“A must for Taco Tuesday”

Fred's Mexican Cafe
Ranked #270 of 4,994 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Town
Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

Great atmosphere, tacos are $2-$3 on Tuesday, they have good drink specials and the service is also super quick. Bonus : they play old school music video

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I ordered the carne asada taco dish and the best thing on the plate was the rice and beans. They put cheddar cheese and lettuce on the tacos which is not Mexican, at least not in Tijuana, so it ruined the tacos for me. Guess I should have known from the name of the restuarant.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

We loved the menu, the cocktails, the atmosphere and mostly the manager.........Brian Gambee.........wow.......what a personality.!.............made us feel at home and made sure we didn't lack anything........We would visit again for all these reasons but mainly to see Brian!!! Thank You, Brian........we brought you back to Texas with us!!

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We had family in town and wanted a family-friendly restaurant in Old Town, San Diego. We did not realize this restaurant is a chain, and the wait was shorter than others in the area so we gave it a shot. Our waiter was excellent and patient with the kids. The food was decent, but nothing particularly special. We were happy to get in the door relatively quickly during a busy Saturday evening, so I can't complain. :)

Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

Worst Mexican food I have ever tried. The food arrived cold and looked like it was slapped together by preschoolers. The carnitas platter my wife ordered could be best described as what I would imagine stale dog food to taste like. This was the first time we have (ever) sent a plate back. My kids plates were barely edible and also arrived cold (they woke up with a stomach ache the next morning). They took her meal off the tab but since it ruined my wife's appetite, obviously I wasn't going to eat while she didn't. Fred's Mexican crapitorium ruined our evening. I would rate this dump lower if it was possible.