there is so much good to say about Hotel Vyvant.

Do phone and talk to them about what kind of room you want as they have a variety of sized, views, bed and bath set ups. Some people find the rooms facing the courtyard quieter and looking the mural nice. I stayed in 'P,' on the second floor and overlooking the courtyard. Unfortunately, the wall of the next building is fairly close, which means you don't really see anything out that window.

On the other hand, this nicely decorated room has a real princess-and-the-pea bed, by which I mean it is HIGH off the floor, a very nice small kitchen with microwave, fridge, coffee maker, dishes, etc. Large closet, room safe, ironing board, iron. Good size bathroom with nice toiletries (and hair dryer). Flat screen tv mounted on the wall which was fine but I find I'm never that interested in watching tv when I am on holidays anyway. And I am the kind of person who checks closely when I move in; the room was spotlessly clean and in excellent repair, even in the little corners that get missed sometimes.

When I talked to the staff about possibly moving to another room, they did their very best to accommodate me and were very gracious about it, assuring me that they wanted me to be enjoy my stay. I looked into a couple of the other rooms and there was one on the corner of State/Grape streets on the 2nd floor with a shared bathroom. I made of point of listening but it didn't seem noisy to me. Other people have commented about the noise and it is true that Grape Street is a busy street but I live out in the country and I didn't find the noise to be too much.

The hotel itself is in a character building with all many original features intact. I think there are about 20 rooms or so and I much prefer a small inn to the larger hotel chains, so this suited me perfectly. The halls are wide and gracious and invite lounging in one of the several armchairs/settees arranged there. The lobby is more like a living room, with couches and a coffee table, a dining room table for eating breakfast.

I had no problem finding parking, either directly out front on Grape Street or, more often, on the one-way side street, State. I was on my own and felt completely safe in the neighbourhood. Little Italy is wall-to-wall restaurants and two blocks away; so very convenient for walking out to dinner in the evening.

The guests that I encountered seemed friendly and cheerful and, best for last, the hotel staff is EXCEPTIONAL, every single one of them. I am so sorry I didn't get all of their names but I know I dealt with Denise (who carried my bag up to my room and made sure I knew how to work everything). Each was friendly, interested and interesting, knowledgeable about the neighbourhood and very helpful. They all made me feel completely at home. I really can't praise them enough. If I get back to San Diego again, this is where I'll stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Sussorous
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a kind review! We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your return!

Bekah & the rest of the Hotel Vyvant Staff
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We just got back from our trip to San Diego and stay Hotel Vyvant. The hotel made our trip wonderful. We originally booked for the single queen with shared bathroom. We checked in, they showed us the room and shared bathrooms, both which were clean, modern and well kept After coming back from lunch, they told us the remodeling on one of the shared bathrooms wouldn't be completed by that night and upgraded us to the 3 bed suite for free! The upgrade was wonderful. All the rooms are clean and well decorated with small individual items. Happy hour at the hotel Friday and Saturday was lovely after a long day in the city and included small snacks and local beers/wines. Breakfast is cute and filling with great coffee, local pastries, granola and greek yogurt. The staff were wonderful, in particular Becka, who had excellent restaurant suggestions. The hotel is on the street, as is every hotel in the entire Little Italy area. Yes, you can hear slight street noise, but it didn't interfere with us sleeping at all and I would expect it to be the same at all other hotels nearby. Street parking is easy and free. We can't wait to come back to San Diego and will definitely be staying at Hotel Vyvant when we do.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
John P, Front Desk at Found Hotel San Diego, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay! We look forward to your return as well and thank you for taking the time to write a review. - Bekah
O'Fallon, Missouri
Reviewed February 28, 2013

I was so excited after reading the reviews and I was very disappointed. Our first impression on arriving is that is smelled musty and was in need of repairs. We had reserved our room online, then I called to make sure we had a room away from the road noise, per previous comments. I was sent a new confirmation with a note that we were moved away from the street and given a room with a spa tub. When we arrived we were led to the original room. I shared the confirmation I had received showing the new room location and I had been sent at least a month prior. After doing some research in their system I was told that, the room we had been moved to (H) was not available and there was a manager hold on the room, so we could not have that room. She explained that it is difficult with so many people handling reservations to ensure that "notes" are read. She did offer to move us to a King size room, but there would be a night right in the middle of our stay when we'd have to move for that night. We were taken to the King size room to take a look, the road noise was significant, which did not make me feel confident we'd have a good stay. Then after checking out the "king" room, which was quite small with a less than appealing looking bathroom we decided not to stay at all. I was really really disappointed that the photographs and descriptions of this hotel, in no way matched up to what I was met with upon arriving. This hotel is literally at the on ramp to the I-5 and right around the corner from Little Italy, so I'm sure there would be constant traffic noise.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank iffyflan
John P, Owner at Found Hotel San Diego, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
I am so sorry to hear about your experience! I would like to apologize for the work that was going on upon your arrival. We had an unexpected water leak in our public areas that required us to do some repairs over several days. We tried our best to accommodate our guests and make sure that everyone was happy and comfortable. I am sorry we could not do more for you!! I also apologize for the confusion at the front desk regarding your request for a specific room. We do our best to accommodate special requests, and I can assure you this was an unusual circumstance. Finally, regarding the noise, our building has been retrofitted with dual-pane windows and most people sleep very comfortably. We are located in an urban environment and street noise is common in all of the hotels in downtown San Diego. We hope you will give us another try when you do visit San Diego again. We will do everything we can to ensure you have a wonderful stay!
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I recently took my 3 children on a short vacation in San Diego. We had reserved the Urban Flat I room. We used Hotels.com to make the booking. Shortly thereafter we received a welcome email from Vyvant and confirmation. We made a request to have the hide-a-bed made out for my children. They were agreeable and accommodating, offering suggestions for dining and entertainment for the children.
First of all, the address is important. Be sure to go to Grape Street WEST to find the hotel. The hotel is located directly on the entrance to the 405 highway and in the flight path of the airport. The jets fly low, and I mean really low. The street in front of the hotel is busy. However, this could really work to your advantage because you can quickly go to the places to you need to go to...plus the harbor area is within reasonable walking distance. Parking is directly on the street by the hotel - and FREE! I found this helpful. If you are a light sleeper, consider this location before deciding. I found the city noises part of the experience and my children can sleep through anything.
Next, our room wasn't exactly what I had in mind. It could be cute, but really, I wasn't looking forward to sharing the small space with 3 children. Also, the hide-a-bed wasn't made up and housekeeping had already gone home. I thought I could manage it, but it wasn't a standard hide-a-bed. The guest service staffer tried to help me, but together we could not figure it out. However, she was very kind and moved us to a much better room just down the hall. I believe it is the Urban Flat II. The room had a nice entry way to store our shoes, bags, etc. It had window coverings (The other room had partial) and two beds/two baths. The kitchen was large and stocked with all the things we needed. Please consider this room if you are sharing your space with your children or another couple. It is located directly on the street side, so it is most likely to have street noise. Again, how that impacts someone is subjective, but worth mentioning.
A pleasant surprise was the morning breakfast. I didn't recall seeing it on the website, so I didn't expect any offerings. The pastries were very large and scrumptious. The coffee was pretty good, too. Plus they offer yogurt, fruit and juice/milk. It was a perfect way to start our day. We loaded up and headed back to our room to enjoy a sweet breakfast.
The biggest suggestion I would make on improving the room is to add a table to the kitchen. We didn't have anywhere to eat, so we put towels on the bed and made a picnic. The housekeeping wasn't excellent either - but not a huge complaint. I noticed dust/dirt/food under the bed and in the kitchen floor. The sponge in the kitchen was pretty gross - a new one or clean dish cloths would be better. The towels and linens were clean and fresh, so happy about that. A new in-room guide should be on the to-do list for the new owners. The guide has helpful information, but it is worn out and tattered. Also, a pre-arrival check should be done - there were a few out lights.
The staff were very helpful, kind, and accommodating. The room was large and well stocked. The location had advantages for our trip. Plus, the lovely breakfast was a bonus. I would recommend staying here, especially if you are looking for a city experience.

Room Tip: I would only chose Urban Flat I if you are a couple or single, not if you are sharing a space. I wo...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
John P, Front Desk at Found Hotel San Diego, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank you for your review. We do appreciate you taking the time to let us know how your stay was. We apologize for the missing kitchen table, we will be sure to get that taken care of. Also, we will be sure to be more thorough in checking the rooms upon arrival. We are so happy you had a nice time and hope you will visit us again!

Iowa City, Iowa
Reviewed February 20, 2013

The hotel is lovely and clean and the staff is very nice and helpful. My only complaint is the shared bathroom on the second floor. It is dimly lit with no light over the vanity, and old, slippery tub/shower with no grab bars. There is no surface for toiletries, no hooks for clothes/robes. I expressed my dissatisfaction with the bathroom but there was no offer to change rooms when one became available (I stayed 4 nights) They did suggest I use the other bathroom down the hall which looked to be remodeled and much better but I felt uncomfortable invading other guests' shared bathroom.
It would take so little to remedy. I am very surprised they haven't. Nice hotel, good value, just avoid Room "R".

Room Tip: Avoid room with shared bathroom on second floor.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank connie g
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We do apologize for the dimly lit bathroom. We will be sure to look into improving it. Also, we will be sure to look into a solution for storing toiletries. We hope you will visit us again soon and allow us to make your stay even better!