1,714 results
All reviewsfree dinnermon thursbreakfast and dinnerevening receptionfull kitchenstove topbedroom suitehome away from homecomplimentary breakfastfront desk stafftorrey pinesyogurtsofa bedliving areathe breakfast areafamily vacationsea world
Reviewed June 23, 2011

Our family of four (kids 4 yo and 6 mo) stayed here for a recent trip to Sea World. The hotel is close to the freeway to make trips to attractions easy. We made the mistake of trying to go to Sea World on the same day as the San Diego Rock-n-Roll Marathon, however, that turned a 15 minute trip into an 90 minute trip.

Check-in was easy. We had a double queen suite, that was a good size and generally clean, but not spotless. The in-room refrigerator is more than large enough for a few days of food. The kitchen included plates and utensils. Call housekeeping for dishsoap and a cleaning sponge. They also brought us a crib for our little one.

You can stock the fridge with food from the grocery store that's only a couple minutes away, by car. The breakfast is great. The gratis dinner is NOT served on the weekend.

There was supposed to be free wi-fi in the common areas, only; but even there we were never able to get on the network. The front desk personnel were unable to help us with that. They just directed us to the business center. While the computers there are functional, they could probably use some updating. I specifically recall at least one sticky mouse that made navigating the Internet frustratingly inefficient. I think you can pay for a plug in or wi-fi in your room.There were a few eateries near the grocery store, but most of them closed by 9pm.

The jacuzzi had a less than clean appearance, we were told, due to age and nothing else. It would fill with foam when the jets were running. The pool is small, and unless you get there when towels are first stocked in the morning, you may have to bring your own from the room. I understand that they may be improving the pool and jacuzzi.

Parking was free and ample, but not covered.

All things considered, I would go back to this hotel with my family, but not for a couples getaway or any special occasion.

• Stayed: June 2011
2  Thank Haaliki
Reviewed June 22, 2011

Me and my wife stayed here with our 2 kids. I thought it was excellent. The pool was a little small but was fine. What's nice was the free breakfast. We used it everyday before we went out for the day. Kids had plenty of choices and the coffee was very good I thought. They had a free basic dinner at night but we did not make used of it. We had a suite with 2 queens. Internet worked fine. Some of it was a little dinged up but the room was very clean. One thing I wish the room had was a safe. I had no place to keep my laptop. Anyway, Del Mar was very nice and appeared safe so maybe I had nothing to worry about. Hotel was 10-15 minutes from San Diego. Overall I would recommend this place. Free parking too.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank ejudge
Reviewed June 16, 2011

During a 4-day family reunion in the area, the Homewood Suites Del Mar was our home base and very well worth every penny.

PROS: Located just off of Interstate 5, the Homewood Suites is easily accessible from all points on a compass. Despite its close proximity to the highway, there is little to no traffic noise - being situated on a hill certainly helps. Torrey Pines State Park & Beach are within a 5-7 minute drive. For the active-types, you'll certainly get your running in with the surrounding hills and spacious bike lanes which will take you right to Torrey Pines, or should you crave a little more inland trail running action, Los Penasquitos Inland Preserve resides just to the east. There are beach supplies available for rent (beach chairs, umbrella, boogie board) individually or as a package deal ($30) which is convenient for beach-goers that packed light. There are multiple grocery stores (Vons) and restaurants within driving distance or utilize the handy shuttle provided by Homewood Suites. There is plenty of room in a King-size suite to stock up the fridge and freezer.

The room itself was very well kept and housekeeping maintained strong attention to detail by restocking the room with fresh towels each day. Kitchen supplies are abundant all the way down to the mini-cutting board. Our room overlooked the courtyard in which a small pool and hot tub were situated among tropical plants.

We also checked out their evening reception as the schedule was posted on the fridge. Their daily offerings vary from enchiladas, teriyaki chicken, and of course the BBQ Thursday nights. While outside dining options throughout San Diego are delicious, the evening reception is convenient and satisfying as it is accompanied by a full and fresh salad bar. The wine offerings left much to be desired. It would be nice to see some offerings from local vineyards (i.e. Temecula). Breakfast showcased the strength of Homewood Suites with real eggs (not that powdery, dry stuff), sausage, bacon, potatoes, fresh fruit (not day-old), and waffles.

CONS: It was tough to find one, however, travelers should note that wireless internet access is available only on the first floor rooms. Only hardwired, ethernet connections are available on the other floors. This may be problematic for some - not all. There is a spa at the nearby Hilton Garden Inn which we did not take advantage of, however, while comparing prices to the spa just down the road, the prices at the hotel spa were relatively high for treatments.

Homewood Suites Del Mar left no stone unturned and delivers a viable option to all types of travelers from business to recreational - the best value and location to enjoy all that San Diego has to offer.

Room Tip: 2nd floor, courtyard or overlook Torrey Pines
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank ReeseTM
Reviewed June 14, 2011

My family spent 4 nights at the Homewood Duites over March Break. The staff was terrific. The hotel clean and well appointed. The breakfast and dining area were well staffed so it was a great start to our day. I just wish they had free wireless in the rooms. Highly recommended and I would happily stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2011
1  Thank Mike D
Reviewed June 7, 2011

Homewood Suites was a great place to stay and use as a base for our day excursions to Legoland, Seaworld, Carlsbad and San Diego Metro Area. At the same time, service was excellent throughout. The free breakfasts and dinners was convenient and great way to start and end the day, but also surprisingly good.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a convenient place that's in between all the locations/attractions I listed above.

Room Tip: Try to ask for an outside facing room
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family