“Big, tasty burgers in a funky setting”
Review of Hodad's

Hodad's
Ranked #10 of 4,776 Restaurants in San Diego
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Takeout
Neighborhood: Ocean Beach
Walnut Creek, California
“Big, tasty burgers in a funky setting”
Reviewed January 22, 2014

I went here because I saw this place being reviewed on DDD. I'll go back because the burgers were fantastic and the portions were huge.
We ordered the Guido and the Bluejay along with an order of Frings. I appreciate it when a waiter tells you that you've ordered too much! He told us an order of Frings is enough for 4 to 6 people so we should only get a 1/2 order. We took his suggestion and were glad we did. They were still more than we could comfortably eat.
The interior was completely covered in license plates and a car cut in half, used as a booth for 3 people. The waiters were unconventional, like the restaurant. A bunch of laid back guys that want to hang out and chat with the customers while providing great service.
The menu is limited in variety but you will certainly find a burger that you will like.
I will go back the next time I'm in San Diego. Ocean Beach is a funky and fun place to visit.

• Visited January 2014

• Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
“Had to try it!”
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

We were in the San Diego area for two weeks and on the last night in town we finally had a chance to try Hodad's after watching DDD. GREAT BURGER! I had the double cheeseburger with bacon, onion rings and a chocolate milk shake. The wife had the same but with a single burger. Everything was delicious and large! Hope I can go back again some day.

Visited January 2014
Chicago, Illinois
“Decent burgers, cool spot”
Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

Right near the beach where we watched surfers. Tasty messy burgers. Nuff said. Wish I had room from onion rings and/or a shake.

Orlando, Florida
“Don't Believe the HYPE!!!”
Reviewed January 17, 2014

When a place is billed as "Having the best burger in America" as it was on DDD,I had some great expectations. Unfortunately, Hodad's definitely didn't live up to the hype. I had never been to OB before so it was cool driving down Newport Ave as it's a really fun, eclectic area and as we approached Hodads, the line was way out the door so something "had" to be special there, right? As it was a beautiful, sunny day in the 80's (who can beat that on Jan 17th?:-)), we decided to get a to go order and eat out on the beach so there was no waiting to place a to go order. The interior is very "rustic", has very much a "dive bar" feeling, covered with license plates from everywhere and extremely crowded. The servers really made an attempt to be friendly however something was just off and they really didn't seem to enjoy working there. The one thing that struck me is that the menu is just that; what you see on the menu is what you get. There is not a lot of customization of burgers allowed. They have a few variations on their burgers listed on the menu and won't vary from that and certain things that we like on burgers such as grilled mushrooms and onions aren't offered and they are very unapologetic about that fact. With lines down the street to get in, I guess they don't have to be. At any rate, once we got the food and went down to the beach, we were just kinda underwhelmed. I mean, it was good but nothing great. Average meat patty...they do go crazy with the veggies and condiments however...kinda makes up for the disappointing patty but not really. Burger was comparable to Bob's Big Boy but not quite as good. I think the 6 dollar burger at Carls Jr is much better as is In & Out's. Their version of fries remind me of the potato wedges or "jojo's" that you can get at the Wal-Mart deli and the shakes, both chocolate and strawberry, were good but again, nothing special. The one standout we did have were the onion rings. Very greasy but some the best that I've ever had(I'm still belching grease from em though:-). All in all, it was a fun afternoon at the beach however I really don't think I'd make the trip again. Prices at Hodad's were too high for the quality of food and service and there are much better places in town. I'm not saying don't go to Hodad's, I'm just saying don't have too high of expectations or you're gonna be sorely disappointed. Don't believe the Hype!!!!

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank JARHEADJ
Dover, New Hampshire
“Sooo yummy!”
Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

Totally lived up to how great I thought it would be! Great burger and amazing onion rings. So glad we went.

Been to Hodad's? Share your experiences!