“Good food with friendly service”

Buga Korean Barbecue Restaurant
Ranked #662 of 4,768 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Korean
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
San Diego, California
“Good food with friendly service”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I've dined here twice so far and each time, it was a nice experience. The service was a bit peculiar but I think it's because of the language barrier. The bibimbap is tasty, especially with the spicy sauce. It's served in a large bowl, but ate it family style with the rest of the food.

You cannot go wrong with the bulgogi and the galbi. The side dishes that come with dinner are very tasty. The bean sprout salad, kimchee, and broccoli tofu salad are delicious.

I'd recommend an all you can eat place if you want variety but this is good if you only want a couple of different plates of meat. The portions are quite large.

• Visited February 2013

• Korean first
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,410 helpful votes
“Very good Korean food.....”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We had lunch today here at this restaurant and I have to say it was very good. We've tried a few Korean places around town but I definitely think this is one of the better ones.

The menu is quite extensive and the place is quite large and nicer on the inside than some of the other ones.

There is plenty of parking in the parking lot outside. That's the tough thing about some of the other Korean places is they are in some strip mall type places with not much parking but this parking lot was HUGE.

The staff here is all Korean which is always a good sign. I read the other complaint that said the service was bad but I didn't find that to be the case at all. I think it was the owner that came over and took our order and she checked in with us all throughout the meal several times.

The portions were generous and the side dishes were great. The cellophane noodles (Chop Che) was especially great. The BBQ ribs and we got another marinated meat were both great!

The BBQ entrees are about $30 each which is in line with the other places in town. They also had several lunch specials as well but we opted for the full order of meat.

I found this place from a San Diego Magazine article. I will definitely come back here again and can highly recommend it.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank saintba
Carlsbad, California
“Average Korean BBQ”
Reviewed June 20, 2012

There were 15 of us even with the reservations, they still put us in two separate tables instead of in individual party rooms. Sitting arrangement was awkward and we were all cramped into two booths and one of us sat on a separate chair pretty much blocking the walkway. Our table we ordered BBQ and a couple of tofu seafood soup to share. I would have to say that with 5 big adults and 4 children with big appetites on our table sharing BBQ menu C was plenty. While it was OK, I wouldn't say it was the best BBQ. Our other half of the party were all seniors, who decided to order individual dishes - and they looked really big portions. They seemed to like the food, too, as only one of my aunt had some leftover to take home. The service was OK. They only brought us one menu for each table... not sure if this is the culture. My husband is Korean yet he's not sure if this is typical. I have to say that the meat they use for BBQ isn't top quality, although they have sweeter after taste than most traditional Korean BBQ places I'd been to. I would still go back and try the individual item from the menu but not with a huge party as they can't guarantee to accommodate big party to sit together nor would I try the BBQ again. And, the sides dishes were not impressive. Most are very salty and spicy. The seafood pancake/pizza was soggy and some parts of the batters were not cooked. The seafood in the seafood soup wasn't fresh, but the overall flavor was good.

• Visited June 2012
“Great Taste of Korea”
Reviewed January 12, 2012

I was nicely surprised to find a Korean Restaurant next to my accommodation and wanted to try some Korean Food. My husband and I really enjoyed our experience at this place.
We have never eaten Korean before and were delighted. We had a little bit of trouble trying to understand the accent. But, this did not detract from the service and every order was correct. The service was wonderful and the food delightful. A must to visit if not too far out of your direction.

• Visited January 2012
California
“Excellent Food, Poor Service”
Reviewed August 15, 2009

We ordered a large sample platter of meat, pork, shrimp and noodles to BBQ right in front of us. It cost $50 for 2 people. This, plus all of the side dishes, was delicious. The food came within minutes of our order, however, after that the server didn't come back to our table for an hour to ask us if we needed more water or more sides. It was very frustrating. We also had to finally ask for our bill. Fortunately, the good food outweighed the poor service. I would return just for the food alone.