“very good value”

Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego-Del Mar
Ranked #14 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Our suite had everything we needed. It was spacious, comfortable, and we enjoyed all of the free amenities. We particularly enjoyed the generous hot breakfast and the free parking. Also the WiFi worked well.

There are newer reviews for Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego-Del Mar

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Stayed here for one night on business. Room was really large. Bed was comfortable. Also loved the shower pressure. The only minor downside was that there were no easily accessible power outlets by the bed stands for me to keep the phone charged with my alarm.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 15, 2013

The front desk staff (namely Jamie and Courtney) were absolutely amazing. Everyone on this board seems to have the same reviews... I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this hotel if you are anywhere in the greater San Diego area. Traffic on I-5 was very minimal, and it was easy to navigate if you are heading to Sea World or the Zoo.

Room Tip: During the summer, the pool can get a little noisy. It closes at 10pm. If this is an issue, reques...
2  Thank stobie02
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We stayed here last year for one night out of 5 nights that we had originally booked, and it was one of my worst hotel experiences ever. The room was very dark (not much sun light could get through the window). The furniture and room decoration were uninviting, with dark brown bed covers made of cheap synthetic material. The first thing we did when we entered the bedroom was to remove those bed spreads, but, unfortunately, what we saw once they were removed was unclean/stained white bed sheets. On top of that, the beds were so uncomfortable (probably very old with sunken mattresses). The couch was also old and broken... it wasn't useable. We called the front desk and they sent a service man to fix it. He did something that improved it slightly, but we still couldn't sit on it, especially the middle part... there was pretty much nothing underneath the cushion to support the body weight (even though none of us is overweight... we're all under 150 lb). The couch and chairs were all stained and looked filthy. We wanted to leave and get refund for the remaining nights, but because we booked through expedia, they said they could only refund 40% of what we paid. Eventually, they agreed to move us next door to Hilton Garden Inn.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Excellent service, excellent rooms, and unbeatable value that includes breakfast and dinner reception. The staff is super friendly and help accommodate and made our stay as comfortable as possible. Even though we were traveling for business it felt like we were on vacation!

Definitely would recommend this hotel to business travelers and vacationing families.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Hi, I went there with my wife and my two kids, for a week. Let me start saying that the staff is very friendly and helpful, probably the best staff I have ever dealt with. Breakfast was great and the Monday through Thursday complimentary dinner, with complimentary beer and wine (ojh, yeah!) is AWESOME, especially the Thursday night bbq. Location is great, we already knew the area since last year we went to Homewood Suites in Carlsbad, but this time we wanted to be closer to San Diego. The one bedroom room was perfect and with full kitchen. The swimming pool is kind of small, but considering that only a handful of people uses it, was more than enough for us.
Sleeping. The king bed was great, but the sofa bed was terrible, even for two small children and eventually we had to switch beds with them. If you are a party of four adults I strongly suggest to look for a two queen bedroom (less privacy but better sleep for all). The sofa bed is not the reason I am giving four stars instead of five: it's because of their smoking policy. They let people smoke in the patio between the dinner room and the pool even during dinner or breakfast; during the Thursday BBQ a "lady" arrived and was "nice" enough to sat at the table next to ours, while the children were eating and start smoking (since the staff saw her smoking and greeted her, I guessed that was their policy otherwise they would have told her to quit the cigarette). Since this is a "family" hotel and the staff is really caring about the needs of the whole family, I was kind of surprised about that.
Overall, I would suggest this hotel to anyone looking for a family vacation in the area.

Room Tip: avoid rooms at the first floor, surrounding the pool. We were on the second floor, pool-view and was...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I travel the United States for work. I stay in so many hotels, mainly Homewood and Hampton Inns. I had to take time from my busy life to write a review.

Staff is amazing. Upon arrival, I was greeted nicely "in the parking lot" by the always smiling maintenance guy. Another staff member walking through the side gate welcomed me home as well. David, in the dinning area, what a superb guy...very help to children and my family. Always happy go lucky. Check Inn ladies, thumbs up. I first got the first floor room with a patio next to the pool, it was too noisy for me since I like to take naps and no cell signal. I was moved to fourth floor corner. Great cell signal and very quite.

I had two room suites with full size kitchen. A king sized bed and and a nice living room. The elevators are quick. There is free dinner M-Th with free alcohol drinks. Full breakfast with nice ladies and David attending to your needs.

What I liked most - in most hotels, the breakfast area close promptly at said time. For instance, if a hotel states breakfast is over at 10:00 am, the staff are cleaning up at 9:45. By 10:00, nothing is out. At Del Mar, if breakfast is over at 10:00, food was still out for late arrival at 10:20..this is unheard of. Furthermore, the breakfast staff are still smiling. Second, during meals, beit breakfast or dinner, the staff comes out and helps with serving and cleaning. For instance, on Thursday evening during the hamburger and hot dog meal (great dinner by the way), hotel staff would walk around the dinner area were serving beer, condiments, water, napkins....they were accommodating. This hotel is near many of the attractions I wanted based on the price I paid. A centrally located hotel was double. The sites were within 15 -30 minutes from where I wanted to be. Balboa Park, Old Town San Diego, Midway Aircraft Carrier, Flag Ship two hour Harbour Tours, and Mesa Rim Rock climbing - If you have kids, do not miss these low cost attractions.

What I liked least - the shower curtains had a slight foul smell. This is nothing out of the ordinary.

Without hesitation, I feel this is hands down the best Homewood Suite/Hampton hotel in the entire United States.

Room Tip: stay away from the first floor room near the pools..no cell signals.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family