“Very interesting and surprisingly accessible.”
Review of USS Midway Museum

Ranked #1 of 442 things to do in San Diego
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The USS Midway Museum is San Diego’s newest visitor attraction, this real naval aircraft carrier offers a once in a lifetime opportunity for everyone. Guests of all ages can enjoy a self-guided audio tour featuring 60 exhibits highlighting this “city at sea” and 25 restored aircrafts. Explore galleys, officer’s country and sleeping quarters of a 69,000 ton ship, naturally located in Navy Town USA, a visit to the Midway is uniquely San Diego!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed December 2, 2013

This is a WW2 aircraft carrier that took part in campaigns including the second world war and Vietnam. For those visitors with disabilities clever conversions have made the vast majority of what can be seen wheelchair accessible. Apart from the aircraft which I am my two young children found fascinating what I particularly liked was the storied from volunteers who served for real on the Midway. Getting back to children my kids loved being able to sit in a simulator cockpit of famous aircraft and helicopters. We spent 4 hours there and could have spent longer

There are newer reviews for USS Midway Museum

Reviewed December 2, 2013

Being an old sailor, I found this to be very enjoyable. Even if you're not a little salty, you will enjoy this floating museum. The self-paced audio tours are good and very informative. There is always a live person close by to answer questions and to point out things you might not know.

My wife and I spend 4 hours on the ship and enjoyed every minute of it. She had never been on an aircraft carrier before this.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

Great 1/2 day trip to walk around the USS Midway -- alot of history and very friendly people that are knowledgeable on the middway -- try the flight simulator, pretty realistic.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

Spent more time there then I thought it I would. They had people everywhere to answer questions and I loved to hear the stories from the men who served on board.

Reviewed November 30, 2013

My husband and I had been wanting to visit the USS Midway Museum for quite awhile. Since both of our fathers had had a connection with the US Navy-my father as a Chief with 20 yrs. service and my husband's father as a propulsion engineer with civil service for the Navy for 35 yrs.- we were excited to see the ship. We were not disappointed. You don't realize how big the ship is until you look up and up to the top of the ship and then when you're finally on the ship and look over the flight deck to the ocean below, it is a very long drop! We saw how the enlisted men lived and worked, from their bunk areas (talk about narrow and short bunks!), the showers, the laundry room to the mess halls. The officers had somewhat better quarters but still all the areas were very small. The one thing we noticed was how hot the ship was-no air conditioning and few fans. When we visited it was in July and a fairly warm, humid day in San Diego. The only relief would be to go topside out on the deck. Those who worked in the laundry area had 90+ degree temps to work in and no fans. The volunteers we met were terrific. So helpful and friendly. You can take the self-guide tour and have no problem understanding what you're looking at. This is a walking tour of the ship with lots of ladders to climb up and down and through doorways with high dividers to walk over so it's not for someone with physical difficulties. It does take quite a long time so allow at least 4 hrs or more to explore this glorious old ship. It is well worth the time and effort.