“A Mexican fiesta!”

Fred's Mexican Cafe
Ranked #180 of 4,753 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Old Town
Dublin, Ireland
“A Mexican fiesta!”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Although Mexican food is easy to find in San Diego, we enjoyed Fred's. great location, fun decor, friendly staff and tasty food! San Diego weather makes the outdoor seating a great option!

• Visited October 2012

Nashville, TN
“Open latest”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

This is apparently where the staff of the restaurants and shops around Old Town go when everything else closes up so they will be open late. We ordered munchies and the food arrived promptly and was fresh and tasted good. They have a variety of margaritas—I tried the Red Bull Margarita, I don't know why because I had Red Bull. I wouldn't recommend it—especially since there are so many better choices!

Enjoy this place for late night eating and mingling with the "locals!"

Visited October 2012
Studio City, CA
“Great Carnitas Plate”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I tried the Carnitas Plate on the recommendation of our server-Cesar. It was excellent, the pork was juicy and flavorful, not dried out like I have had it at other restuarants.

Very Good Salsa...The Magarita was so-so

• Visited October 2012
Chula Vista, California
“Vibrant atmosphere; okay service and food”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I visited Fred's in Old Town around 8:00 PM on a Thursday night with a friend.

It took about 5 minutes or so for the two of us to get seated despite that fact that we could see plenty of open tables. Not a big deal.

Our server took our drink and dinner order after dropping off a basket of tortilla chips and salsa (which was fresh and tasty). I ordered the Carnitas Plate ($11.50) and my friend ordered the Chile Verde ($11.50).

Shortly after ordering, the server brought my iced tea but didn't bring the maragrita my friend had ordered. Soon after that, he brought our food and my friend was still without his margarita and had to remind our server.

The carnitas/pork was flavorful but a little on the dry side. The three flour tortillas wrapped in foil and steamed to warm them were scalding hot, stuck together, and tore when you tried to separate them. They also had a slightly odd flavor to them.

Again, it was an okay experience. With all of the other options available in Old Town, I think you could do better elsewhere.

• Visited September 2012
cos
“Fun Time”
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Very casual atmosphere with the best Mango margarita around. Food was average Mexican fare with good flavor and quality. The party I was with was on the loud side, but the outside dining could handle that without annoying other diners. Service was attentive; however, our server appeared to be either bored or on the standoffish side - definitely was not her best day. Food and drink as served quickly. Will come back again.

• Visited September 2012