“Build more Homewood Suites! Loved it!!!”

Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego-Del Mar
Ranked #22 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed October 15, 2007

I will definitely seek out Homewood Suites at all my travel destinations from now on, even tho I think they are just getting started and are few and far between. This was the nicest, and most comfortable, and affordable suite I have ever stayed in. Nicer than the suites that say they have a kitchen but it's only a fridge and microwave. This suite had a seperate kitchen with stovetop, microwave, full size fridge, cooking utensils, plates, silverware. And the room was big and comfortable, lots of drawers and closet space and my favorite and wish more hotels would do this-cabinets and drawers in the bathroom. I read a negative in another review that the walls are thin and you can hear your neighbors and this is true. I had a crying baby on one side and a very loud man on the other, but the AC fan drowned them out. My only complaint would be the lighting in the seperate shower room, it was pretty dim. But over all it was a very pleasant stay-I could live in that room comfortably! Nice area too, isolated-you don't hear all the traffic. There are grocery stores within a few blocks, easy access to the freeways. OH, and the internet was DSL, not wireless, which was a bit of a pain.

Stayed: October 2007
2  Thank pamela c
Write a ReviewReviews (1,632)

Reviewed September 30, 2007

We just stayed at this hotel for seven days and have nothing but praise to give.
The hotel staff were friendly and helpful.
The room was comfortable, clean, and very spacious.
The breakfast and evening meals were not only good but much more than expected. After reading some reviews I was expecting not much more than an expanded continental breakfast and an afternoon snack. The meals were plentiful and and very delicious.
We have two small children and they were well recieved by hotel staff and other guests.
Also we had no problems with noise from other rooms.
Finally as for location, we heard many issues about this hotel being out of the way, however this could not be further from the truth. If you have a car, access to anywhere in the San Diego area is simple since the I5 is so easy to get on and off. We were never more than 20 minutes away from any place we wanted to be. (ie.. downtown, legoland, seaworld, zoo, shopping, airport etc...)
Great Job!
We will surly return

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank Bortch
Reviewed August 28, 2007

We spent 4 nights in a 2-queen suite here in August 2007, after reading the previous reviews. Everything about this hotel was fantastic, except for the very thin wall, which I believe may be the thinnest among all the hotels I've ever stayed at. The following is the detailed story.

First, the previous reviews mentioned it could be difficult to find this hotel for the 1st time. This was true for me. The point is that from Hwy 5, you have to take "Local Bypass", which merges with the ramp to Hwy56, before reaching the Carmel Mountain Road exit.

We checked in around 2pm. Our suite is at the corner on 4th (top) floor. Across the hallway is the stairway entrance, making it feel like a small section of private hallway.

When we first entered the suite, it was really "wow" - the living room and bedroom are both quite spacious, with new décor. I think this hotel is about 2 years old or so. The small kitchen includes 2-coil range, microwave, full kitchen, dishwasher (no detergent available, though), a small dining table, chairs, etc. It really feels like home. The bathroom is small, with the sink (vanity area) separated. There is a door between the living room and rest of the suite, while there is no door between the vanity area and bedroom. The bedroom is right next to the bedroom of our neighbor (a fatal design, but I think it's unlikely to have the bedroom really at corner, due to bathroom pipe connection). The central A/C system is quiet and nice, and the fan does stop blowing when the set temperature is reached (I encountered a non-stop fan blowing on a bed somewhere else before). The living room has a sofa, desk, TV, while the bedroom also has a TV. There is an ok mountain view. If we opened the window, we could hear the highway/traffic noise, but as long as the window is closed, it's ok. The construction is on the other side of the building, so I didn’t hear anything of it, even in the day time.

The hotel is in the middle of some business park and townhouses. It looked safe around here. While it's close to Hwy 5 exit, there is virtually no shop/restaurant around. About 1 mile away, with easy local driving, there is a plaza with the supermarket (Vol's), Subway, a Chinese food pick-up(ok), and an Italian restaurant (didn't try).

It's quite convenient to visit Sea World, Zoo, Balboa Park, La Jolla, etc, from here. We never encountered any traffic jam on Hwy 5, as the gridlock is at the Hwy 5 section north of Hwy56 (all day long, around Del Mar). When we came back to the hotel in late afternoon/evening, we did notice big traffic jam on Hwy 5 south, from La Jolla to Sea World, but we never needed to drive south in that time frame.

We tried the hotel's free light dinner (Mon-Thur only) on the 1st night. It happened to be the type of the food I don't like at all, such that we didn't dare to try the free dinner for the rest of our stay. They do provide the menu, with different variety for each night, so do check that before you plan for dinner.

The free breakfast buffet is pretty good, with the waffle machine, in addition to hot scrambled egg, ham/sausage.

Now coming back to the thin wall. In our 1st night of stay, before I went to bed ~ 10:30pm, I heard some argument from a man and a woman in the adjacent room. It didn't sound like yelling, and it appeared the wall between our bedroom and our neighbor’s is pretty thin. When I finally went to bed, the woman started to weep. What a night! To make things worse, our beds are right next to that thin wall, with the headboards right on it, so my head was very close to that thin wall. The episode went on until midnight or so.

The 2nd night was better. I could still hear some brief talking. It sounded the unhappy couple had checked out. I could hear when my neighbors took shower, which didn't really bother me.

Then the 3rd night, around 2am, we were waken up by the 5-10 minute hacking cough of our neighbor. Worse came worse - at 6am, we were awaken by the music alarm of our room. We never set the alarm and didn't hear the alarm in the previous mornings. Anyway, since we couldn't 100% exclude our 5-year old son as the culprit (he denied it, and we doubted he would know how to set it up), we didn't complain this to the hotel. Anyway, it's a good idea to always double check the alarm is not set, even on the 3rd night of stay.

Before I went to bed on the 4th night, I already developed some anxiety for sleeping here – I didn’t know what would happen, and my sleep was in the control of my neighbors. Unfortunately, my neighbors came back after 10pm, and kept talking. They didn’t shout or yell, but the wall is so thin that unless you intentionally lower down the voice, your neighbor will hear you. At around 12am, I got fed up and decided to try the sofa bed in the living room. The sofa bed was not comfortable at all, with a thin mattress and no sheet, plus the refrigerator noise. When I went back to the queen size bed at 1am, finally my neighbors had stopped talking.

When I complained this to the hotel staff, they acknowledged the wall is thin. This is a structure problem, and there was nothing they could do.

In summary, I think everything about this hotel is wonderful, except for the very thin wall. However, with paying more than $250 per night, one deserves a better sleep, which is the most important thing. I think the wall of this hotel is probably the thinnest among all the hotels I’ve ever stayed in. I don’t recall being bothered by the voice in the next room, other than the TV sound.

My advice for the light sleepers is: if you can’t tolerate people talking nearby while you sleep, DO NOT stay in this hotel, unless you want to bet on that your neighbors won’t like to stay up late and talk.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
8  Thank PickyCat
Reviewed August 24, 2007

This hotel was GREAT for our family of 5!!! We had LOTS of room. It also had a full kitchen including cookware and dishes, stove, big fridge and even a dishwasher. When we were given our room I was a little worried because we had the last room in the hall closest to an area that they were obviously remodeling. I cannot tune out noises and almost expected to hear everything but heard NOTHING!!! We were gone all day every day for 5 days but when we were there at night it was QUIET!! The breakfast was good, eggs, bacon, sausage, waffles, cereal .... They had evening food too but we weren't ever there to enjoy it. The staff was very friendly and had great maps to get to anything you could want to do or eat. We will absolutely stay there again. This is the kind of place you'd still be happy after a MONTH of staying there!!!!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank LVMV
Reviewed August 22, 2007

This is a very good choice for families with young kids (and others as well) as it includes almost everything, including light dinner (granted, not all the choices will be to your liking, but still...) Nice, quiet room with full kitchen amenities. It's not very close to anything that a tourist would need - still, it's only a 10 minute drive to whatever you do need, and the surrounding area is nice with office buildings and condos. Very helpful front desk and a general manager who actually mingled with the guests. Since San Diego is so large, with attractions all over the place, this property works well if you want to take advantage of stuff all over the metro area - just note that it's not very close to downtown. Solid choice overall.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
1  Thank Googin
Reviewed August 7, 2007

Can't say enough good about this property. The staff was great, breakfast was more than just the ordinary continental breakfast, the rooms were quiet and comfortable. The bed was awesome! Better than my own at home! We used a fold away bed and the sofa bed for our kids, 6 and 4.

Convenient to LegoLand, SD Wildlife Park, the SD Zoo, Balboa Park, and Sea World. We didn't eat dinner there, as there were so many other options around the attractions, but it smelled good! Was a very short drive to the Coaster train station, where we took the train to Carsbad Village and walked to the beach!

Internet access was easy to use and check emails (and eBay!). The pool was fine.

As long as you don't need restaurants close (walking distance), I would highly recommend Homewood Suites. As a matter of fact, we enjoyed our stay so much, we've booked a room at Homewood Suites in Orlando in January...

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank Wilross3
Reviewed July 21, 2007

I cannot say enough about this hotel. They cover all the bases. Rooms are excellent and spotless. Staff is friendly and professional. The breakfast and weekday dinners are wonderful. It is close to everything you want to see in San Diego. Bravo to Homewood Suites in Del Mar! You made our vacation with our 3 kids less stressful and more fun!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family