“Nice hotel. Great staff!”

Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego-Del Mar
Ranked #16 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed January 20, 2014

My family of 5 enjoyed a nice 2 bedroom suite for three nights while in town for a family wedding in La Jolla. Enjoyed our stay but we were really impressed by the group of people running this place. Everyone we had the pleasure of running in to were very pleasant, courteous and helpful. From the front desk to the breakfast personnel to the maids in the hallway. Even had the GM walk by while we were sitting in the lobby and asked if the temperature was comfortable. The little things add up and the positive attitudes do make a difference. We'd recommend this location in a heart beat! Thanks.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Write a ReviewReviews (1,618)

Reviewed January 20, 2014

This hotel would have been perfect for me if the fitness center was 4 times larger and had some equipment. 2 treadmills, an eliptical, a bike and some dumbbells doesn't qualify as a fitness center. However, the free food was very good and the remaining facilities are nice.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 19, 2014

This is an excellent hotel on many levels. However, the single star rating is not accidental and hopefully will at a minimum entice conversation and make visitors aware given that a single review like this can affect the outcome for well over 1000 potential visitors very quickly. I'm targeting the fact that the property is not a smoke-free hotel.

I came here to relax with a friend for the long weekend with a friend and we wanted a kitchen option. Nothing can ruin an otherwise experience more than activities of other guests and in this case it's subtle and not the guests' fault as it's allowed hotel policy.

Now I understand that only certain sections of the property have rooms that allow for smoking and I know there are designated areas outside, but this never, ever works. Smoke has a tendency to make its way around the building despite best intentions. On this particular visit, a few examples:

1. We like to sleep with the windows open. Not more than an hour or two into trying to fall asleep and ... smoke.

2. Sitting in the hot tub after a long hike during the afternoon ... smoke.

3. Retrieving a few items from the car ... smoke.

I am somewhat sensitive to smoke so maybe other visitors will not have an issue but as someone who is just getting over a minor lung infection, it pretty much ruined the weekend.

I also understand that hotels want to be accommodating to smokers. However, this is 2014 and there are many successful hotels that are 100% smoke free (thinking many Starwood properties). In fact, one Starwood property manager told me if I see someone smoking close to the building, to call as it's not allowed and that's the way it should be.

I also work in medicine and see the carnage downstream, but I'll leave this part out as it's a personal choice, although that's debatable too with escalating insurance premiums. What is not though is supporting an activity that has the potential to have negative consequences for others who are also paying guests.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
11  Thank medicinewizard
Ryan B, Front Office Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego-Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience. While our property is well known for being an incredibly comfortable and clean hotel, it seems that you did not get to enjoy that kind of experience. We do have designated exterior smoking areas as well as designated smoking rooms located on our top floor. We of course are very sorry to hear that you were effected as we truly strive to make both smoking and non smoking guests happy. I would like to extend our sincerest apologies and would appreciate any further details in order to ensure this does not occur in the future. Our direct line is 858-523-0500. Thank you again and we hope to hear from you soon.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 17, 2014

The suit was compact and very efficient. Just what we needed as a couple. There we no restaurants within walking distant except the one in the Hilton hotel next door. However, Homewood suites provided dinner Monday thru Thursday 5-7PM.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton
Ryan B, Front Office Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego-Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2014

Thank you for the great review! While we do have a plethora of wonderful one and two bedroom suites, our Homewood also offers Studio Suites for quick getaways and smaller families. You can expect all of the amenities you would find in our larger suites but in a smaller and more economical package. We hope to have you again next time you are in San Diego!

Reviewed January 13, 2014

Thank you for the excellent hot meals for breakfast and evening. I was going to book with Marriot nearby and it did not offer the meals or free sevices. I am so glad I stayed here. The staffs for dinning and front desk were very friendly. It made my business trip less stressful. Thanks again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Wendy H
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Another great stay at a Homewood Suites. Staff was exceptional. There was a pretty good variety of breakfast foods, certainly better than your standard continental. The only unfortunate thing about our stay was the family of early-rising kangaroos above us. Can't fault kids for being kids. Would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 11, 2014

I stayed in this hotel while working in San Diego for 10 nights in August 2013. The staff was extremely attentive to every detail and amazingly friendly. The ladies working the evening reception remembered us each evening and went out of their way to make sure we had drinks at our table, they even remembered where we sat each night! The front desk staff was very friendly and was extremely helpful when I spoke to them about the people in the room above me stomping on the floor. The maintenance staff was quick and attentive when the lock on my door broke and the guy was super friendly. Overall, this is about the best hotel staff I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with, and I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who's staying in the Del Mar area, or working at MCAS Miramar like I was. Fantastic stay!

Room Tip: Rooms on the inside of the hotel overlooking the pool are very quiet.