1,712 results
All reviewsfree dinnermon thursbreakfast and dinnerevening receptionfull kitchenstove topbedroom suitehome away from homecomplimentary breakfastfront desk stafftorrey pinesyogurtsofa bedliving areathe breakfast areafamily vacationsea world
Reviewed February 28, 2013

My husband has stayed at this hotel several times on business and always had a positive experience. Recently my children and I "tagged" along on one of these trips to visit my son who attends UCSD in La Jolla. My review is based on this family trip.
Overall, we had a comfortable and pleasant stay. I would stay here again. The hotel is clean and well maintained. Both TVs and free internet worked without problems, so did the stove and refrigerator. Maybe the furniture could use an upgrade, especially the pull out couch, but the room was clean and so were the common areas. We had no problems finding the hotel (just google driving directions) and there is plenty of free parking. All of the staff we encountered were friendly and the kids really enjoyed the pool. On our last day, one of the employees came around to all the breakfast tables and offered little plastic duck toys from a large basket to all of the children. Just a small touch, but my kids were delighted--even the 15 year old picked one. This hotel is a good choice for parents of UCSD students (the University is just an exit away) and a good choice for a family on vacation in San Diego. It's a short drive to the zoo and old town. No restaurants in walking distance though.
The main reason I can't give this hotel five stars was the breakfast. Compared with other Homewood Suites (for example the one in Anaheim), I was disappointed. No fresh fruit, just one flavor of yoghurt in a large, non-chilled bowl. The scrambled eggs were severely undercooked one of the mornings (basically liquid) and scorched another day. Generally, the breakfast buffet simply had few appetizing choices. The hotel does have a couple of waffle irons which generally had long lines to use. We also consistently received an in-sufficient number of towels and had to keep calling for more towels from the front desk. The pullout lacked pillows and blankets on the first night. The hotel is not particularly noisy, but not exactly sound-proof either. About average. We woke up early every morning to a lady loudly having a cell phone conversation while walking up and down the hallway, stopping at length in front of our room (I guess she couldn't get reception in her room?) Not the hotels fault of course, just a note to fellow travelers. Please be courteous in the hallways early in the morning and late at night!

Room Tip: Corner suites on the upper floors seem the quietest
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Once again our trip to San Diego felt like coming home. We travel to the San Diego area for doctor appointments for my 16 year old son. About six months ago he had heart surgery and he has to continue getting rehabilitation, and he has frequent checkups. Staying at Homewood Suites during his visits is such a comfort for us. We walk in and everyone welcomes us, and asks about my sons health, and offers any assistance we may need. I know when we get there that we will be okay. The stress and anxiety I feel over my son is lessened and I can relax for a few days. On our last trip I was even able to go next door and enjoy the 25 minutes 'stress buster' massage for a great price, and booked at the last minute. I would recommend this hotel for so many reasons, but the main one is the people. The staff always makes you feel right at home and are sincerely interested in meeting your needs and expectations.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

We were looking for a suite for our family of 4 to vacation for the first time in San Diego over our Winter school break, and this property met and exceeded our expectations. The staff were courteous and helpful. The breakfast was delicious, especially the make your own waffles. The dinners offered on Monday thru Thursday were tasty, and helped me stay on budget. Centrally located for our itinerary, I-5 took us downtown, to Sea World, or the Zoo in under 30 minutes, or up to Legoland or Oceanside pier in the same amount of time. We were close to La Jolla cove and Birch Aquarium, and the Sorrento Valley train stop. The separate sleeping space was essential with two teenagers, and the couch was passable for sleeping. Two separate TVs also allowed my wife and I to watch our shows quitely in the evening.

Laundry was a bit tough with only one working dryer, but other than that we had no complaints. I would suggest the staff pulling together a map of the area for local shopping since I would have been lost as a first time visitor without my Garmin.

Finally my biggest problem of all is that my kids want to return for Easter break. Thanks to everyone who made our stay special.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

First, this is a very pleasant hotel. The staff goes out of their way to accomodate every chance they get. The service is second to none, definitely a "team" atmosphere. I noticed every employee pitching in where ever and whenever they could. The rooms are clean, however, I think the Queen suite (with pullout sofa) are among the smallest rooms I've ever encountered at a Homewood Suites. Not much larger than a standard room elsewhere. It's very well laid out, though so this is almost a non-issue. If I was there with a family, I would think otherwise. The worst thing I can say about this hotel is that the elevator is soooooo slowwwww! Would love to see them fix that but I will happily return to this property whether they do or not.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 20, 2013

On a positive note our room was very clean and comfortable, and the (free) breakfast was good- very clean, lots of choice, pleasant staff.

We stayed two nights. The second night we were startled and frightened when someone walked into our room unannounced when we were half asleep. They had been rented our room and entered with a key card. The following morning when we came back to our room after breakfast we were locked out. When we went to the front desk and explained ( in a nice way) what had happened, the young woman was very dismissive and rude. She said the manager would call us but that never happened.

We had a few other minor glitches during our stay, but a security breach should be addressed.

Clean, comfortable, poorly managed.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple