“Wow best combo burger I've had”
Review of Hodad's

Hodad's
Ranked #15 of 5,165 Restaurants in San Diego
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Neighborhood: Ocean Beach
Reviewed December 12, 2006

We were at Hodad's Friday December the 1st ' 06 for lunch with another couple and we agree with the other people opinions. We entered the restaurant at 11:30 and had places to sit for lunch but by 12:00 noon there was a line up at the door. It is a real typical california's surfer restaurant and we wanted to go for the ambiance and we were not disappointed. We are from Montreal Quebec Canada and this was really fun because of the music that is played the decor and the friendlyness of the wait staff. Now as far as my combo, wow a real big bacon cheeseburger which was the best I've ever had. Now the fries were awsome and the onion rings were big and tastefull, and to complete, I had a beer to drink. The decor is made of different license plates, wooden tables and chairs of another era that gives the place so much ambiance. This is the ultimate Californian Surfers Restaurant and I'm glad I haven't mist the chance of stopping for lunch and I recommend highly people from other parts of the country or the world to stop and have lunch.

3  Thank RichardQ_11
Write a ReviewReviews (1,942)

Reviewed September 14, 2006

Hodad's sucks. Plain & simple. First, the music is way too loud. You can't even carry on a conversation, like, say, with the waitstaff. Second, they have too few tables, causing waits and the deceptive belief that people are waiting for something worth waiting for. Lastly, and most importantly, the food is mediocre. Burgers are bland. Fries are ho-hum. If you want a great burger, drive northeast to PDQ on Voltaire. If you're on foot or want to stay near the beach, go to South Beach for the best fish tacos anywhere. Just avoid Hodad's. It tastes like the attitudes of its staff: bad.

6  Thank lastlamb
Reviewed August 28, 2006

Topped off my final stay in S.D at Hodad's in Ocean Beach. Beach bum atmosphere, loud music with a butload of license plates on the walls. Youll get dizzy trying to read all ot them. Guy says theres 700 total. The burgers where perfect I had a single, bacon , cheeseburger. Plenty of veggies on a soft bun, meat was crispy on the outside juicy on the inside I prefer mine well done. The fries were potatoe wedges dipped in a batter really crispy and soft. I topped my meal off with an ice cold beer. I was stuffed after this meal, I decided to walk it off by taking a nice stroll down the beach with my family. Great place to eat and plenty to do in the area. Also you can visit the cabrillo monument while your in the area.

2  Thank erodriguez215
Reviewed August 13, 2006

Yes, this is an authentic beach bum hangout.... no corporate 'theme" restaurant here. The eclectic surfer, license plate decor was an interesting diversion while we waited for our burgers to arrive. When the burgers did arrive, we were not dissappointed. Delicious! We also enjoyed a basket of perfectly crisp jumbo onion rings- Yum!

The place is pretty small- we sat right down for lunch at 11:30am., but by the time we left all tables were full and a line was forming.

1  Thank HWlovesmaui
Reviewed August 8, 2006

Now, THAT's a tasty burger! Like other reviewers here, I wondered how good a hamburger could possibly be. The answer, at Hodad's, is unbelievably good. The fries are amazing too, the best I've ever had. They're cut more in chunks than long strings, and they have some kind of tasty salt on them. I didn't get any toppings on my burger except ketchup, but if you do be warned that you'll be dealing with a salad-sized assortment of lettuce, tomato, pickles, onion and sauces on top of an already large burger. The minis are the size of a regular hamburger, the singles are probably 6-8 oz. of meat, and the doubles are... not for the faint of heart.

The dining room is tiny and crowded, with old license plates all over the walls and a surfboard-shaped communal table down the middle, and the music when we were there was loud heavy metal, but it didn't seem to be stopping the clientele, which ranges from three-generation family groups to beautiful young singles, from stuffing their faces with the best burgers ever.

1  Thank florafloraflora