All reviewshotel vyvantshared bathroomgrape streetspa tubyogurtboutique hotelbalboa parkstreet parkingwalking distanceclose to the airportqueen bedcontinental breakfastgaslamp districtnoisefreewaykitchenetteearplugs
Reviewed July 21, 2012

I just got home from spending three nights at The Little Italy Inn. From the moment I checked in to the moment I checked out, service was the word. I was welcomed upon arrival by a smiling Kaitlyn, and brought to my room. The inn, itself, reminded me of my grandmother's 1900's house in San Francisco. The room was very charming, and it felt like I was in a home rather than a hotel. The location was perfect; right in Little Italy and close to public transportation. Every time I left or arrived during my stay, I was greeted and asked how my day was. I was given excellent suggestions for dinner by Lorraine, who also helped me negotiate public transportation to the zoo. Mitch, the general manager, was a personable guy who was generally interested in my comfort and satisfaction. He even asked me what I thought of some of the improvements he had planned for the inn. The continental breakfast at the community table was very nice. The little touches like the fruit bowl and cold water with lemon was always nice to have throughout the day. I have paid double the price at other inns that were clearly inferior. I can't wait till my next visit to The Little Italy Inn.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank GTMetro
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Just finishing my stay at the Little Italy Inn in San Diego. I can't say enough good things about this place.

Starting with the service. Impeccable. The friendliest staff at any establishment I've ever stayed at. The general manager Mitch, the girls at the front desk, Lorain and Kaitlin, and the owner John were all so warm and accommodating.

I was planning to leave early one morning before breakfast and when I asked Lorain to arrange a cab for me she immediately offered to pack me a breakfast. When I had my hands full coming in one afternoon, Mitch came right over and used his key to get my door so I wouldn't have to dig for mine. These are the kinds of things that took place throughout my stay. Furthermore, everyone on staff did a great job of helping me select places to eat and things to do and providing me with maps of the area.

The stay included breakfast each morning, which included, yogurt, granola, coffee and OJ, oatmeal, and many wonderful pastries and muffins. They also had happy hour on Friday and Saturday with cheese and crackers, wine one night, and excellent craft brews another. During happy hour the staff made me feel so at home it was like hanging out with friends.

The inn itself is quaint and intimate with very comfortable beds and my room had a very nice shower with a rain type shower head. The location in Little Italy is fantastic right around the corner from India street which is chock full of great little restaurants, shops and bars. I recommend dinner at Buon Appetito!

I highly recommend this place if you are planning a stay in San Diego. Thanks to the staff for a truly wonderful stay!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank jpoirier451
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Like others have commented. This is a great place to stay and the new owner, Mitch, is great. He's friendly knowledgeable, and focused on delivering anything the customer needs. In addition, every culinary recommendation he made was spot on and excellent. The staff was also very welcoming of pets and treated my dog like part of the family. I've already recommended this property to several people because of its owners and its charm. It is a true gem in Little Italy.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Ian L
Reviewed July 11, 2012

After cycling from Seattle to the border of Mexico, I was ready to get off my bike and settle down in San Diego for a few days before my flight back to Boston. I searched for places to stay downtown but the results were either were too expensive or simply lacked the "home sweet home" atmosphere that I was looking for. I found a recommendation for the Little Italy Inn on wikitravel and as soon as I saw the rooms and the prices, my mind was set. I would stay at the Little Italy Inn.

I contacted the staff via their webpage and the manager (Mitch) responded to my inquiry and informed me that there was an opening for me. I booked the economy room for $70/night and when I arrived at the hotel I was instantly greeted by Mitch. I immediately felt as if I was at home. This is exactly what I needed! Mitch showed me to my room and informed me of all the amenities that the property offers.

Upon entering my room, I was amazed at how it looked more like a well decorated room in a house versus those typical big brand name hotel rooms that are bland and all look the same. The A/C was nice and cold and checking into the Little Italy Inn ended up being a perfect ending to a 1700 mile bicycle trip.

I stayed one night in the Economy room and then decided that I would splurge a little for the next three nights and upgrade to the King Spa room which had a jacuzzi tub, ensuite bathroom, mini-fridge, flat panel tv, and more. I couldn't have made a better choice!

Conclusion:

I've traveled the world and have stayed in accommodations from hostels to luxury 5 star resorts. When it comes to feeling at home, nothing beats the Little Italy Inn. Trust me!

The location of this hotel couldn't get any better. Little Italy reminds me of the North End back home in Boston. Each night I strolled up and down the street trying new restaurants and enjoyed the people watching. Give this place a shot, you won't regret it and your wallet will be thrilled with your choice.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Ryan G
Reviewed July 11, 2012

We usually have stayed in Pacific Beach when we visit San Diego but our daughter recently moved near Little Italy. I am so happy she did and happier that we discovered Little Italy Inn. We visited for three nights the first week of July. Our room was really clean and comfortable. The property reminded more of a boutique hotel than a bed and breakfast. It really was close to many bars and restaurants. Mitch, one of the owners, was great to deal with. Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family